PDA

View Full Version : Kel-tec 308 bullpup

JWC6
01-11-2007, 2:43 PM
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2505;action=display;num=1168555223

hmm. I wonder if they can alter the grip....

CSACANNONEER
01-11-2007, 2:47 PM
Can't wait to see a MM grip on one!

Aluisious
01-11-2007, 2:50 PM
That's a really impressive rifle.

Too much fun for California.

xenophobe
01-11-2007, 2:58 PM
Wow. I have been waiting over a decade for that exact rifle.

shark92651
01-11-2007, 3:07 PM
Hmmm... Guess all we need is one of those "bullet as a tool" mag release kits developed for this and then we are good to go. Since Kel-tec even went through the trouble of developing a California version of the SU-16 then perhaps this is something they could be willing to develop. If not, I'm sure someone on this board will have one figured out in about an hour :)

Here is a direct link to the PDF brochure:
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf

Aluisious
01-11-2007, 3:12 PM
Hmmm... Guess all we need is one of those "bullet as a tool" mag release kits developed for this and then we are good to go. Since Kel-tec even went through the trouble of developing a California version of the SU-16 then perhaps this is something they could be willing to develop. If not, I'm sure someone on this board will have one figured out in about an hour :)
Maybe we should petition Kel-Tec to develop a CA version without evil features or with a factory fixed magazine...?

adamsreeftank
01-11-2007, 3:36 PM
Maybe we should petition Kel-Tec to develop a CA version without evil features or with a factory fixed magazine...?

I'd vote for a muzzle break and a fin-style grip. Then 20 rounder fal mags are good to go.

bu-bye
01-11-2007, 3:40 PM
those lying SOB's! I have been asking them for years for a 308 rifle and they always told me they have no plans:mad: . Put a MM grip on that bad boy and I'll buy one! Sadly I don't think an SRB will work on it:D ;) .

ketec_owner
01-11-2007, 3:49 PM
Hehe - I know. We apparently were heard!

pacificcoast
01-11-2007, 3:52 PM
i don't like the bullpup design. i always thought that they looked ugly, and i've never been fond of my check resting right against the chamber, but i gotta say that rifle looks sweet! someone should convince keltec to make one with a tilting/hanging magazine, the same way that the berett .50bmgs were made. the design looks like it lends itself to that option.

shark92651
01-11-2007, 3:55 PM
Unfortunately it appears that the grip is not a single removable piece but one that houses a lot of the trigger assembly. It may be possible to top-load it depending on how it breaks down. The CA version of the SU-16 was really more of a merge between the features of the "C" and the "A" models, along with a marketing campaign, rather than something that was made exclusively for the California market. I still think a tool operated mag-lock may be possible though. I suppose no CA FFL would touch one of these rifles unless it already had some sort of mag-lock kit installed out of state?

50 Freak
01-11-2007, 4:05 PM
I talked with the Keltec owner a few Shot Shows ago about the P-32 and P3AT. It is my understanding that they have no interest in selling their wares in CA except the SU-16 as CA is pretty much their only market as the rest of the US can get an AR and are not to "thrilled" about it.

Basically I got the impression they give a crap about CA or selling to CA unless it was a product (SU-16) that is pretty much unwanted anywhere else.

With a neat 308 bullpup design like that, I'm sure they will have no problem selling it to the other states, they don't need CA, so don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Shame though, I'd love a 308 bullpup.

Just my $.02

OptionX3
01-11-2007, 5:40 PM
OMG! I think I found the perfect .308 rifle. Didnt think my M1As and FAL dreams can crumble instantly. Thank God I'm moving to WA in 7 months. :)
PS> I never thought much about Kel-Tec even though I do own 2x SU-16CAs. Only consider them as low/mod tier company.

