PDA

View Full Version : PRS Stock Garage Grip

shinigami
01-11-2007, 3:45 PM
So here is my very first grip for my PRS stock....

Prc329 yours is still in the making, check your PM:D

It's still not done yet, just sanded it and still need to do a finish...I need to find a tint that's not so glossy, when it came out it's really shiny so I had to sand it down....I'm thinking of spraying it with plasti dip to have that soft feeling to it. Anyways, this one came out good.

Remember I ain't no mold-maker, molder, whatever etc. person....so this was done in a very amateurish way...all I could say is.....I'm going to the range this weekend!!!

http://simple-photos.smugmug.com/photos/122586104-M.jpg
http://simple-photos.smugmug.com/photos/122586120-M.jpg

Prc329
01-11-2007, 7:09 PM
Very nice. That should work out great.

Gringo Bandito
01-11-2007, 7:13 PM
That looks pretty cool. What is material you used to make the grip?

shinigami
01-11-2007, 7:23 PM
That looks pretty cool. What is material you used to make the grip?

I used a liquid plastic compound called Smooth-Cast 60D.

Here's some more pics:

Take note the grip is not really smooth, I still need to work on it.

http://simple-photos.smugmug.com/photos/122602586-L.jpg
http://simple-photos.smugmug.com/photos/122602582-L.jpg

Prc329
01-11-2007, 7:35 PM
O.k., Wes, I hope you have a lot of mags in stock :)

Gringo Bandito
01-11-2007, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I especially like the thumb rest and the evil black rifle that is attached to it isn't bad either.:D

Prc329
01-16-2007, 4:40 PM
Wow, very nice job. I got my stock today and it feels very good. I'll post photos later today. I have a couple of things I need to discuss with the creator but I must say this makes the PRS a perfect option. Comparing it to my monsterman/A2 combo gun, it feels just as good. Actually a little better due to the thumb rest. The monsterman grip is a great unit and I am not knocking it in anyway. Especially since this grip is specifically tailored for this specific application. Anyone with a PRS Stock should look into this grip when it is finalized or if he decides to make more.

tygerpaw
01-16-2007, 5:08 PM
So the DOJ has no problem with that stock being adjustable, they wont consider it an evil telescoping stock? I dont think they should, but you never know.

SC_Chewy
01-16-2007, 5:15 PM
I was just looking at that stock online and already have the monsterman grip so was wondering to myself" i dont' think my grip will work if I got that magpul but voila! Dont show it the guy *****in about olls though....hater.....
looks good....I'm amazed at people who don't create anything and armchair quarter back their whole life, shows some creativity for sure...

James R.
01-16-2007, 6:54 PM
Too sketch, the stock collapses. I know it's just variable LOP but I'd not be surprised if they call that a telescoping stock, in court...

Main Entry: 2telescope
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -scoped; -scop·ing
intransitive verb
1 : to become forced together lengthwise with one part entering another as the result of collision
2 : to slide or pass one within another like the cylindrical sections of a collapsible hand telescope
3 : to become compressed or condensed
transitive verb
1 : to cause to telescope
2 : COMPRESS, CONDENSE <the book arbitrarily telescopes time and space -- Phoebe Adams>

There is nothing about the term telescoping that speaks to the degree to which something must be condensed in order to be called telescoping.

Regards,

James R.

Prc329
01-16-2007, 7:04 PM
I do not think a judge would consider this a collapsible stock. It only adjust about an inch and is not a quick adjusting stock like the typical M4 stock.

Does anyone have the DOJ definition of a collapsible stock?

James R.
01-16-2007, 7:17 PM
I do not think a judge would consider this a collapsible stock. It only adjust about an inch and is not a quick adjusting stock like the typical M4 stock.

Does anyone have the DOJ definition of a collapsible stock?

Here's the definition given in the glossary of the the Assault Weapons Coloring Book, IMHO it represents one interpretation of the term collapsing.

Stock, collapsing - A stock which is shortened by allowing one section to telescope into another.

The actual law uses a different word...telescoping (which I used) Vs collapsing which you used as well as the coloring book. Goes to show how they can't even get their terms straight...

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. (B) A thumbhole stock. (C) A folding or telescoping stock. (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

IMHO part of that stock collapses into the other part, albeit by a very small amount. Not trying to rain on your parade, I'd just rather not see a fellow Calgunner go to jail over a 1" variability in LOP. Is there a way to lock that adjustment down?

