PDA

View Full Version : S&W Revolver fans - hellp!! (thanks for the help, I got one!)

orangeusa
08-01-2011, 5:39 PM
I've been lusting after the S&W 686 with a 6" barrel for a while after a buddy of mine let me shoot his pre-lock gun....
And I have no reason other than I don't have a revolver and it's cool as hell... :)
They don't seem as easily found as I thought they would be. ... .. .. I even see a handful of WTB ads for 686's :confused:

QUESTION:
What other S&W models are similiar - 6", stainless, .357 (lock is not a deal breaker). I see a 66 model, which is priced quite a bit higher..

Should I just hold out until a 686 shows up? Or am I missing other models which are similiar? Sorry for the lack of S&W background here...

kurac
08-01-2011, 5:43 PM
Well,

The 686 and 620 are built on an L frame
The 66 is built on a K-frame
The 627 is built on an N-frame

The 686 "should" be the easiest to find used. All will be stainless .357 magnums with adjustable sights. There are some other variations but they will cost more and you probably won't run across them anyways.

shooting4life
08-01-2011, 6:17 PM
686 comes up the most on this board compared to any other models. You can however buy what you want off of gunbroker and have it sent in, see my signature for details

psango
08-01-2011, 6:52 PM
Well,

The 686 and 620 are built on an L frame
The 66 is built on a K-frame
The 627 is built on an N-frame

The 686 "should" be the easiest to find used. All will be stainless .357 magnums with adjustable sights. There are some other variations but they will cost more and you probably won't run across them anyways.

My favorite is the model 686, the L frame just seem to have the right amount of heft between the K and N. Years ago I carried a model 66 on duty and it was a very reliable gun too.

Revoman
08-01-2011, 6:54 PM
I would agree, the 686 should be the easiest revolver to find, especially in 6", I see them often enough. Both new and used.

Most of S&W's line has a '6' designation for stainless as the first digit, but not always.

The 686 has a full-length barrel under-lug which give is a little more weight for less recoil/flip. As stated, it is an 'L' frame which is pretty much the middle of the road medium-heavy frame. A 586 is the same revolver in blue.

The 66 is the stainless version of the Model 19 blued revolver, one of, if not the best revolver of all time....unless you shoot nothing but full-house magnums out of them, I understand that they tend to bend at the top strap from a steady diet of those rounds. (I cannot verify this though it comes from a reliable source.) It does take a long time from what I understand, as I have never tried that many magnums through mine. The 66 has what is called a shrouded ejector rod, which means that the under-lug portion extends just past the ejector rod. Less weight than a 686. The 'K' frame is also lighter.

The 'N' frame is much larger than both the 'K' and 'L' frames and is also way heavier. It was the largest frame that S&W made for a long time, until the 'X' frames came out. The 44 magnum is an 'N' frame revolver for instance.

BillPear
08-01-2011, 6:57 PM
I would scour the for sale forum here and get what I was looking/wanting, it's what I did when I was searching for my 4" 686 and was glad I did!

trashman
08-01-2011, 7:04 PM
The 66 is the stainless version of the Model 19 blued revolver, one of, if not the best revolver of all time....unless you shoot nothing but full-house magnums out of them, I understand that they tend to bend at the top strap from a steady diet of those rounds.

Not quite; the issue is that the K-frame was built for .38 specials and later modified for .357 magnums -- with the intent that you would "carry" .357s but "practice" with .38s.

Although the forcing cone of the barrel is thinner at the bottom (near the axis of the cylinder) for clearance, the likelihood of you doing anything except shooting the gun a little loose (increased play in the cylinder/cylinder stop mateup, or increased barrel/cylinder gap, or timing issues) after 100,000 rounds is pretty slim.

For all the talk about how K-frame magnums can't take the abuse I'll be damned if I've ever laid eyes on one that showed it...but it's one of those things people swear by even though they have never actually seen it happen.

For the OP, the 686 I'd get if I had the chance again would be the 5" 686+ (7 round) with the unfluted cylinder. Pure unadulterated goodness.

--Neill

Fishslayer
08-01-2011, 8:06 PM
These things seem to run in cycles. Be patient, know what you want & always have a wad of cash in hand. When ya got the folding green stuff you can usually negotiate a better deal.

I hunted for over a year before finding my 4" 686.

CessnaDriver
08-01-2011, 8:41 PM
I ordered a new 4" 686P and it was on backorder for a few weeks so even a new one took a little while.

jakuda
08-01-2011, 8:46 PM
Not quite; the issue is that the K-frame was built for .38 specials and later modified for .357 magnums -- with the intent that you would "carry" .357s but "practice" with .38s.

