PDA

View Full Version : First hand gun purchaser with some questions

tomlemagne
07-30-2011, 1:22 PM
Hey all,

A) are active duty military exempt from safe gun roster stuff like leo's are?
B) im looking at the SA xdm but I believe its not legal? Or is it simply a mag issue?
C) what all goes into a cal ccw permit and are they accepted in other states? Can I get one if I'm stationed outside kalifornia ssr or do I need to be living in state?

Thanks for the help

Librarian
07-30-2011, 1:58 PM
Hey all,

A) are active duty military exempt from safe gun roster stuff like leo's are?
B) im looking at the SA xdm but I believe its not legal? Or is it simply a mag issue?
C) what all goes into a cal ccw permit and are they accepted in other states? Can I get one if I'm stationed outside kalifornia ssr or do I need to be living in state?

Thanks for the help

A) no (your service is - if USAF wants to buy 500 off-Roster pistols and issue them, that's OK)

B) http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ has the Roster for SA guns - I can't pick out an XDm from that, so can't answer the question.

C) if you could get one, some states would seem to honor it, but CA has no agreements with other states, and CA does not honor other states' CCW.

You would need to be a resident of some particular California county or city in order to apply for CCW from the Chief LEO of that jurisdiction; CA does not issue CCW to non-residents

SMR510
07-30-2011, 2:01 PM
No members of the military are not exempt from the roster.

None of the XDm pistols are on the roster.

I don't know enough about CCW as I haven't really looked into it but I know it is rather hard to get compared with other states. I'm sure someone will drop in with more CCW knowledge and help you out there.

One option if you are looking to buy an XDm would be a single shot exemption(SSE). Basically you can buy just about any pistol if it is converted into a single shot configuration during the DROS period. After you take possession you are allowed to put it back to its factory configuration and you are good to go.

Where are you stationed? If you arent a resident of California or stationed here permanently than I don't know if you are eligible to buy a pistol here as you are required to show residency to be able to make a purchase.

Here is a thread with all the info on the SSE process as well as shops around the state that are willing to do/receive the converted pistols.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

Edit: Damn Librarian beat me to it

Mongoblack23
07-30-2011, 2:16 PM
the only thing your exempt from is getting a handgun safety certificate. as far as the rest of your questions, the first two responses are correct.

sgtshen
07-30-2011, 2:25 PM
He is allowed to buy a firearm here as long as his pcs orders says for a base here in california but depending on which base it is you might be able to buy the fire arms through the base rod and gun club they can help with alt of stuff and has alt of information

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

tomlemagne
07-30-2011, 3:47 PM
Im currently stationed at nas pensacola in fl, but im a cali resident, so any weapons I buy are supposed to be legal in ca according to the guy I talked to in pensacola. But being a cali resident I figured I would also try to get pcs'd to miramar or pendleton for my next duty sation and I dont really want to have to sell the guns I buy while out of state if I can avoid it

llamatrnr
07-30-2011, 3:51 PM
You're exempt from paying retail; many, many shops/dealers offer discounts to active military . . .discounts vary - shop around

Thanks for your service.

Librarian
07-30-2011, 5:46 PM
Im currently stationed at nas pensacola in fl, but im a cali resident, so any weapons I buy are supposed to be legal in ca according to the guy I talked to in pensacola. But being a cali resident I figured I would also try to get pcs'd to miramar or pendleton for my next duty sation and I dont really want to have to sell the guns I buy while out of state if I can avoid it

Different set of issues, probably to your benefit.

If you are 'permanently' ordered to Florida, then while you are in Florida you follow Florida laws.

Coming to California, you would have to worry about handguns like the Taurus Judge, that California thinks is an illegal short-barreled shotgun, and barrels with threads at the muzzle, like HK USP Tactical (the barrel is OK to own, but not to have assembled to the handgun; you'd need a non-threaded barrel). Otherwise, you don't have to worry about the Roster - it does not apply to folks moving here. And you don't have to register them unless you separate from active duty and return to CA.

Do not bring in any magazines > 10 rounds (for any firearm), unless you disassemble them and either (1) permanently block them to 10 or fewer, or (2) leave them disassembled inside CA.

Do not buy any weapon listed on the flowchart - http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf - those are 'assault weapons' and cannot be cured until the law goes away.

If you buy an 'off list' weapon, either cannot have 'features' like pistol grip and folding stock, or have them plus be converted to 'fixed magazine' configuration with a magazine lock, typically a 'bullet button'.

See the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Moving_to_California_with_firearms