View Full Version : 1945 remington rand 1911a1 jaming....

07-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Mmmmkay so, as the title says my 1911a1 is failing to get a round seated into the chamber, ive tried a couple different magazines thinking it may be the springs but no success (all old used mags though) the slide spring feels very strong and ive over lubricated before to see if it was just binding somewhere. the bullet gets stuck at an upward slant just before making it into the chamber and closing the slide. if you push the slide forward it will close the slide and chamber the round fully, and sometimes works for a whole clip while firing (but very rarely functions properly) jamming in the same way everytime.

the only thing i can think of at the moment is maybe it needs some new springs all round (slide and magazines)??? this gun hasnt been shot much and still uses the factory parts. any info will help a lot. will be taking pics and posting them here in a few minutes. THANKS CGn'ers

CC Gunsmithing
07-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Could be you need new follower springs in the magazines, more than likely a new recoil spring... Have you stripped and cleaned everything? the 1911 doesn't generally need tons of oil, a light coat over the moving parts will do just fine... Where are you located?

07-31-2011, 10:22 AM
yes done a strip/clean/oil plenty of times trying to clear this gun up, im in fallbrook ca.

i think i have a newer recoil spring i could clean up and give a try, but your right about the follower springs, most of these magazines used to be kept half loaded for years on end for home defense. Let me get some pics up to show the jam.

07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Theres are a number of variables, but I'll assume you are shooting 230 gr FMJ factory loads.

If so, the first thing I'd check in your situation would be extractor tension. Too much tension will cause feeding issues. With the slide removed insert a cartridge against the breach face under the extractor and shake. It should hold for gentle shaking but release with more vigorous shaking.

If your extractor indicates too much tension, remove the firing pin stop and inspect the extractor and it's channel for any debris that may be impeding proper function, if you find none then bend the extractor to take some tension out of it.

More extractor tuning here: http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

If this doesn't help I'd replace the recoil spring to ensure it is the proper weight. Btw, be aware that the heat treating on your 1945 pistol isn't up to todays standards and you do stand the risk of cracking the slide with extensive shooting which would be a concern if the pistol is original and correct with substantial collector value.

07-31-2011, 11:15 AM
If this doesn't help I'd replace the recoil spring to ensure it is the proper weight. Btw, be aware that the heat treating on your 1945 pistol isn't up to today's standards and you do stand the risk of cracking the slide with extensive shooting which would be a concern if the pistol is original and correct with substantial collector value.

well from the research and talking to the gunsmith that park'd this 1911, the 1945's and later made by rem-rand are pretty much the only ones that wont crack under normal loads because they were the ones that started hardening the front's of the 1911 slides, the early models didn't have the same treatment and did crack. this is a late serial number made in 1945, i have no fears of this firearm cracking and will continue to shoot this fine pistol forever. thank you for the concern though!!! :D

Oh this pistol has been in my family since it was issued by the army to my grandfather (army isnt going to issue a gun from 1945 that might break)

thanks again for the tips, im not extremely familiar with the 1911 so i wont tweak the extractor yet but will consider this if the follower springs and recoil spring replacement doesn't do the trick

now that i look at the pic the guns all smudged from my grubby paws sorry :(

07-31-2011, 1:08 PM
Try removing the extractor and see if the feeding problem goes away....at least that will sorta tell you you're looking in the right direction as far as the extractor having something to do with it. Adjusting its tension is not difficult....you literally bend it just a little to control how much it grips against the side of the case.......you want just a few pounds of pressure against the rim of the case. The case rim should be able to slide into the extractor smoothly with a few pounds of pressure and be held there.

07-31-2011, 1:10 PM
Well, it's somewhat of a moot point since your pistol is both modified and refinished, but you might find this interesting despite your gunsmith's expertise: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=278153

In regard to the extractor tuning, np, do what you wish. It's just many people suffer 1911's that are "magazine sensitive" when they can sometimes to be made to run with most magazines via proper extractor tuning.

I'd at least remove the slide and check the tension even if you aren't up to bending the extractor to eliminate one possible issue if it checks out in-spec.

07-31-2011, 1:19 PM
^ What he said.
The jam is not because the front of the cartridge is not going into the barrel, it is because the rear of the cartridge is not going up fully into the breechface.

Pulling the extractor out as mentioned by Sheldon is a good simple test.

08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
will try removing the extractor when im not so :sleeping:

thanks again for all the info will update when i can:chris:

also found my spare spring, its a bit longer than the one that was in it but without firing the gun i cant tell a difference.

08-03-2011, 10:26 PM
A couple things to check...

1. Extractor tension, with the slide OFF slide an unfired round underneath the extractor, and wiggle it the slide, the round should not fall out, if it does you need more extractor tension

2. Recoil spring, the length doesn't matter, different manufacturers have different lengths, the force which the spring applies matters, you can cycle the gun by hand to check if it's feeding properly

3. New magazine springs may be in order, the old mag springs may not be strong enough to push the next round all the way up to ensure it's being fully supported by the extractor (which is how it appears to me), this didn't happen because you left them half loaded, this happened because springs wear out...springs don't wear out because they're loaded, half loaded, or unloaded, they wear out because they've transitioned from being loaded and unloaded so many times.

As an aside...
1. Your pistol has been refinished, this you probably know, and it is not original as far as I can tell as it has aftermarket sights, it may have something else unoriginal on the inside

2. When you get the jam, slam the back of the slide with your hand, you may have to do it for a hundred round or so, but it won't hurt it, I promise, but it should start feeding better unless it's a mag problem

3. No particular 1911's had problems with "cracks", I would be more worried about the barrel feet cracking from an unrelieved VIS than the frame, slide, or anything else cracking

4. You don't need to fire the gun to tell the difference, you can do it all from racking the slide FULLY, firing it will just confirm what running the slide already proves

5. Start with the easiest fixes and work up to the more intensive ones, you already have a recoil spring (which usually isn't the case), go ahead and try that, then go to the extractor, then mag springs, IMO it's probably the mag springs, you can stretch out the mag springs a bit to check for sure, but either way, your extractor needs to be correctly tensioned to be operable, otherwise it's a single shot you'll have to smack every round