PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend's dad bought her a Colt .380

cbridgeman
07-29-2011, 3:05 PM
So my girlfriend's dad called me today and told me that he picked up a Colt Government Pocketlite .380 for her for $325. We have been trying to get her to get a CCW permit for a while, and we both think that this might just do the trick. He lives in Utah, and we will be transferring it to her through my FFL.

Since it is a intrafamilial transfer, am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter if it is on "the list" or not?

Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it? It looks to me like he got a great deal.

psango
07-29-2011, 3:07 PM
I believe they often sell for a lot more than that.

InGrAM
07-29-2011, 3:17 PM
I have a colt mustang plus II and it is an awesome gun. I try to not shoot it too much and it is too heavy for a ccw gun IMO (relative to size, weight, capacity, caliber)

But the pocketlite is a different story because it is lighter. I love the old colt .380 pistols, so I would never use one as a CCW gun but that is just me. It will do an excellent job if your gf can remember to take the safety off if anything should ever happen.

Oceanbob
07-29-2011, 3:21 PM
Dad can do an Interfamiliar Transfer (sp)..to his daughter. Since the weapon is not on the roster the FFL can just put this into his computer/paperwork:

12078PC-Exempt from Roster

Personally, I think that weapon is too snappy (.380 kicks MORE than 9MM, mainly because of the blow back design) and too lite. But hey, I might be fun.

Be well
Bob

cbridgeman
07-29-2011, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It is a pretty nice pistol to be CCing, but I think maybe if we get her started with this one we can get something a little cheaper/bigger caliber and put this one in the safe.

InGrAM
07-29-2011, 3:35 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It is a pretty nice pistol to be CCing, but I think maybe if we get her started with this one we can get something a little cheaper/bigger caliber and put this one in the safe.

I would suggest a kel-tec or kahr if she wants a pistol. Their reliable, NOT A CLASSIC and have no safety. But what I would really suggest is a small light S&W .38 revolver like the body guard. Then she does not have to worry about slides and such. Just some advice.

Oceanbob
07-29-2011, 3:41 PM
I would suggest a kel-tec or kahr if she wants a pistol. Their reliable, NOT A CLASSIC and have no safety. But what I would really suggest is a small light S&W .38 revolver like the body guard. Then she does not have to worry about slides and such. Just some advice.

Good advice.!^^^^

A Smith 442 would be perfect. Safe and ready, lightweight and reliable.

(save that gift from dad in the safe; it will only go up in value :D )

ojisan
07-29-2011, 3:44 PM
Personally, I think that weapon is too snappy (.380 kicks MORE than 9MM, mainly because of the blow back design) and too lite. But hey, I might be fun.

Be well
Bob

The Colt Mustang / Gov't .380 family are all locked breech guns, just like a full size 1911.
Most of the new pocket .380s by Kel Tec, Ruger, Taurus and the other clone makers are also locked breech designs.
Recoil is subjective...but the bigger Mustang Pocketlite is easier to control than any of the above smaller .380s.
I do agree that blowbacks can be snappy, I was surprised by the Makarov's 9x18 surprisingly brisk recoil...however, this is near the max for the blowback design.

OP: are there any more Mustangs available for $325? (envy, envy, that's a smokin' good price!)

cbridgeman
07-29-2011, 3:45 PM
The funny thing is she is very petite, but loves to shoot my friend's HK USP .45. That is what she really wants, haha.

someR1
07-29-2011, 3:46 PM
$325 seems like a good deal

Glad ur lady wants CCW :cool2:

cbridgeman
07-29-2011, 3:55 PM
Well, the side business we have involves carrying money, so I already have one. I have really been pressuring her to get one, so her dad was like "Don't tell her until it is already at the gun shop, then she can't say no to me giving it to her." I think from there it will be easy to get her to take the CCW class etc.

Hopalong
07-29-2011, 3:59 PM
Nice.

IMHO, there is something sexy about a chick that can handle a gun!

My GF's dad bought her a gun 30+ years ago.

She shoots it occasionally, and takes a class here and there.

But is not interested in CCW.

Swift Justice
07-29-2011, 4:21 PM
$325 for a Mustang is a smoking deal. They are one of my favorite guns to shoot, although for CCW I would go for something without an exposed hammer and manual safety, but your preference may be different

JanG
07-29-2011, 8:05 PM
pics of her with the gun, or any other gun for that matter :D

cbridgeman
07-31-2011, 9:23 AM
Here you go: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5808_1222094552794_1241863282_679395_6825838_n.jpg

cbridgeman
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM
So I called my FFL to get this transfer started. He told me that I didn't have to use an FFL. I told him that I am not an expert by any means, but that according to Calguns an Interstate transfer of a firearm is required to be done by an FFL by the feds. He then told me that he can't do it because it is not on the roster. I told him that it is his business, but it was allowed as a intrafamily transfer. He said that is incorrect. I thanked him and ended the call.

I then called a FFL that is a bit closer to me and he basically told me word for word what was on the Calguns wiki on the subject, said that he believes that every law abiding citizen should own a weapon, and told me to send the gun to him.

So there is a happy ending after all.

ojisan
08-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Persistance pays off!
Good for you, you found someone who knows what they are doing!
:D

Ubermcoupe
08-03-2011, 1:02 PM
I believe they often sell for a lot more than that.

My Thoughts exactly!