PDA

View Full Version : Starter .308 rifle... Rem 700 or Savage 10FP?

pklin1297
01-09-2007, 7:29 PM
Well what do you guys think? Have heard great things about both rifles and am looking for a starter sub $1,000 setup. Not looking to win 1000 yard shooting competitions with this thing, just sub MOA accuracy out to 100 yards for now. Please give me your choice between these two, or if you have a possible optional candidate please share also.

Thanks much! :)

swift
01-09-2007, 7:53 PM
There was a 700 in the firearm for sale forum yesterday that was within your budget. Today it's sold pending funds.

I vote for the 700. Mine is capable of 0.5" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Too bad I'm not. A previous owner competed with it years ago and shot sub-0.2" with it...and came in something like 10th.

cornholio1
01-09-2007, 7:55 PM
If your gonna one, make it a good one. You don't need two 308 bolts. Go 700

scootergmc
01-09-2007, 8:19 PM
Savage. Cheaper and Accutrigger. Find out exactly what you like before dumping tons of $ into a gun. When you get good and find what/how you like to shoot, get the Rem 700 custom setup exactly how you want. Just my .02.

Outlaw Josey Wales
01-09-2007, 8:22 PM
Decisions! :)

b0lingball
01-09-2007, 8:25 PM
how about the Tikka tactical? Does anyone have any feedback on it?

Matt C
01-09-2007, 8:29 PM
I would go with the savage, both will likely outshoot you and the savage is cheaper and has a better trigger out of the box.

xenophobe
01-09-2007, 8:36 PM
I'd go with the Remington Police or LTR. The Remington trigger can easily be adjusted to have a crisp 2.5# trigger with no perceptible creep in less than 20 minutes. The Savage synthetic stock is absolute crap.

The Accu-Trigger is indeed great, but when you get a Savage w/Accu-Trigger and then buy a solid stock that is worth a damn, like the HS Precision stock the Remington comes with, the Savage will end up costing you more than a Remington 700 with a DIY trigger job.

DrjonesUSA
01-09-2007, 8:36 PM
The Remington, hands down.

Sure the Savage is cheaper, and it shows; the fit and finish is just nowhere near the level of the 700P.

The stock on the 10FP is crap, the HS Precision stock on the 700P is superb. When & if you get serious about shooting and want to shoot further than 100yd, you'll need to replace the Savage factory stock, whereas the HS Precision is just about as nice as you can find, second perhaps only to McMillan.

Both are more accurate than most people who will shoot them, but having handled both, it's obvious that the Remington is a higher quality firearm.

If you don't care as much as I do about fit, finish and overall feel, or just don't have the extra couple hundred bucks for the Rem, the Savage will serve you fine.

I'm not at all knocking Savage guns; they are nice firearms, but not as nice as Remingtons.

Cypriss32
01-09-2007, 8:48 PM
I own both rifle, Savage tacticals in 308 and 30-06. I have remingtons factory in win mag and 308. Sold ALL my savages, would recomend against them. No after market parts, not many stocks, Quality doesnt compair to remington. Anyone that begs the differ can meet at the range and we can see. your savages shoot 1/2" at 100 yards off a bench with a rest, how many times ina row? All my now custom remingtons shoot that all the time and off bipods. Look whos winning competitions no savages, could be a sign.

Aluisious
01-09-2007, 8:54 PM
I'd go Remington 700. It has history and popularity on it's side. When I get a bolt gun you can be sure it'll be a 700 with a synthetic stock, probably the 700P or something like that.

dd03
01-09-2007, 9:00 PM
I have a Savage 10 FP. My friend has a Remington LTR. He had to have a trigger job done because it came with a very heavy trigger pull. But after shooting both, the Remington feels more solid and smooth. I would go with Remington if I had to start over again.

FEDUPWBS
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Well what do you guys think? Have heard great things about both rifles and am looking for a starter sub $1,000 setup. Not looking to win 1000 yard shooting competitions with this thing, just sub MOA accuracy out to 100 yards for now. Please give me your choice between these two, or if you have a possible optional candidate please share also.

