PDA

View Full Version : Trigger safety?

semperfidelis354
08-01-2011, 9:09 AM
Never saw one until I was looking at the Springfield xd 45acp. I thought it wa inventive but didn't get it's ultimate purpose? I mean your going to pull the trigger and the safety disengages, so why have it instead of a regular safety?

iareConfusE
08-01-2011, 9:46 AM
I think they were made to make the guns "drop safe" so that if you dropped the pistol it wouldn't go off. There are a lot of redundant safeties on modern pistols now, which include the trigger bar safety. Basically the gun won't fire unless your finger (or some other object) is in the trigger guard and pushing in the trigger block to allow the entire trigger to be depressed.

Wildeman_13
08-01-2011, 9:50 AM
It makes it that much harder for clothing or your holster or whatever to hang up on the trigger edges and cause the gun to go off. Something has to get completely into the trigger guard to depress the trigger safety (like your finger) before it can go off.

Sig Marine
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm also of the opinion that it makes for a gun that handles stress situations better for many people who have guns for personal protection and home defense. Having a manual thumb safety is one more thing to deal with and could mean the difference if one forgets to dis-engage. This is not to say that guns with thumb safeties are inferior, but they take training/practice to reinforce the muscle memory/motor skills to make engaging and dis-engaging the thumb safety automatic.

ken worth
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
The XD has a grip saftey in addition to the trigger saftey , if something snags the trigger it still won't fire unless the grip saftey is depressed at the same time. the main saftey is between the ears of the operator.

RoundEye
08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
They're fairly common on striker fire DA only pistols.

Glock, & Springfield are only two of the companies that use the trigger safety method.

RPIpower
08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Best Safety = Keep your finger OFF the trigger until ready to shoot.

iareConfusE
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Glock, & Springfield are only two of the companies that use the trigger safety method.

Don't forget Ruger SR9, S&W M&P, and think even Taurus has their own iteration of a trigger block safety.

semperfidelis354
08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Hmmm the dropping and snagging make sense. Hadn't thought of that. I like the idea of it. I'm looking into getting that xd in the hopefully near future. Great feeling gun in my opinion

PRCABR4Christ
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
the main saftey is between the ears of the operator.

the problem is...some people lack the required equipment :eek:

Wildeman_13
08-01-2011, 1:27 PM
the problem is...some people lack the required equipment :eek:

And it is not easily purchased or installed either. :D

RollingCode3
08-01-2011, 2:00 PM

there are at least a dozen or more handgun models with trigger safety out there.

Don't forget Ruger SR9, S&W M&P, and think even Taurus has their own iteration of a trigger block safety.

+1.... and the walther too :D

PRCABR4Christ
08-01-2011, 2:04 PM
And it is not easily purchased or installed either. :D

the good thing is though, they're usually readily identifiable :rofl:

tacticalcity
08-01-2011, 2:07 PM
This one looks asked and answered to me.