PDA

View Full Version : LE Ammo: Anybody else irritated that we don't get the good stuff or 50rd boxes?

2nd Shot
08-01-2011, 7:13 PM
I was browsing ammo online when I realized that just about all of the very best performing defensive pistol ammunition is for sale to LE Only (company policy only, of course). I can alllmost understand after the anti gun media hyped up, and basically fabricated a witch to burn with Black Talon bullets (OMG! They can *cut* somebody if you shoot them with it and might *hurt them* and stuff!!!!!!1!11!!one11!1), and I understand a little more that somebody out there will undoubtedly feed a couple cases of +p+ 9mm through their WWII emergency production battlefield pickup, and then sue the ammo company when it blows the F up...

But still though, what's the deal with tossing us "simple civilians" 20 round boxes of either outdated or mediocre performing technology, or bullets that even appear visually similar to LE offerings, but with inferior real world performance in comparison? On top of that, we get to pay 1$/rd for the privilege, which doesn't seem like much to ask for considering how important a role they fill... Until you find that LE ammo costs half as much as well.

Is it really too much to ask to be able to buy a 50 rd box of 147gr Federal HST, or Ranger T or Gold Dot 124gr +P at the local gun store and not have the ammo companies act like they're embarrassed that some slipped into the hands of us no good commoners? Come on now.

Sam
08-01-2011, 7:15 PM
Check ammunition to go. It's where I get my Federal HST for a great price.

nick
08-01-2011, 7:19 PM
Many retailers sell it to "civilians". Ammunitiontogo.com was already mentioned, another one is sgammo.com. I'm sure there're many others.

Oceanbob
08-01-2011, 7:32 PM
I was browsing ammo online when I realized that just about all of the very best performing defensive pistol ammunition is for sale to LE Only (company policy only, of course). I can alllmost understand after the anti gun media hyped up, and basically fabricated a witch to burn with Black Talon bullets (OMG! They can *cut* somebody if you shoot them with it and might *hurt them* and stuff!!!!!!1!11!!one11!1), and I understand a little more that somebody out there will undoubtedly feed a couple cases of +p+ 9mm through their WWII emergency production battlefield pickup, and then sue the ammo company when it blows the F up...

But still though, what's the deal with tossing us "simple civilians" 20 round boxes of either outdated or mediocre performing technology, or bullets that even appear visually similar to LE offerings, but with inferior real world performance in comparison? On top of that, we get to pay 1$/rd for the privilege, which doesn't seem like much to ask for considering how important a role they fill... Until you find that LE ammo costs half as much as well.

Is it really too much to ask to be able to buy a 50 rd box of 147gr Federal HST, or Ranger T or Gold Dot 124gr +P at the local gun store and not have the ammo companies act like they're embarrassed that some slipped into the hands of us no good commoners? Come on now.

Come on...Don't sugarcoat your feelings...tell us how you really feel..;)

I reload so I can build hot rounds with bullets I like.

Yes, I still have BLACK TALON.....lol.

Turo
08-01-2011, 7:36 PM
There are quite a few places to buy current police issue ammunition. In fact, I just picked up a 50rnd box of Ranger T series in .40S&W a couple weeks ago at my local gun shop. You can also get them cheaper online.

leelaw
08-01-2011, 7:39 PM
Try changing the venue you're shopping at. "LE" ammunition is largely not restricted (with exception, like AP ammo) and can be had in full box sized at many retailers.

sirgiles
08-01-2011, 8:29 PM
i guess your looking in the wrong places. :)

08-01-2011, 8:34 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php?cName=9mm-hollow-point-ammo

All the LE and +P and +P+ ammunition in 50 round boxes you could ever want.

They do run out of specific ammunition on occasion, but they do try to keep just about eveything in stock.

Good prices and no sales tax.

RollingCode3
08-01-2011, 8:35 PM

Buy it online.

zfields
08-01-2011, 8:38 PM
Buy it online.

Why you wouldnt buy ammo online already is beyond me.

LGS ammo prices (at least the ones I went to ) sucked.

2nd Shot
08-01-2011, 9:08 PM
I did just buy a couple boxes of HST 147gr 9mm from ammunition to go - great selection, also picked up some more 10mm Silvertips while I was at it. I was aware that you can buy it all online.

I don't know if it's cuz we've all settled into an unspoken but acceptable compromise where the ammo company doesn't feel exposed to liability, but we still can get the good stuff if we know the right place to look. It's just that it doesn't seem right that (at least officially) we're offered what amounts to an overpriced, second rate product marketed as a self defense product, when the same manufacturers have demonstrably better products at a significantly reduced cost that would not only perform better, but be more affordable as to facilitate more function checking and training which are also critical.

Dunno if this is making sense, I guess it's more about the attitude and whether your ammo manufacturer also believes that we deserve the best tools for the job as well.

RollingCode3
08-01-2011, 9:14 PM
Why you wouldnt buy ammo online already is beyond me.

LGS ammo prices (at least the ones I went to ) sucked.

i agree. everything online is cheaper.. .. even the fmj is much cheaper online than at walmart.

nimbus
08-01-2011, 9:23 PM
sgammo.com has 50rd boxes of Speer and Winchester Ranger among others if that's what you're looking for. Great company to boot.

paul0660
08-01-2011, 9:27 PM
Dunno if this is making sense

You make sense, but it is a marketing ploy, and we don't have a "right" to great ammo at a price we like. I have a small monthly ammo budget, and am happy that it is possible to get the good stuff at a reasonable price. And, I still wish it were cheaper.

