PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a Spanish Mauser, but it needs help....

mosinnagantm9130
07-31-2011, 1:16 PM
I bought a 7x57 m1916 Spanish mauser today, the only problem is it needs a few parts. I need a buttplate, the screws for the plate, the handguard, the cleaning rod, and the rear barrel band. Will parts from the spanish 93 series from here: http://ssporters.com/parts/93%2095%20Mauser.htm work?

I'll try to get some pics up soon. It needs some TLC, but I couldn't say no at the price!

cmichini
07-31-2011, 1:26 PM
Check gun parts corp (formerly Numrich Arms) in NY. They have everything, or close thereto.

big103
07-31-2011, 1:37 PM
Century arms has a lot of Mauser parts at good prices.

mosinnagantm9130
07-31-2011, 5:00 PM
Also, there are some rust spots on the barrel and the bolt. What's the best way to clean it up? I don't want to damage the finish on the barrel...

Mike A
07-31-2011, 8:37 PM
The Spanish 1916 IS a Spanish '93, as far as I know, just the more modern short rifle variation instead of a full length infantry rifle, or a cavalry carbine.

I use bronze wool and penetrating oil to remove rust/corrosion from blued surfaces. You can get it at any big hardware store, near the paint area. Get the finest grade they have, apply penetrating oil to the part to be cleaned (I use Kroil) and rub gently. Then dry it off with a paper towel and have a look. Keep going until the rust and crap is gone but before you see any bright metal. Use much oil and little "elbow grease".

The advantage of bronze wool over steel wool is that it is softer than bluing but harder than all but the very worst rust and dried grease and oil. So if you go slow, you can remove the corrosion and dirt and leave the bluing/browning/whatever finish. Steel wool may cut through the finish to the bare metal.

gunboat
07-31-2011, 9:34 PM
The advantage of the 1916 over the older models is the gas relief hole --