PDA

View Full Version : why arent more non violent offenders sentenced to home detention?

freonr22
08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
The ankle bracelet type...
I just never hear much about it. santa clara county

hitman13
08-02-2011, 3:43 AM
It's supposed to be "punishment", not "chill time"....

adrenaline
08-02-2011, 4:29 AM
Depending on the individual, time at home may be worse than time in prison.

Roddd
08-02-2011, 4:54 AM
It's also very hard to monitor.

Hopalong
08-02-2011, 6:19 AM
I'm not a LEO, but my apprentice's ex girlfriend recently got into some trouble

He told me that she got the home detention deal, bracelet monitoring thing

And that it is fairly expensive

Apparently the offender has to pay, and show that they have the ability to pay

Since you can't get blood out of a stone

Well, I guess that's why we pay instead

Tacit Blue
08-02-2011, 7:20 AM
I'm not a LEO, but my apprentice's ex girlfriend recently got into some trouble

He told me that she got the home detention deal, bracelet monitoring thing

And that it is fairly expensive

Apparently the offender has to pay, and show that they have the ability to pay

Since you can't get blood out of a stone

Well, I guess that's why we pay instead

This is 100% true, the offender pays for the ankle bracelet monitoring service.

bob7122
08-02-2011, 7:37 AM
my not so smart brother in-law had the ankle stuff and that is really effective in putting a damper on their life. they have to be at home by a certain time or they will be in deep sh#$, and when they are at home they better not cross over the border or again they will get into deep sh*(.

all they can do is work and then go straight home, and if they try to remove it they will go to jail.

weimarccw
08-02-2011, 1:54 PM
While the offender pays, the penal code allows for an ability to pay determination. Whichever entity makes that decision (varies by county in CA) they can place the offender on a payment plan, reduce the fee, or completely eliminate it. My experience is the usage of electronic monitoring equipment varies by County and depends on whether the alternative sentencing programs are run by Probation or the Sheriff, as well as the politics of the County overall (conservative or liberal). I would expect to see more of a shift to these programs with AB109 (and associated legislation) shifting a bigger offender pool under each of the Counties responsibility.

I also believe these programs should be used much more. Do we want to pay to punish, or have the offender share in the payment and maintain their responsibility to family, contribution to our tax base, etc.....