PDA

View Full Version : Glock troubleshooting

Jon2
07-31-2011, 7:34 AM
I have a Glock 21 that exhibits an interesting malfunction. The symptom is a "click" when the trigger is pulled - after ejecting the round, I notice a small indentation on the primer where it was clearly hit by the firing pin, but I guess not hard enough to make it fire. I would blame the ammo, but it's happened across multiple brands.

What's interesting is it never happens when I'm firing the gun - only when someone else is doing it. Yesterday I did manage to cause the malfunction by moving my trigger finger into different positions - using the very tip of my finger for example - but I can't reliably reproduce the problem. So my suspicion is that it's probably the safety causing the problem, but what to do about it? Has anyone seen a similar problem?

On a related note, if it turns out I need to take it to someone to repair, does anyone have recommendations on a shop in the general South Bay area?

XDRoX
07-31-2011, 7:37 AM
My guess is you got some oil in there around the firing pin. Try cleaning it out and see if that works.

Fishslayer
07-31-2011, 7:40 AM
That's unpossible. Glocks are perfection...;)

taguin
07-31-2011, 7:42 AM
^ try this first. If that doesn't work there is a Glock armorer at San Jose Gun Exchange. Hope this helps.

PRonyan
07-31-2011, 7:53 AM
Sounds like the firing pin hole may be gunked up with oil. You have to make sure you don't get oil inside the little hole that goes into the firing pin chamber. You should take apart the slide, remove the firing pin and spring and clean and dry everything. It has to be absolutely dry in there. There are a lot of little parts so don't do it yourself if you are not sure of the process.

^ try this first. If that doesn't work there is a Glock armorer at San Jose Gun Exchange. Hope this helps.

PRonyan
07-31-2011, 8:13 AM
BTW For all the purists, it should be called a striker instead of a firing pin. I always call it a firing pin.

Sounds like the firing pin hole may be gunked up with oil. You have to make sure you don't get oil inside the little hole that goes into the firing pin chamber. You should take apart the slide, remove the firing pin and spring and clean and dry everything. It has to be absolutely dry in there. There are a lot of little parts so don't do it yourself if you are not sure of the process.

PRonyan
07-31-2011, 8:26 AM
One way to test the striker is to remove the slide and push in the small firing pin safety button so that the striker is moving freely. The firing pin should protrude out of the hole if you tilt the slide forward. You should hear the striker moving back and forth freely when you shake the slide.

BTW For all the purists, it should be called a striker instead of a firing pin. I always call it a firing pin.

Fatstackz
07-31-2011, 8:47 AM
Are these reloads or factory loads?

Could be a batch of high primers if handloads. Most likley though, the above post are correct. When doing cleaning its important to keep the muzzle pointed down as to not allow any cleaners/oils to penetrate the stryker channel. Its an easy fix though.

RoundEye
07-31-2011, 8:53 AM
One of the steps of a basic GLOCK function test includes verifying that the firing pin moves freely inside the firing pin channel.

Steps to verify:

1.) Unload and Clear (physically verify that there is no round in the chamber and remove the magazine)
2.) With the slide forward pull the trigger all the way to the rear and hold it there.
3.) With the trigger depressed, place the side of the pistol near your ear and shake it forward and backward. With each shake you should be able to hear the firing pin moving freely back and forth in the firing pin channel. (It should sound like a rattle)

If you don't experience the intended result, you have isolated an issue with the firing pin assembly, and it should be taken to a GLOCK Armorer for further diagnosis and repair. This is just one idea off the top of my head, but there could just as easily be an issue with the trigger and trigger bar, which cannot be verified without visually inspecting the pistol.

Oceanbob
07-31-2011, 8:55 AM
Clean that weapon. YouTube has plenty of take-apart Glock cleaning take down videos. Not hard.

No oil on the striker. None.

sammy
07-31-2011, 8:55 AM
Is the firing pin mark off center when this happens? My guess is it is slightly out of battery.

Jon2
07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
You guys are awesome. As soon as the kids take their naps, I'll take a look and see if it's something this simple.

Someone asked if the mark on the primer was off-center. The answer is yes, it is. Someone else asked if these were factory loads - yes. I've had it happen with PMC and Remington both.

Thinking the Glock Armorer course they offer at Front Sight would be an excellent investment for me. :)

G-forceJunkie
07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Glock calls it a firing pin, thats what they call it in armors school and what they print in their manuals. With that said, I'm going to guess its one of the following:

Gunked up firing pin channel. If you remove the slide and shake it, does the firing pin rattle? It shold. Gunk is either slowing it down, or there is enough crud impacted in front of the pin to reduce its protrusion.

Tip of firing pin worn or broken, again, reducing the protrusion.

The firing pin and firing pin saftey damaged. These parts can wear wear, forma burr, and impede action. Also, if the tip of the trigger bar that depresses the firing pin saftey is worn, it may not be disengaging it all the way and slowing down the firing pin causing the light hits.BTW For all the purists, it should be called a striker instead of a firing pin. I always call it a firing pin.

RoundEye
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
If you remove the slide and shake it, does the firing pin rattle? It should.

If the slide is removed, you'll need to depress the firing pin safety with you thumb prior to shaking for the pin to move freely. With the safety engaged, you will not be able to hear anything when shaking the slide alone.

Dhena81
07-31-2011, 3:04 PM
Replace all 33 parts its not very hard to do :D

Take the back cover off the slide and clean it out go on YouTube and search for Glock detail strip its so easy to do.