Although the forcing cone of the barrel is thinner at the bottom (near the axis of the cylinder) for clearance, the likelihood of you doing anything except shooting the gun a little loose (increased play in the cylinder/cylinder stop mateup, or increased barrel/cylinder gap, or timing issues) after 100,000 rounds is pretty slim.

For all the talk about how K-frame magnums can't take the abuse I'll be damned if I've ever laid eyes on one that showed it...but it's one of those things people swear by even though they have never actually seen it happen.

For the OP, the 686 I'd get if I had the chance again would be the 5" 686+ (7 round) with the unfluted cylinder. Pure unadulterated goodness.

--Neill

The Model 19/66 is fine with the 148 and 158 grain 357 mag. It's the really hot, 125gn mag loads with the short bullet that can cause cracking of the forcing cone. Even then, one really has to shoot the crap out of your revolver to expect a breakage.

BigDogatPlay
08-01-2011, 8:57 PM

--Neill

FWIW, I've seen a handful of (arguably abused) K frames that showed damage from a heavy diet of nothing but magnum ammo. Cracked forcing cones a couple of times, deep flame cutting in the top strap above the gap most commonly. The 65s and 66s seem to stand up better than 13s and 19s, edge to stainless I guess. Some of my K frames have pretty high round count, but the hottest thing I generally shoot is .38 +P+ through them. I've got N frames for shooting lots of magnums. :)

That said, it's very, very hard to wrong with a 686 of almost any vintage. They are, IMO, the best compromise between power and weight that S&W has ever come up with. They come up in the for sale section here quite often, a couple within the past few days. They are out definitely there.

bwiese
08-01-2011, 9:12 PM
For my wheelgun brothers, y'all might be interested in this special offering from Lipsey's:

It's a 686 (6 shot, not a "Plus"==7) with 4" classic tapered barrel and half-lug in "Mountain Gun" trim.

The overall appearance is that of a 4" K-frame 66 but with the beefier L frame.

While equipped with Hogue rubber grips, this gun is just crying out for repro "Cokes", or some classic Ahrends ...

[Big Bill sez this gun also needs to come out in "586" blued variant as well ;-) ]

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Smith-Wesson-686-Mountain-Gun-357-Magnum.aspx

http://www.lipseys.com/eimages/SM150862.jpg

Given it's a Lipsey's gun there's less chance of it being Rostered than a regular S&W distribution gun. Kinda irrelevant given the single action revolver exemption :-)

586L-Frame
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I've been lusting after the S&W 686 with a 6" barrel for a while after a buddy of mine let me shoot his pre-lock gun....
And I have no reason other than I don't have a revolver and it's cool as hell... :)
They don't seem as easily found as I thought they would be. ... .. .. I even see a handful of WTB ads for 686's :confused:

QUESTION:
What other S&W models are similiar - 6", stainless, .357 (lock is not a deal breaker). I see a 66 model, which is priced quite a bit higher..

Should I just hold out until a 686 shows up? Or am I missing other models which are similiar? Sorry for the lack of S&W background here...

Hi orangeusa,
The 686's are out there. You just have to keep searching.

I got lucky last month, I found and bought these two nice S&W 686-4 6"
Stainless L-Frames at a local shop from their consignment section.

After years of looking, I finally found some nice ones.
586L-Frame

DLC’s 1st S&W 686-4 6 inch L-Frame w Hogue Grips.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09768-DLCsSW686-46inchnbr-1.jpg

DLC’s 2nd S&W 686-4 6 inch L-Frame w Wood Grips.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC00005-DLCs2ndSW686-4wWoodGrips.jpg

x

23 Blast
08-01-2011, 11:22 PM
This looks a great deal like my M620. I tell you, that gun is just about perfect for me. The Model 620 is, as mentioned, an L-frame like the 686, but without the full-underlug. Instead it has a half-underlug much like the old M66. Oh, and it's a 7-shot. I recently took mine out for it's first spin (with me), and once I adjusted the sights and was shooting it off sandbags for accuracy, I was tearing one ragged hole in the target at 10 yards. I know, I know, I'm no fantastic shot, but this gun just has the perfect blend of heft, pointability, and recoil control. Just a A+ winner to me!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/BasinBictory/6e446553.jpg

For my wheelgun brothers, y'all might be interested in this special offering from Lipsey's:

It's a 686 (6 shot, not a "Plus"==7) with 4" classic tapered barrel and half-lug in "Mountain Gun" trim.

The overall appearance is that of a 4" K-frame 66 but with the beefier L frame.

While equipped with Hogue rubber grips, this gun is just crying out for repro "Cokes", or some classic Ahrends ...