Regards,

James R.

PS - I'm sure others have seen this, but it's interesting that they show an AR pattern rifle in there with a fixed stock, no flash supressor/hider and a cut off pistol grip with a complete grip sitting next to it. Kinda tells you that they intend to foster in police the notion that a non PG AR style rifle is still an assault weapon even if it has no additional evil features. It is in the AR series weapons section so maybe they're trying to illustrate that even minus the characteristics that make an AW it's still an AW if it's on the Kasler list. There isn't any text on that page which speaks to such logic however...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

PDF Page 75 out of 96, document page 65.

Prc329
01-16-2007, 7:21 PM
I'm pretty sure there can be. I don't adjust it anyway. Once I got it set, it stays that way. Nothing a little epoxy or a small screw couldn't fix.

I completely understand your concern. I wouldn't want to get jailed over an inch either :)

taquito971
01-16-2007, 7:30 PM
I think this is more along the lines of an adjustable stock. But that's just me.

James R.
01-16-2007, 7:30 PM
I think this is more along the lines of an adjustable stock. But that's just me.

He would do well to submit it to the CADOJ for an opinion...

Regards,

James R.

Prc329
01-16-2007, 7:36 PM
That's the main problem. Telescoping and adjustable can be seen as two diffrent things. They even use different buffer tubes. Well at least I do not know of any telescoping stocks that use a rifle length buffer tube.

blksheep1
01-16-2007, 7:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, for one thing closed its still almost a full length stock and second its not a quick adjust stock. Judge would be hard pressed to nail you for this style stock.

Prc329
01-16-2007, 7:54 PM
Here are the pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/Guns/IMG_0605.jpg

The thumb rest works perfect. Very comfortable. Feels like a bolt action rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/Guns/IMG_0607.jpg

It shouldn't be that difficult to lock the stock in its current position. It is fully extended so I could easily ad a small screw or epoxy something in place to keep it from being adjusted.

James R.
01-16-2007, 8:06 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, for one thing closed its still almost a full length stock and second its not a quick adjust stock. Judge would be hard pressed to nail you for this style stock.

That avatar is likely to ruffle some feathers round here...

Regards,

James R.

shinigami
01-16-2007, 8:21 PM
I guess I'll just have to send the stock to the DOJ and find out if they think it's a collapsible stock:rolleyes:

soopafly
01-16-2007, 10:37 PM
So the DOJ has no problem with that stock being adjustable, they wont consider it an evil telescoping stock? I dont think they should, but you never know.

I thought we hashed this out already in another thread? The Magpul PRS is not a collapsing or telescoping stock because at its shortest length, it is still a full size stock.

I will also need one of these grips when the production version is ready.:)

Cazach
01-17-2007, 8:34 AM
Looks nice! You need an ambi safety now.

Prc329
01-17-2007, 8:45 AM
On Order :)

Omega13device
01-17-2007, 8:57 AM
...and a LaRue SPR scope mount too. Yikes.

Chaingun
01-17-2007, 9:09 AM
Nice design.

SunriseF150
01-17-2007, 9:09 AM
Nice looking grip. I've been thinking about doing something like this with an extra grip I have. I've got some experience is doing fiberglass stereo work so it should be easy.

Prc329
01-17-2007, 9:44 AM
I plan on getting out to On Target today to see how it handles. It depends though because my daughter is sick. If I can't then Angeles on Sunday. It feels very good and controllable in my hands. I can't wait to see what it will do. On Target is only 25 yards but with a couple of small targets and it being offhand will be interesting test for the grip. With my monsterman I was able to get very nice groups. In some cases better then my pistol grip (could have just been an off day though).

The only problem I see with a featureless build is I tend to go threw more ammo faster :) I can load two magazines in the same amount of time it takes me to load a fixed mag.

shinigami
01-17-2007, 3:49 PM
So I've decided not to "mass produce" this grip.... won't be selling it like the MM Grip etc. but if you want to have one you can just pay for the materials that I use to make this grip.

PM me for the price or if you have any questions about it.

I can only make a couple grips each day as it interferes with my business. So it will be by request only.

It takes 25 minutes to fully cure the grip. And add 2-3 days for the postman/woman to bring it to your door (Priority Mail).

And...that's it.

Thanks!