PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe they landed!!!

anotherone
01-10-2007, 5:21 PM
Today I decided to pack light so I could ride my bike out and get my pick of the spots where I wanted to hunt at Yolo refuge. I took 30 inflatable decoys called "Deeks" that I purchased on sale for $19.99/dozen. The paint is so basic (only 3 colors!!) and the texturing is a joke! I was thinking, "man I'll be lucky if I kill one duck with decoys this cheesy"! I mean seriously, the looked like cel shaded cartoon characters floating on the pond!

I wasn't surprised at all when a Ruddy duck landed in there right at the beginning of shoot time. The sun wasn't quite up yet. He was a humorous fellow... he swam around the whole spread exploring it and even stopped to look at my rotoduck. The minute shoot time hit I sluiced him. Another 5 minutes later and I dropped a ruddy who flew in to check it out. Then the sun came up and it was bright and clear skies... I never expected what happened next.

Two more Ruddy ducks swam from all the way across the pond right into my spread and started feeding! Are ducks really that stupid? The deeks were completely rubber and totally fake! Next two shovelers landed and later even a greenwing teal landed in there. They actually landed in the inflatables more than they did in the plastic decoys!!! WTF?

Needless to say I limited. I'm just amazed you can go out with decoys this cheesy and still limit! Why did I ever spend so much time building up a good plastic set and expend so much effort hauling it out. These inflatables are definitely the way to go on public land!

dw1784
01-10-2007, 6:05 PM
congrats!!
our ducks come whenever we throw bread crumbs in the water. Too bad we can't shoot them within city limits:D

anotherone
01-10-2007, 7:26 PM
congrats!!
our ducks come whenever we throw bread crumbs in the water. Too bad we can't shoot them within city limits:D

HAHAHA yeah I know there's a lot of city ponds around here where the Mallards are ridiculously big and fat! People around the city think hunters just walk out into the ponds and the ducks just swim up like lemmings. When the ducks on the refuge see that 12 guage they know they're not getting breadcrumbs :D!

socalsteve
01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
My grandfather used to have some old duck decoys that were rubber - you threw them in the air over the water and as they fell the air rushing up inflated them - they had a metal ring on the bottom that acted as a weight and it was round - the hole in it was where the air went in.

His were so old they were just black and they still worked - I don't think ducks are too smart they are herd animals if they see something that looks like a bird on the water they figure if its safe for that bird its safe for me too.

SemiAutoSam
01-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Shoot them with a tazer after they come for the bread scraps.

congrats!!

Scarecrow Repair
01-11-2007, 1:07 PM
Shoot them with a tazer after they come for the bread scraps.
BBQ'd and ready to go. Eat 'em before the warden comes around and he won't know how many you've really caught.