PDA

View Full Version : question on inheritance rifles.

Sal
01-10-2007, 2:19 PM
ok, my grandfather was a police officer and died alittle over a year ago. he has some interesting guns that he left to my mom, and she is thinking about giving me the rifles he had.

needless to say there is a Fal L1a1 sporter with no flash hider, however it is in AW format, its in parts now to take care of that for now. what are the options for this gun, im not really sure of its history, he never really told me about what guns he had and i never got to see them, with the exception of his pistols which we would go shoot together. i dont know if the rifle is registered, and will it be legal to remove the grip, and use the 20rnd mags it has? its an imbel FAL L1a1 sporter, so its not listed.

also, should i go DROS The thing, or is there any paperwork i should fill out letting the DOJ know its changed owner and been reconfigured to legal format? also, i thought i remember reading somewhere if you can get a LE signoff you can register it as an AW? his good friends are still LE here, and pretty high up, they would probably sign off, so is that true that you could register it with the LE sign off?

thanks!

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I am wanting to know as well, as once my grandfather passes I inherit all of his as well. If anyione has IM-ed or emailed you let me know!

mike100
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
the only thing an LE will do is take your **** away. Long guns don't get regged from inheritance and you can take interfamiliar transfers from your parents or grandparents without any FFl background check.

take them and make the FAL rifle legal, turn it in, or take it out of state to sell.

you can't inherit hi-caps...IMO don't ask don't tell

The SoCal Gunner
01-11-2007, 12:42 PM
You can't take possession of the rifle if it is an AW whether it is registered or not. You can't inherit an AW. Since it is in parts right now you can build it back up to be CA legal. Either a fixed 10 rnd magazine or no pistol grip, tele stock, flash hider, etc. You can't possess any magazines with a capacity of more than 10 unless you possessed them before the ban in 2000 so if he gave YOU, not your mother, the magazines before 2000 then you are good to go with that.

Sal
01-11-2007, 2:17 PM
alright thanks!