PDA

View Full Version : Firearms and camping

natomasboy
07-30-2011, 5:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if I'm allowed to bring a firearm to a camp site. I typically don't bring any of my firearms but this one place in South Lake Tahoe has been known to have black bears.

I checked with the local ranger and they said you can bring a firearm but not allowed to discharge. What does that mean?!!

FYI: I'm brining a .40SW with 180gr JHP.

natomasboy
07-30-2011, 5:14 PM
Never mind.. it looks like I have to read through some stuff...

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Riodog
07-30-2011, 5:25 PM
40 S&W ?? The first rule is "DO NOT PISS OFF THE BEARS". You figure it out.
Rio

CC Gunsmithing
07-30-2011, 6:16 PM
:iagree: .44 magnum, at least... I'd love one of the Taurus Judges... .410 for the things that slither, .45 long colt for the things that will EAT YOU!

Dhena81
07-30-2011, 6:20 PM
Bring a 12 guage, M1 Garand, M1A scout, 44 magnum, or a Glock 20.

BayAreaShooter
07-30-2011, 8:17 PM
Never mind.. it looks like I have to read through some stuff...

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Glad you found the information.

Rio

:iagree: .44 magnum, at least... I'd love one of the Taurus Judges... .410 for the things that slither, .45 long colt for the things that will EAT YOU!

Bringing a .40 is better than nothing so I say good for the OP.

JeremyS
07-30-2011, 8:34 PM
At least swap the hollow points for something that would [be more likely to] hurt a bear -- you know, a hot loaded, heavy, solid bullet like:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=153

BayAreaShooter
07-30-2011, 9:08 PM
At least swap the hollow points for something that would [be more likely to] hurt a bear -- you know, a hot loaded, heavy, solid bullet like:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=153

Agreed. You would not want to use JHP. You want as much penetration as possible.

natomasboy
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I'll bring 200gr FP.. didn't think about the issue of penetration. My head is still spinning from reading that long thread on camping and firearms. It seems that I can bring a firearm but not allowed to discharge. I can bring an unloaded firearm to the campsite but not have a loaded firearm 150yards within a camp site.

proclone1
07-31-2011, 10:06 AM
I'll bring 200gr FP.. didn't think about the issue of penetration. My head is still spinning from reading that long thread on camping and firearms. It seems that I can bring a firearm but not allowed to discharge. I can bring an unloaded firearm to the campsite but not have a loaded firearm 150yards within a camp site.

12 gauge loaded with... Rock Salt! (and pepper for flavor) because you better eat what you kill.

CK_32
07-31-2011, 10:14 AM

Wacky as* laws...

Quiet
07-31-2011, 10:50 AM

The firearm discharge prohibition is to prevent people from shooting while in the camp and self-defense use is exempt from it.

As long as the camp grounds says it's legal to have a firearm at the site, state law [PC 12031(l)] says it's legal to have a loaded firearm at your campsite (in your tent/cabin, can't walk around with it).

Penal Code 12031
(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

Sunday
07-31-2011, 6:49 PM
They do not want you target shooting . Use it just for self defense use. Bear spray works better than a gun for up close cause it takes time for a bear to die and the bear can eat you before it reaches bear heaven...

tennisman
07-31-2011, 8:24 PM
dont ask dont tell , no one will know your packing but you

2nd Shot
07-31-2011, 9:49 PM
Just got back from camping. I kept the 870 loaded with buck, with 1oz slugs in the side saddle. If bears are all you're worried about, you might want to skip straight to the slugs. I also kept my G29 loaded with 180gn XTP's on hand as well. They penetrate quite deep compared to defensive type JHPs. Would have loaded it with 200's if I had any.

Rock_Islander
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
What the guy above me stated... If you're worried about BEARS, then you need SLUGS! Plain and simple. If I were camping and firearms were permitted, I'd have my slung-hung Mossbert 500 topped off with slugs. 3-inch magnums would be great, but 2 and 3/4 shell slugs will do just fine. On my hip would be my 1911, and for added effect I'd probably bring out one of my AR's for whatever role(s) the first two guns I mentioned didn't fill.

generalpetres
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if I'm allowed to bring a firearm to a camp site. I typically don't bring any of my firearms but this one place in South Lake Tahoe has been known to have black bears.

I checked with the local ranger and they said you can bring a firearm but not allowed to discharge. What does that mean?!!

FYI: I'm brining a .40SW with 180gr JHP.

all they mean by that is your allowed to have them in case of emergency but don't take your guns out and just shoot in the camp for recreation. only use the firearm as last resort. as for the bear issue just make sure you clean up after your self and keep your food and what not locked up so the bears don't get to it or smell it. when me and my friends were camping at Bridgeport, we saw bears every night but never had a problem with them. the last night we were there we were driving up to our tent sight and there were a couple bears next to our tent but soon as they saw the lights and us pulling up they took off.

ohlone
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
what do you guys think about an AR pistol? will it be enough for a charging bear?

ulv
08-01-2011, 12:27 AM
You may hit the gas tank but I think the train would be still coming.

