PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new handgun?

Anchors
08-01-2011, 7:02 PM
Does anything like this exist?

Basically, a pistol somewhere in between the sizes of a Seecamp and a Ruger LCP, but chambered in .22 WMR (.22 Mag)?

I really want something like this, I think it would sell because .22 Mag is pretty cool and you could stack it deep in an LCP sized magazine.

JTROKS
08-01-2011, 7:42 PM
It's going to be one loud pistol.

Anchors
08-01-2011, 9:03 PM
Yeah.
They've made regular sized pistols and small revolvers/derringers in .22 Mag.

Just no small pistols. I think it would be neat to have a Ruger LCP shape/sized gun with however many rounds they could fit in there (even if it is over 10, for outside California sales).

.22 Mag can be a nasty little round.

Anchors
08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Something in between this these sizes

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x275/ccaallaahhaann/380380.jpg

slick_711
08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah.
They've made regular sized pistols and small revolvers/derringers in .22 Mag.

Just no small pistols. I think it would be neat to have a Ruger LCP shape/sized gun with however many rounds they could fit in there (even if it is over 10, for outside California sales).

.22 Mag can be a nasty little round.

Now that you mention it, I've never seen anything like that either. I don't think the capacity would be as high as you're expecting though, .22mag has to sit at a pretty steep angle in the magazine to get it to feed reliably.

JeremyS
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
.22 WMR is a great round and, while most probably would not agree, I would definitely consider carrying it in a teeny defensive gun to use when I could not comfortably CCW something larger.

That said, .22 WMR was designed to be shot from a rifle, and the stats that you see for it (velocity, ft-lbs of energy, etc) are from rifles. It loses A LOT of velocity from a short barrel. If a gun like that came out, and was popular, it would be cool to see some loads made with a quick-burning powder designed to be shot out of a small pistol.

Of course, all that unburned powder is a big reason this round is so very loud with such a great muzzle blast out of a pistol.

Maybe Kel-Tec will scale down their PMR-30 someday and make a slimmer version with a short handle and slide.

Anchors
08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I emailed the idea to Jimenez Arms (aka Bryco, Jennings, RING OF FIRE/SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS hahaha, etc) and North American Arms (they make all the littler revolvers/derringers).

If I had money, I would try to start my own company lol. I've got an engineer friend that I'm sure could design it in about a day and perfect it from there.

wrightb
08-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Phoenix Arms HP22 is about the closest I can think of... Its got a little more weight to it than an LCP, and a lot more bad controls!

Edit: Oops... WMR.. Nevermind!

Anchors
08-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Phoenix Arms HP22 is about the closest I can think of... Its got a little more weight to it than an LCP, and a lot more bad controls!

Edit: Oops... WMR.. Nevermind!

More in line with the size of the Jimenez Arms JA-22 (you can google their site).

But with WMR and IF POSSIBLE double stacking the magazine, even if it only gets you up to 8 or 10 rounds.

I would rather have 10 rounds of WMR than 6 rounds of .25 or .32 lol.

JeremyS
08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm sure NAA could chamber one of their Guardians (http://naaminis.com/index02.html) in it. Since Kel-Tec is double stacking .22 WMR to fit 30 rounds in their PMR-30, which is apparently a reliable and accurate gun, it's clearly doable.

http://naaminis.com/pix/380main.jpg

I actually have an NAA Mini Revolver in .22 LR, and they make them in .22 WMR also. The velocity actually isn't all that different between the two. It's HUGE in a rifle, but out of such a short barrel revolver the % difference between the two velocities is surprisingly small.