NeoWeird
01-11-2007, 5:48 PM
Any one else concerned about ejection jams? I mean the whole "gently deposited" chute design sounds nice and all (especially for reloaders) but as well all know even our magazines may feed improperly from time to time, and now we have a second 'feeding' stage to worry about as well? Not to mention blockages, cases double wedging on rapid fires, burs grabbing the edges, or irregulag shaped cases getting lodged in the chute. If you ask me, it sounds like this has the potential to be a MAJOR flaw since it doesn't seem to have ANY way of ensuring the cases fall free from the chute outside of gravity, and then what happens when you are not shooting in a perfectly flat direction??

Q
01-11-2007, 6:02 PM
Any one else concerned about ejection jams? I mean the whole "gently deposited" chute design sounds nice and all (especially for reloaders)
i think the poop shute ejection design is kind of a copy of the fs2000. it looks pretty cool. maybe a poops mag lock or similar would hold it in. but reloading i don't know. it breaks apart really funky. after seeing some of the su-16 dissasters i would like to see this out for a year or two and see if the 308 cartridge will crack their plastic stock as the 223 had done with the ca models.

69Mach1
01-11-2007, 6:38 PM
Damn, that thing is sweet. This is a HUGE leap for Kel-tec.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSCF0483tec.jpg

dondo
01-11-2007, 7:07 PM
Damn, that thing is sweet. This is a HUGE leap for Kel-tec.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSCF0483tec.jpg

Yeah that rifle is prett.........damn that girl in the background is stacked.

bu-bye
01-11-2007, 7:12 PM
Yeah that rifle is prett.........damn that girl in the background is stacked.

What rifle?:confused:

damon1272
01-11-2007, 7:31 PM
It looks as if the grip is molded into the stock. i do think that this could be worked around to make it Cal legal with a little kydex.

shark92651
01-11-2007, 7:49 PM
Any one else concerned about ejection jams? I mean the whole "gently deposited" chute design sounds nice and all (especially for reloaders) but as well all know even our magazines may feed improperly from time to time, and now we have a second 'feeding' stage to worry about as well? Not to mention blockages, cases double wedging on rapid fires, burs grabbing the edges, or irregulag shaped cases getting lodged in the chute. If you ask me, it sounds like this has the potential to be a MAJOR flaw since it doesn't seem to have ANY way of ensuring the cases fall free from the chute outside of gravity, and then what happens when you are not shooting in a perfectly flat direction??

I was wondering that myself. I had a problem with FTE on my SU-16CA until I replaced the extractor with a Bushmaster - and that design is trivial compared to what they have here. Still, it could be a very sweet rifle if it comes through in the quality dept.

Q
01-11-2007, 7:52 PM
It looks as if the grip is molded into the stock. i do think that this could be worked around to make it Cal legal with a little kydex.
anything is possible with enough imagination and patience. maybe a fin that goes all the way to the front of the mag. the grip looks like there are screws or bolts a fin could attach to. it might need new screws or pins.

damon1272
01-11-2007, 8:01 PM
That is what I was thinking.

JPN6336
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Or a hacksaw.

40calibermikey
01-12-2007, 5:49 AM
I think we all must think about a way to make this Cali legal. I've been waiting for a rifle like this and I can't wait the 5 years till I move to vegas!!

drclark
01-12-2007, 4:54 PM
From looking at the photos and the cad pictures in the .pdf file it looks like there are bolts/screws just forward and behind the mag release lever. Wouldn't be too hard to make a metal or plastic cover that attaches to these screws and prevents the mag relese from being pressed. Said cover could then have a hole/slot cut in it that only allows the mag release to be actuated using a tool or bullet tip.

drc

http://www.maj.com/gallery/drclark1/MISC/dscf0483_edit.jpg

Builder
01-12-2007, 5:15 PM
Yes, it looks like the area behind the pistol grip could be filled in to prevent the "pistol grip" grip.
A fixed 10 rounder hopefully would be an alternative, ie bullet tip as a tool.
Thanks,
Builder

aileron
01-12-2007, 5:50 PM
Im just shocked I didnt notice the girl in the background. :(

Like the rifle a lot but Im not going to get my hopes up. I think I would prefer it in 6.8; though .308 works. :cool:

Jon
01-12-2007, 7:59 PM
The online chatter about $2k-$3k price is kinda what is making me go 'hmmm'. For that price, I think I'd rather drop it on the new Magpul Masada (x2).