RollingCode3
07-31-2011, 5:31 PM
Detail strip the slide and wipe everything down.

sammy
07-31-2011, 7:08 PM
Since the firing pin mark is offcenter the only thing it could be is the gun was slightly out of battery. Glocks need a firm grip when firing and new shooters tend to hold them like delicate china. Nothing wrong with your gun. Go ahead and look but I am sure the firing pin channed is clear and clean. Make sure when you reassemble it that you apply no oil. These parts must stay dry. Sammy

PRCABR4Christ
07-31-2011, 7:41 PM
to check the firing pin, insert a bic pen in the barrel (unloaded please), make sure the pen is touching the breechface, now pull the trigger, the pen should travel from 2-5ft, if not, something is up with your firing pin whether it's gunked or broken

PRCABR4Christ
07-31-2011, 7:43 PM
Glocks need a firm grip when firing and new shooters tend to hold them like delicate china.

Actually, I've never seen limp wristing a problem with glocks, they should run no matter what...

locosway
07-31-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a Glock 21 that exhibits an interesting malfunction. The symptom is a "click" when the trigger is pulled - after ejecting the round, I notice a small indentation on the primer where it was clearly hit by the firing pin, but I guess not hard enough to make it fire. I would blame the ammo, but it's happened across multiple brands.

What's interesting is it never happens when I'm firing the gun - only when someone else is doing it. Yesterday I did manage to cause the malfunction by moving my trigger finger into different positions - using the very tip of my finger for example - but I can't reliably reproduce the problem. So my suspicion is that it's probably the safety causing the problem, but what to do about it? Has anyone seen a similar problem?

On a related note, if it turns out I need to take it to someone to repair, does anyone have recommendations on a shop in the general South Bay area?

It's likely one of two things. Either the firing pin channel is dirty, which is causing the firing pin not fire with full force, or the front recoil spring is worn and is not allowing the gun to go into full battery.

If you have less than 3k-4k rounds through the firearm then it's likely the firing pin channel.

sammy
08-01-2011, 2:26 PM
Actually, I've never seen limp wristing a problem with glocks, they should run no matter what...

Well that would be my guess. I have had some of these type of failures with a G20 and G19 and I know I was not limp wristing. It could be a break in thing because it only seems to happen on new Glocks.

Either way the gun was slightly out of battery. Pulling the trigger I notice the slide move slightly without firing the round. Looking at the unfired primer the firing pin mark is always on the top of the primer.

Here is a pict of the offending round in a new G19

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x183/carcrazysammy/002-4.jpg

G60
08-01-2011, 2:52 PM

Limp wristing is the typical fanboy apologist answer any time a glock malfunctions.

PRCABR4Christ
08-01-2011, 2:52 PM
Well that would be my guess. I have had some of these type of failures with a G20 and G19 and I know I was not limp wristing. It could be a break in thing because it only seems to happen on new Glocks.

Either way the gun was slightly out of battery. Pulling the trigger I notice the slide move slightly without firing the round. Looking at the unfired primer the firing pin mark is always on the top of the primer.

Here is a pict of the offending round in a new G19

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x183/carcrazysammy/002-4.jpg

it kinda looks like the firing pin is dragging rather than cleanly hitting the primer, that doesn't look like primer flow...maybe the firing pin has been "peened" or it's bent/broken, have you shot a bunch of +P in that gun?

sammy
08-01-2011, 4:14 PM
it kinda looks like the firing pin is dragging rather than cleanly hitting the primer, that doesn't look like primer flow...maybe the firing pin has been "peened" or it's bent/broken, have you shot a bunch of +P in that gun?

That is a gun with less than 50 rounds through it. It is light because it was out of battery. Thank god it did not fire. Probably would have been OK because this was cheap bulk factory ammo. I called Glock and they blamed the problem on under powered ammo.

After the next 100 or so rounds it gave me no trouble.

AeroEngi
08-01-2011, 4:18 PM
Limp wristing is the typical fanboy apologist answer any time a glock malfunctions.

:iagree:

gorenut
08-01-2011, 4:25 PM

Haha, pretty much. When my G34 had extraction problems.. people on GlockTalk kept insisting it was due to limp wristing.. which I was 100% certain was not the case. Despite what I said.. they would just keep saying limp-wristing. I diagnosed the problems, did some research and bought a new extractor. Now it runs flawlessly even if I try to limp-wrist.

GoingQuiet
08-01-2011, 4:56 PM

Light strike of striker.

Clean the striker channel and possibly replace the spring.

Should take a competent armorer about 5 minutes.

I'll have to check for what the book says about off center primer strike but that could be a minor out of battery strike.

JosephP
08-01-2011, 7:30 PM
Hit is not deep enough...
You need to replace firing pin and spring as well.
and detail strip the pistol and reassemble it.
And put regular Big ballpoint pen which has removable cap at the end all the way into barrel and fire it.
If the pen pops out... you are good.
:)

Oh.. Don't forget the safety check before you do anything.

JTROKS
08-01-2011, 7:51 PM
Maybe dirt got in there causing it to malfunction.

locosway
08-02-2011, 8:58 AM
Hit is not deep enough...
You need to replace firing pin and spring as well.
and detail strip the pistol and reassemble it.
And put regular Big ballpoint pen which has removable cap at the end all the way into barrel and fire it.
If the pen pops out... you are good.
:)

Oh.. Don't forget the safety check before you do anything.

On a new gun? I don't think so...

1911su16b870
08-02-2011, 10:32 AM
If there is ever a doubt, take it to a Glock Armorer for a full takedown, cleaning, inspection and reassembly/lube. Then ask the armorer to show you proper preventative maintenance.

I can not tell you the number of times someone has oiled the debris hole on the slide of their Glock...arrrgghhhh :eek: