PDA

View Full Version : Public Land that can be used for Target Practice near Stockton? (San Joaq. County)

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 7:59 AM
Ok here's the deal: I am a Colorado native and moved here during highschool with my father (What was I thinking!!!!????) So not only can I not buy any of the guns that I would like to have (Legally), but the nearest range to my house now in Stockton is in Linden, Ca. (15 minute drive isn't too bad). But instead of paying the $12.00 each time to go I would rather be investing that into another gun/ammo/etc...

Here's the kicker: In Colo. I was use to going on Public Land (Clearly Marked) and setting up my targets, shooting however long I wanted to; and then pick up the targets and leave.

Per the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) (California) website:
Target Shooting is allowed on public lands. However, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public's enjoyment.

But when I contact the local Sheriff to locate some local accessable land to use for "Target-Practice" (as BLM-Ca suggests) they tell me that they cannot inform me. (What the heck!!) Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that their jurisdiction???? "Public and Private land OUTSIDE of the City-Limits"

If you know of any please let me know! :mad:

socalsteve
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Check with the local BLM office near where you want to shoot. They can and will answer you.

Also, if you search on this site there are soem links you can find and follow.

wilit
01-11-2007, 5:48 PM
When I lived in Tracy, we used to go down to the aquaducts around Westly/Patterson. We've run into Fish & Game officials all the time, and never got any hassels. I haven't done that in a while though, so I don't know if it's still cool.

FrankG
01-11-2007, 8:28 PM
years ago i used to go out on levy roads and also shoot....it was when i was young so i dont remember the exact spot....

hoffmang
01-11-2007, 8:41 PM
If you were to use a levy road, please, please, please know your backstop. It might be me in the boat out there..

-Gene

rla_2000
01-12-2007, 8:57 AM
I will consider the LEVY roads, but I was hoping to find a place closer to Stockton than Tracy.

socalsteve- I checked with the BLM office and they said they can sell me a map for $4.00. But they referred me to the Sheriff's office to confirm if they would have an isse for certain areas.

hoffmang- I use the laser rule when I shoot! ;) I always assume that whatever I am shooting at will be destryoyed, and that also includes whatever is behind what I am shooting! I normally like shooting into hills and other such mounds of dirt-I don't care if a few worms get hurt!

JGarrison
01-12-2007, 9:25 AM
Let me know if you find anything, I'm in Manteca and would love to find a place like this to shoot.

NextTimeAround
01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I wish there was something like this in the Bay Area.

rla_2000
01-12-2007, 11:45 PM
JGarrison- I will let you know if I find anywhere nearby! Maybe one of the members on this forum might own some land and be willing to have some responsible shooters over? (Never Know) My wife has some family in Merced where they let us shoot on thier property, but during the summer months the fox-tails and thorns get out of control.

Powersauce
01-13-2007, 12:49 AM
I wish there was something like this in the Bay Area.
I hear ya...I spent my holidays in Arizona. Rapid fire...detachable mags...

FrankG
01-13-2007, 1:29 AM
of coarse i knew what my backstop was...it wasnt towards the water...it was at a dirt hill...but it was a very long time ago....ive been shooting guns since i was 10...good ole 22lr

NextTimeAround
01-13-2007, 4:52 AM
I hear ya...I spent my holidays in Arizona. Rapid fire...detachable mags...

I'm jealous.

rla_2000
02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
So am I!!!

Bbut I am still looking for some land!!

It's getting OLD paying $12.00 (3-4 times a month) to use either a private range or public!!!

brighamr
03-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I live in Modesto. The nearest public lands available are above Sonora (1.5 hours away). There's a couple ranges nearby, but no public places to shoot for free, at least AFAIK. Bad news, but I've tried the sherriff, BLM, DF&G, etc, etc and the closest known place is in the hills.