PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County Probation

BigKevLA
08-01-2011, 7:32 PM
Are there any Riverside County Probation Officers on here?

I'm scheduled to have my oral interview on August 9th.

TheExpertish
08-04-2011, 2:21 PM
Good luck. Tips: Lean forward to show interest, and pause to clearly think about your answers. Don't just blurt out what comes off the top of your head. Typically there are no wrong answers. They're looking to see how you process things. Do a google search for tips for passing an oral board.

762.DEFENSE
08-04-2011, 2:23 PM
Be professional, and wear a dry cleaned and pressed suit every time you go in, even if it's to just drop off a piece of paper.

BigKevLA
08-04-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have interview skills squared away. I'm more interested in speaking with someone that has working knowledge of Riverside Probation.

scootergmc
08-04-2011, 7:39 PM
Aside from interviewing skills, if you want to know where the money is coming from for the positions, familiarize yourself with AB109, parole realignment, SB678, etc. http://cpoc.org/ has some useful information right now. Also check out http://www.appa-net.org/eweb/ for some general info. You could also just walk into the department and ask to speak to someone about the positions themselves. Bold, but hey, you never know. Someone may take the time and talk to you. Good luck.

weimarccw
08-05-2011, 8:31 AM
Aside from interviewing skills, if you want to know where the money is coming from for the positions, familiarize yourself with AB109, parole realignment, SB678, etc. http://cpoc.org/ has some useful information right now.

+1. The information relative to AB109 and SB678 speaks not only to the money, but the philosophy currently in the forefront of the industry in CA.

BigKevLA
08-05-2011, 9:37 AM
+1. The information relative to AB109 and SB678 speaks not only to the money, but the philosophy currently in the forefront of the industry in CA.

Yes very good points but I also want to get some background from a inside person that does the work. Looking at a website will only give you a PR piece.
Realignment is the driving force for the current recruitment but the agency culture is already set.

I also don't think but I could be wrong that Riverside Probation or any other agency is going to put their new officers on the caseloads that are coming from CDCR.

Watchur6
08-05-2011, 9:46 AM
Bigkev,
Are you in the process for Deputy Probation officer ot Corectional Deputy Probation officer?

weimarccw
08-05-2011, 9:52 AM
While you are spot on about new officers (assuming no level of prior experience) being placed on caseloads responsible for post release community supervision offenders, the link to CPOC is not to a "pr" piece. I applaud you for wanting to learn the culture of the agency you wish to join as each county's agency will have a different spin. With that said, FWIW, SB678 addresses implementation of Evidence Based Best Practices. AB109, while being realignment, has, IMHO, the intent of pushing the SB678 ideals into a continuum of services in an attempt to not rely as heavily on incarceration. Right, wrong or otherwise, incarceration is expensive and most counties already have capacity as well as fiscal issues. Good luck in your job hunt.

BigKevLA
08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm in the process for Deputy Probation Officer I. I will read and research the links provided. I've been doing research since February. I'm also in the process with LA County. I'm in Band 1 in LA and just waiting for actual hiring to begin.

I'm fine working for either agency.

BigKevLA
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Had my oral interview today. Now time to wait for the results.

scootergmc
08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Great! What kind of questions did they ask?