[Big Bill sez this gun also needs to come out in "586" blued variant as well ;-) ]

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Smith-Wesson-686-Mountain-Gun-357-Magnum.aspx

http://www.lipseys.com/eimages/SM150862.jpg

Given it's a Lipsey's gun there's less chance of it being Rostered than a regular S&W distribution gun. Kinda irrelevant given the single action revolver exemption :-)

brassburnz
08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I bought my 6" 686 no dash the first year they came out. I think I paid a little over $325 which I thought was a lot at the time. Still one of my favorite revolvers, although I don't shoot it that much.

I'm sure you can find a pre-lock 686 if you keep searching the boards, both here and elsewhere. Like others have posted, you might also consider the 620. I wish I could find a 625 in .45 acp.

orangeusa
08-02-2011, 5:27 PM
Thanks for all the helpful responses!! I had no idea how sweet these guns were until I shot my friend's gun. I shot some .38, and it had almost no recoil, .357 a tiny bit more, but the gun just fit my hand perfectly.. :)

Thx again!

orangeusa
09-15-2011, 7:36 PM
Thanks guys, I ended up with a Wood Grip 686 -2 and couldn't be happier. I do appreciate all the knowledge in this thread. It could be the twin of the one in 586-L-Frame's picture.. I pick it up tomorrow. And bought ammo today.. :)

Thanks again!

Hi orangeusa,
The 686's are out there. You just have to keep searching.

I got lucky last month, I found and bought these two nice S&W 686-4 6"
Stainless L-Frames at a local shop from their consignment section.

After years of looking, I finally found some nice ones.
586L-Frame

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC00005-DLCs2ndSW686-4wWoodGrips.jpg

x

586L-Frame
09-15-2011, 8:32 PM
Hi Orangeusa,
Congratulations on finding your S&W 686-3 Distinguished Combat Magnum.
Take care and have fun with your new .38/.357 magnum.
586L-Frame

ojisan
09-15-2011, 8:37 PM
^ You may not post much but this thread sure got your attention!
:)

Dark Mod
09-15-2011, 8:40 PM
Ive got a 686 in 4". Best handgun purchase ive ever made

I played with longer barrels, and really found them harder to shoot. I think if you shoot it alot after a few months you will wish you got a shorter barrel

orangeusa
09-15-2011, 8:44 PM
Ive got a 686 in 4". Best handgun purchase ive ever made

I played with longer barrels, and really found them harder to shoot. I think if you shoot it alot after a few months you will wish you got a shorter barrel

But that gives me an excuse to buy another - right? :)

Toast
09-15-2011, 9:29 PM
Congrats!! I finally went to the dark side with my new (to me) 66-2, it's great :43:

spdtiger
09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=smith+and+wesson+629+performance+center&num=10&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1654&bih=900&tbm=isch&tbnid=2jPgXMq8FqPncM:&imgrefurl=http://forum.pafoa.org/g

I really want this but i don't know if this is legal here

Andy Taylor
09-16-2011, 6:53 AM
Congrats! :)

Andy Taylor
09-16-2011, 6:56 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=smith+and+wesson+629+performance+center&num=10&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1654&bih=900&tbm=isch&tbnid=2jPgXMq8FqPncM:&imgrefurl=http://forum.pafoa.org/g

I really want this but i don't know if this is legal here

It is legal here. Whether or not it is on the roster is another matter. If not on the roster just do a SA exemption on it.

Check here to see if it is on the roster

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

scarville
09-16-2011, 7:20 AM
The Model 19/66 is fine with the 148 and 158 grain 357 mag. It's the really hot, 125gn mag loads with the short bullet that can cause cracking of the forcing cone. Even then, one really has to shoot the crap out of your revolver to expect a breakage.

The forcing cone cracking was in the Model 19 not the Model 66. Nor was it restricted to 125 gr 357. Some M19's cracked with 158 gr 357 and some cracked with 38 spl. I suspect that the carbon buildup and temperatures combined with questionable metallurgy on some batches of barrels led to embrittlement and eventually cracking. The Model 66 was made from stainless steel which has a high chromium content making it much tougher and more resistant to embrittlement than plain carbon steel.

The L-frame design the 686 is built on was the S&W engineers' answer not to the cracking problem but to stretching in the K frame when using hot 357 magnums. Everything below the cylinder is the same size as a K-frame -- That is why it fits most peoples' hands so well. Above that, the frame is beefed up to better resist stretching and the cylinder was made a little larger in diameter. That and the better steel is why the 686 can be made with a seven round cylinder.

If you want a good revolver, you cannot go wrong with a 686. I have three of the seven shot models. A 6" bbl I bought for hunting and two 3" bbl models I keep for home defense. All three are used as ammunition unloaders on the weekends.

