View Full Version : Non-resident vacation with handgun

08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I'll be traveling to California shortly to spend some time with my brother, probably a month or two. I'm not a California resident. While out there we'd like to spend some time at a couple gun ranges near him.

My understanding is that as a non-resident visiting California temporarily I can fly in with a handgun, without needing registration, regardless of roster status, provided that I have a maximum 10-round magazine.

Does this sound correct? Thanks everyone!

08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes and make sure it's not a handgun AW (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf)

08-01-2011, 1:04 PM
Transporting the handgun while in CA is most sensibly done unloaded in a completely enclosing locked case - since TSA/airlines also require that, you should have one available to you.

While here, those mags, loaded or unloaded, may be in that same case if you like.

08-01-2011, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the responses!

I don't have any with stocks, forward grips or threaded barrels so that should stay away from the AW pistol area. I looked over the flowchart and should be good.

Yep, I'd be flying with a hard locking case with non-TSA locks and the usual. Most likely I would not be flying with any ammo and most likely not any magazines--I will probably buy them locally in CA or online. The length of the stay means it won't be too big of a deal if I lose a week ordering some.

08-01-2011, 5:58 PM
No .45LC/.410 handguns.
CA laws considers them to be Short Barrel Shotguns.

08-01-2011, 8:44 PM
No .45LC/.410 handguns.
CA laws considers them to be Short Barrel Shotguns.

Good point, I wasn't aware of that one. I've spent enough time around CA to know how screwy the gun laws are (a real shock to a Texan) but I seem to find out some new screwy fact every time!