Hoot951
08-01-2011, 12:47 AM
I'd say just take it with you cause if your gonna have to use it to protect yourself who cares about the law as long as your alive but I would carry something bigger cause a 40cal vs a bear i'd give it to the bear.

generalpetres
08-01-2011, 1:38 AM
he can take out a bear with a 40. aim for the eyes O_O

Quiet
08-01-2011, 7:21 AM
what do you guys think about an AR pistol? will it be enough for a charging bear?

Only if it's chambered in .458Socom or .50Beowulf.

ParanoidCivilian
08-01-2011, 7:44 AM
Best option would be to set up a perimeter of claymore's, then have a predator missile on stand by.

ohlone
08-01-2011, 8:20 AM
just a thought, any .50Beowulf upper with 11 inch barrel? please dont tell me cut it myself, :43:

Killawhale415
08-01-2011, 8:32 AM
To the op if youre going with a .40 glaser safety slugs are also a good choice.
Ive heard good things about these as well http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-40-sw-corbon-powrball-135gr-ammo

The thought of having an ar pistol in .50 beowulf has just caused a disturbace in the force my pants.

sk8804
08-01-2011, 8:51 AM
To the op if youre going with a .40 glaser safety slugs are also a good choice.
Ive heard good things about these as well http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-40-sw-corbon-powrball-135gr-ammo

The thought of having an ar pistol in .50 beowulf has just caused a disturbace in the force my pants.

for bear, no way. These are fragmenting bullets that wont even pass throught the hide. In your house theyre fine.

LovingTheYear1911
08-01-2011, 3:23 PM
just bring a liberal.

This

Tiberius
08-01-2011, 3:37 PM
Black bears are hardly ever a problem. Hiking in grizzly country is something else. At Tahoe, I'd be more worried about fellow humans.

JosephP
08-01-2011, 7:39 PM
My choice would be S&W 629 44Mag.
Nothing weaker....

Sanderhawk
08-02-2011, 6:46 AM
Yeah i`m not worried so much about animals as I am my fellow humans.

natomasboy
08-02-2011, 8:50 AM
Yeah i`m not worried so much about animals as I am my fellow humans.

Got back from the camp trip. Thank God no bear attacks. It was the other campers (major tree-huggers in Tahoe) that put a small sour spot on our trip. But it was still enjoyable for the family. I'm just glad that my kids didn't try to help save an injured animal or face a federal charge of $535!!

http://wusa9.com/news/article/161065/158/Woodpecker-Saving-Daughter-Costs-Mom-500

Wassup with that?!

m4bako
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
check this ammo

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=117

JeremyS
08-02-2011, 6:11 PM
check this ammo

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=117
I think I like the Double Tap offering better in this case (less expensive, too).

...the woodpecker thing is ridiculous... :rolleyes:

fullrearview
08-02-2011, 6:17 PM

Head south out of the basin into Alpine and you can go shooting... Just have these in mind....

Chapter 9.16
FIREARMS

Sections:

9.16.010 Danger zones established—Shooting restrictions.

9.16.020 Safety zones established—Shooting restrictions.

9.16.030 Permit required for firearms use.

9.16.040 Violation—Penalty.

A. The area within one-half mile of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building is established as a danger zone; all public and private campgrounds now or hereafter established, and the area within one-half mile therefrom are established as and determined to be a danger zone; and it is unlawful to discharge any firearm or deadly weapon within this danger zone, unless it be with the express consent of all the owners or persons in lawful possession of the above described structures or campgrounds within the danger zone.

B. Found by the Alpine County board of supervisors to be a congested area, all that area within one-half mile of either side of the Highway 4 corridor from the Alpine/ Calaveras County line east to the eastern end of Lake Alpine is established as a danger zone and it is unlawful to discharge any firearm or deadly weapon within this danger zone, unless it is with the express consent of all the owners or persons in lawful possession of private property located within this danger zone. (Ord. 561 § 1, 1993; Ord. 220 § 1, 1961: Ord. 197A § 2, 1960)

The area within five hundred yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building is established as a safety zone, and it is unlawful to shoot any firearm or deadly weapon into this safety zone unless it is with the express consent of the owners or persons in lawful possession of the above-described structures within the safety zone. (Ord. 197A § 3, 1960)

In order to protect the trees, shrubs and vegetation within the county, it shall be permissible for any individual to use and discharge firearms within the areas prescribed and defined in this chapter when such person shall have first obtained, from the county sheriff, a permit setting forth the area in which such firearms may be used and discharged, and stipulating the caliber and type of firearms to be used, such permit to be granted only upon written application upon the form prescribed by the sheriff; the permit shall be valid for a period not to exceed one year from date of issue or until revoked by the sheriff. (Ord. 197A § 4, 1960)

Violation of any provision of this chapter is declared a misdemeanor, and every person convicted of a misdemeanor for a violation of a provision of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of not exceeding five hundred dollars, or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a term not exceeding six months, or both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 197A § 5, 1960)

resident-shooter
08-02-2011, 6:46 PM
.40 sw? good against rabbits, wolfs and maybe a fox.