Aluisious
01-12-2007, 8:42 PM
Im just shocked I didnt notice the girl in the background. :(

Like the rifle a lot but Im not going to get my hopes up. I think I would prefer it in 6.8; though .308 works. :cool:
That's OK, I mistook her for a hippopotamus the first time, too.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
01-13-2007, 7:43 AM
Im just shocked I didnt notice the girl in the background.

You think thats good, check out what's in the background in this picture

http://www.torontopics.com/co/rachel4.jpg

Jon
01-13-2007, 8:14 AM
Mmmm, apples.

Rumpled
01-14-2007, 2:44 PM
You think thats good, check out what's in the background in this picture

http://www.torontopics.com/co/rachel4.jpg

An AC unit?
Is that 5 ton? Hot!:D

blacklisted
01-14-2007, 2:54 PM
Looks like a dumpster to me.

gunrun45
01-14-2007, 9:13 PM
I want one!!! I've been sending them emails for 2 years aboutmaking a 308 rifle that takes FAL mags. To bad they dodn't make it in a more SU-16 type format that we could break in half to pack around on camping trips and the like.

I'd pay $600-$700 for one

laabstract
01-14-2007, 9:19 PM
Time for me to move to vegas.

E Pluribus Unum
01-15-2007, 1:31 AM
A "grip" option for this rifle I would think would not be an option for it to keep the detachable mag. Even without a pistol grip it is still a "forward grip". It would almost have to be a pinned mag (I would think).

DedEye
01-15-2007, 2:14 PM
Wow. I never really liked the look of Kel-Tecs, but that looks like a beauty.

C.G.
01-15-2007, 2:26 PM
A "grip" option for this rifle I would think would not be an option for it to keep the detachable mag. Even without a pistol grip it is still a "forward grip". It would almost have to be a pinned mag (I would think).

I don't think you could load it if you were to pin the mag. With some engineering on Kel-Tecs part, they could make the butstock longer and gripable, with the trigger just past the mag (since it is on an extension anyway). I wonder how the FAL mags will work, since they didn't do so well on the Bushmaster .308.

SC-Texas
01-15-2007, 4:11 PM
Why did;t the FAL mags do so well in the bushmaster .308?

rorschach
01-15-2007, 4:17 PM
Why did;t the FAL mags do so well in the bushmaster .308?

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here guys), to accomodate the FAL mags, the Bushie receiver had a weak spot in the receiver which developed cracks over time.

C.G.
01-15-2007, 4:35 PM
From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here guys), to accomodate the FAL mags, the Bushie receiver had a weak spot in the receiver which developed cracks over time.

I thought it was the bolt carrier not properly treated and because of the FAL mag did not allign properly; I could be wrong since those were posts from about two years ago.

WallySparx
01-15-2007, 5:22 PM
so, have feinstein and company determined that the forward eject effectively doubles the firing power yet?

C.G.
01-15-2007, 5:42 PM
The rumor on Sniper's hide is that they will cost $2,000-$3,000 and will not come out till January 2008.

SC-Texas
01-15-2007, 8:11 PM
For that money, why not get a proven rifle like the AUG or the FN2000?

C.G.
01-15-2007, 8:21 PM
For that money, why not get a proven rifle like the AUG or the FN2000?

Or anything else for that matter.

rorschach
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I thought it was the bolt carrier not properly treated and because of the FAL mag did not allign properly; I could be wrong since those were posts from about two years ago.

I stand corrected sir.:)