GoingQuiet
08-01-2011, 9:40 PM
The issue at hand is that in many instances, COMMERCIAL distributors will not have 50 round boxes of what you want. Commercially packed SD ammo comes in 20's and thats all we can order and thats all we can sell.

Other larger/specialty outfits will have LE sales and they have the 50 round box stuff. It's not that we don't want to, it's that we can't.

Briancnelson
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Don't blame the manufacturers. Blame (and I cringe to say it, as a lawyer) the lawyers. They don't want to sell +P+ ammo to some bozo who is going to try to shoot it out of the gun he inherited from his father with rust in the barrel. With a cop, they can always rely on informed risk taking by the officer, absent some horrific negligence on their part.

It's the same reason even rakes have 30 paragraphs of warnings printed on their handles these days.

If it bothers you, vote for tort reform. I'm a corporate attorney, it won't hurt my business~

Chief-7700
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I did just buy a couple boxes of HST 147gr 9mm from ammunition to go - great selection, also picked up some more 10mm Silvertips while I was at it. I was aware that you can buy it all online.

I don't know if it's cuz we've all settled into an unspoken but acceptable compromise where the ammo company doesn't feel exposed to liability, but we still can get the good stuff if we know the right place to look. It's just that it doesn't seem right that (at least officially) we're offered what amounts to an overpriced, second rate product marketed as a self defense product, when the same manufacturers have demonstrably better products at a significantly reduced cost that would not only perform better, but be more affordable as to facilitate more function checking and training which are also critical.

Dunno if this is making sense, I guess it's more about the attitude and whether your ammo manufacturer also believes that we deserve the best tools for the job as well.

Just start reloading! My reloads for 9mm and .45ACP are more accurate than factory ammo. Yes I can get the super special LE bullets to reload with and at fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff.

carnelianbay
08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
"LE" labeled ammunition is a marketing tactic. There are no "official" restrictions.

carnelianbay
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Try Tactical Defense Solutions. They have been good to me.

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/ct15992/PISTOL_AMMUNITION

Anchors
08-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I've never been to a gun shop that wouldn't sell me defensive ammo.
I bought some Gold Dot .38 +P Short Barrel a week ago at the gun shop 100 yards from my house. lol.
The other one about 300 yards from my house sells defensive ammo too, but their selection is weak. No Federal HS or Gold Dot (my preferred SD ammo).

i agree. everything online is cheaper.. .. even the fmj is much cheaper online than at walmart.

After shipping it is only cheaper than Walmart if you're buying a case or two.

I got 1000 rounds of brass cased 9mm FMJ at Walmart for $205 out the door (after tax, etc).

That is pretty good considering.

PyroFox79
08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
You could always befriend a cop. I used to get .40 HP for free from a friend in the BP and .45 HP from another friend in the SDPD.

Distro
08-02-2011, 1:56 AM
Vendors should just mark most of their ammo with LE/Military on their site, but sell it to civilians. Easy way to boost up sales. Just like they do with the words tactical, stealth etc a lot of people on here will eat that stuff up and overpay.

**Bug Out Sale**
-Critical Mass Tactical Defensive Rolling Thunder .22SHTF (20ct, $49.99)

bigb0886
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
**Bug Out Sale**

http://golgotron.com/wp-content/uploads/Shut-up-and-take-my-money-300x187.jpg

...just kidding :D

Boltz
08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Vendors should just mark most of their ammo with LE/Military on their site, but sell it to civilians. Easy way to boost up sales. Just like they do with the words tactical, stealth etc a lot of people on here will eat that stuff up and overpay.

**Bug Out Sale**

You got that .22 in LR? I've never heard of this .22SHTF stuff, but my ammo could use some more rolling thunder in it :p

Anchors
08-02-2011, 8:07 PM
You got that .22 in LR? I've never heard of this .22SHTF stuff, but my ammo could use some more rolling thunder in it :p

You've never heard of tactical .22SHTF?

It is kind of like .22 WMR, but puts up the same numbers out of a 2" barrel that .22 WMR gets out of a 20" barrel.

Also it is .22x54r.................:p

RippSpeed
08-02-2011, 8:34 PM
I get my ammo from Explore1046 on the classified... I've purchase 4000+ rds from him, fast shipping too...

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=221835

locosway
08-02-2011, 11:56 PM

I never have an issue getting LEO only ammo... You just gotta know where to shop... :)

David_Lawrence
08-03-2011, 9:09 PM
My local Turners sells Winchester Ranger T for $30. Its not bad considering shipping costs. I bought a couple boxes yesterday.

mdhpper
08-03-2011, 10:15 PM
After shipping it is only cheaper than Walmart if you're buying a case or two.

I got 1000 rounds of brass cased 9mm FMJ at Walmart for $205 out the door (after tax, etc).

That is pretty good considering.

:iagree:

ColdDeadHands1
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Check these guys out for the best prices I could find on Ranger T series. They have also posted here a few times and are Calgunner friendly. Great customer service and fast shipping too!

http://www.sgammo.com/

MASTERLAB
08-03-2011, 11:18 PM
+1 on sgammo, Ranger T is really good stuff :43:

KK762
08-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Just buy the Winchester Bonded PDX1 ammo. It is pretty much the same thing as the Black Talon.

geeknow
08-04-2011, 5:36 AM
Not sure what the op is talking about. Ive got cases of ranget/"LE only" ammo, all of which is packed in 50rd boxes.

I repeat, cases....

geeknow
08-04-2011, 5:38 AM
Sorry, meant to type

"ranger/LE only"

Stoopid phone

91 whiskey 209
08-04-2011, 6:28 AM
In for 411