Get a Saiga 12

P220ST
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Rio

I know there are a lot of variables involved so there are no correct answers, but what if a guy at a campsite with a .40 S&W had 3 other friends with 45 ACPs and was approached by an angry bear? Do you think this is enough stopping power combined?

crazy
08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Bear spray.

Quickbeam
08-03-2011, 3:35 PM
As long as the camp grounds says it's legal to have a firearm at the site, state law [PC 12031(l)] says it's legal to have a loaded firearm at your campsite (in your tent/cabin, can't walk around with it).

So could one carry openly unloaded within the campground?

I would rather have my unloaded gun on my hip (with magazines on my other hip) rather than have a loaded gun all the way over in my tent.

SofaGeorge
08-03-2011, 4:25 PM
If you are bringing a 40 S&W handgun to bear country... remember - it is very important that you first file off the sights

weezil_boi
08-03-2011, 9:42 PM
Black bears are hardly ever a problem. Hiking in grizzly country is something else. At Tahoe, I'd be more worried about fellow humans.

+1 ... good advice

UserM4
08-03-2011, 10:56 PM
If you are bringing a 40 S&W handgun to bear country... remember - it is very important that you first file off the sights

LOL!

andrewinssf
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Head south out of the basin into Alpine and you can go shooting... Just have these in mind....

Chapter 9.16
FIREARMS

Sections:

A. The area within one-half mile of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building is established as a danger zone; all public and private campgrounds now or hereafter established, and the area within one-half mile therefrom are established as and determined to be a danger zone; and it is unlawful to discharge any firearm or deadly weapon within this danger zone, unless it be with the express consent of all the owners or persons in lawful possession of the above described structures or campgrounds within the danger zone.

B. Found by the Alpine County board of supervisors to be a congested area, all that area within one-half mile of either side of the Highway 4 corridor from the Alpine/ Calaveras County line east to the eastern end of Lake Alpine is established as a danger zone and it is unlawful to discharge any firearm or deadly weapon within this danger zone, unless it is with the express consent of all the owners or persons in lawful possession of private property located within this danger zone. (Ord. 561 § 1, 1993; Ord. 220 § 1, 1961: Ord. 197A § 2, 1960)

The area within five hundred yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building is established as a safety zone, and it is unlawful to shoot any firearm or deadly weapon into this safety zone unless it is with the express consent of the owners or persons in lawful possession of the above-described structures within the safety zone. (Ord. 197A § 3, 1960)

In order to protect the trees, shrubs and vegetation within the county, it shall be permissible for any individual to use and discharge firearms within the areas prescribed and defined in this chapter when such person shall have first obtained, from the county sheriff, a permit setting forth the area in which such firearms may be used and discharged, and stipulating the caliber and type of firearms to be used, such permit to be granted only upon written application upon the form prescribed by the sheriff; the permit shall be valid for a period not to exceed one year from date of issue or until revoked by the sheriff. (Ord. 197A § 4, 1960)

Violation of any provision of this chapter is declared a misdemeanor, and every person convicted of a misdemeanor for a violation of a provision of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of not exceeding five hundred dollars, or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a term not exceeding six months, or both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 197A § 5, 1960)

Good to know. Where exactly in Alpine County is a good area to go shooting? Everytime I'm in Tahoe, I usually just end up going shooting in Carson City...

natomasboy
08-25-2011, 8:04 AM
This just came in.. Man charged for killing grizzly bear in order to protect his family!

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_65972651-9003-5b14-b4e6-730e29ff6b8a.html

markm
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
They do not want you target shooting . Use it just for self defense use. Bear spray works better than a gun for up close cause it takes time for a bear to die and the bear can eat you before it reaches bear heaven...

Hey Sunday,

Bear spray is a good choice; the police don't get called and 95% of the time, the bear goes away.

I always have a back-up 629-6 ready to go though.

Black Bears have never given me any trouble even though I have had many close encounters (30 or 40 encounters). They want your food. Keep a clean campsite and you won't have any trouble.

A few weeks ago, some friends went camping and they did not keep a clean campsite. They still don't understand the concept. They had bear trouble.

I UOC in federal campgrounds all the time. Sometimes, the camp host will ask if it is legal. One camp host called the FS or Sherrif's department. He was told that they would not dispatch a cruiser unless a person was target shooting or brandishing, as UOC is legal at federal campgrounds.

A legally possessed gun is no different than a wallet -- federal court ruling, US v. Ubilles.

markm