Fishslayer
09-16-2011, 7:48 AM

The M66 is a K frame. It's the stainless version of the M19, considered by many to be one of the best .357 combat revolvers ever made. But it's a bit lighter than the L frame 686. If you're going to be running mostly Big Dog magnums you might be better off with the 686. If you'll be running ".38s for practice, .357s for business" then give the M19/M66 a look. They are some pretty excellent revolvers.

If you're dead set on the 686, be patient & keep looking. I searched a year for my 4".

HPGunner
09-16-2011, 8:19 AM
If your looking for a new 686 6, 4, 3, or 2.5 inch - they have them on Bud's. The 6 inch 6 rounder is $655 and the 6 inch 7 rounder is $677.

I'm looking to get a 686P 4" or 3" but just don't have the funds right now.

orangeusa
09-16-2011, 1:42 PM
Just shot it today, 38spl 50 rounds, and 12 rounds of .357mag. Dead on accurate. No kidding. At 7 yards and at 15 yards.

After shooting it, I see the allure of wheelguns - you can be very accurate with them!! :) I'm not bad with my semi-autos, but not like this. Could be a combination of the great sights and the great trigger too.. :)
And it's still SA only, (for now).

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/orangeusa/my_686.jpg

spdtiger
09-16-2011, 2:42 PM
wow thanks Andy but looking at it being ca roster legal it looks like I only have a month before she gets erased from the list

586L-Frame
09-16-2011, 3:01 PM
^ You may not post much but this thread sure got your attention!
:)

Hi otisan,
I enjoyed posting in this thread because I could relate with Orangeusa's
excitement, finding a 686.

I bought three 686's the past few months that I searched for years after giving my nephew my only 686 no dash 4 inch a few years ago as a gift, which to my disappointment he sold it to buy a sig blackwater 226 9mm.

586L-Frame

DLC’s S&W 686(No dash) 4 inch & S&W 686-4 6” w rubber grips.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/dlchan/DSC09795-DLCsSW686s.jpg

x

586L-Frame
09-16-2011, 3:05 PM
Just shot it today, 38spl 50 rounds, and 12 rounds of .357mag. Dead on accurate. No kidding. At 7 yards and at 15 yards.

After shooting it, I see the allure of wheelguns - you can be very accurate with them!! :) I'm not bad with my semi-autos, but not like this. Could be a combination of the great sights and the great trigger too.. :)
And it's still SA only, (for now).

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/orangeusa/my_686.jpg

Hi Orangeusa,
You have a beautiful 686.
Take care, 586L-Frame

Revoman
09-16-2011, 6:27 PM
orangeusa -

Very nice revolver you found there! Enjoy her and keep her happy by shooting more.

Great revolver!

esartori
09-16-2011, 6:52 PM
Great gun! All these 686 pics make me jealous. I want one pretty bad

orangeusa
09-16-2011, 9:29 PM
38spl first rounds with the gun at 7 yards. And I'm not a great shot. So for you semi-auto guys on the fence, there is plenty of fun at the wheelgun table! :)

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/orangeusa/100_1209.jpg

Fishslayer
09-17-2011, 8:40 AM
38spl first rounds with the gun at 7 yards. And I'm not a great shot. So for you semi-auto guys on the fence, there is plenty of fun at the wheelgun table! :)

Now you know why some of us just can't jump on the plastic, striker fired tacticool bandwagon. ;)

22popnsplat
09-17-2011, 4:18 PM
I have shot quite a few 686s over the years and just shot a freinds a couple of weeks ago , It shot extremely well . I had 7 357 mags and thinned it down to 2 . below is a crappy picture of my 66-1 , its a great shooter and a keeper

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/Smokin54/SANY0210.jpg

orangeusa
09-17-2011, 6:53 PM
Now you know why some of us just can't jump on the plastic, striker fired tacticool bandwagon. ;)

Yeah - it's like buying a car X and you've never noticed them on the road, and all of a sudden you realize car X is owned by a lot of folks.

I have my semi-autos, but can't TOUCH what I shot with this beast. And it was FUN! If you notice in the picture, I have snap caps (first time I realized I NEEDED them - semi-autos are almost immune to dry firing). But I realized you really need to SWING the front sight to the target with a strong intent.

I can't believe I've gone this long thinking that revolvers were for Barney Fife. :)

I have shot quite a few 686s over the years and just shot a freinds a couple of weeks ago , It shot extremely well . I had 7 357 mags and thinned it down to 2 . below is a crappy picture of my 66-1 , its a great shooter and a keeper

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/Smokin54/SANY0210.jpg

That is one sweet looking gun. I wouldn't trade, but yes, it is sweet.