Thanks much! :)PM SENT

Whitesmoke
01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
They are both great rifles....but you guys have to remember, the savage is also available with both the HS percision stock (model: Savage 10FPHS...about $700 ) or the Mcmillan stock (about $820). Also the Choate stock ($600-620)

http://www.bigskyguns.com/Savage-Savage_10FPHS_Percision_Law_Enforcement_Rifle.html

http://www.bigskyguns.com/Savage-Savage_10FP_LE2A_Law_Enforcement_Rifle.html

http://www.bigskyguns.com/Savage-Savage_10FP_LE2B_Law_Enforcement_Rifle.html

So the 700 doesn't have a big advantage there.....

BUT...the standard Remington 700 PSS (HS stock)is about $830 also.....
So...you only talking about $130 between the 2 comparable models. Me....I'd probably spend the extra money on the remington unless I got the Savage a lot cheaper or used (The Remington will hold it's value better too). Just my two cents....

phish
01-10-2007, 7:58 AM
I own both rifle, Savage tacticals in 308 and 30-06. I have remingtons factory in win mag and 308. Sold ALL my savages, would recomend against them.
So which is it? Did you sell them or still own them?

No after market parts, not many stocks,
Gee, I guess since AI doesn't make a stock for the Savage action, that means it sucks.

Quality doesnt compair to remington.
I beg to differ, having shot both extensively, especially more than the box/year quota.

Anyone that begs the differ can meet at the range and we can see. your savages shoot 1/2" at 100 yards off a bench with a rest, how many times ina row?
How about at 200 yards slinged up with no sniper bipod?

All my now custom remingtons shoot that all the time and off bipods.
So I take it they weren't shooting like that before you had them customized? How much did that set you back?

Look whos winning competitions no savages, could be a sign.
What competition is this? The Mall Ninja Olympics?

........:rolleyes:

restless
01-10-2007, 8:13 AM
Go with the Remington...there are lots more aftermarket accessories for it since its been around for a while. You can also find more gunsmiths to work on them.

rocknut
01-10-2007, 9:10 AM
When I bought my rifle, it was for hunting and not for the range. I decided on the savage 116 for the price and the accu-trigger. Its my first bolt rifle. My first 3 shot group at 100 yds was 1 1/4". Not great for some of you, but great for a first time shooter his first time behind a 30-06. Mine is a tool and thats how I use it. I don't throw it around or anything. I couldn't find a good reason to go with the 700 for the extra $$$.

Comstock Lode
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Well, I've had the Savage .30 06 for a number of years... some problems with not firing (primer indented, cleaned bolt/firing pin, still problem). Got the Rem 700 5R .308, wow! Love the Rem. < 1 moa after about 20 break-in bullets through the barrel. Rem 5R = $850.

kilword
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a savage 10fp it is a awesome gun (just change the stock if you get the base model) out of the box the trigger is awesome and the groups are amazing
with high quality match ammo I got down to 1/4 " groups no problem.
out of the box its a awesome gun and youll save some cash also to get some optics or whatever.

anotherted
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Rem 700 VS in .308. Leu VXII 3-9x40. = ~ $900.00. Excellent setup.

proraptor
01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Savage 10FP with mcmillian stock is my pick....

zyl8tr
01-10-2007, 4:42 PM
You should have done a poll. So I can click on Rem 700.

socomrobert
01-10-2007, 4:49 PM
I have seen many 700's go down in a class for various reasons to include bedding problems, ejectors getting stuck and other more related to poor maintenance.
My father has a Savage 10FP with the accu trigger...the trigger is nice and it groups in the moa range but since it has not seen many rounds I cannot vouch for its stamina.
The FN PBR uses the controled feed winchester 70 type action with a lot of extractor. I have not shot these but there should be plenty of users that have rounds through them. I have handled them and would take a long look at the FN if my AI were to suddenly take a dive.

Gunsrruss
01-10-2007, 7:54 PM
I have one of these, but it's tricked out with micro sights, and magzine feed so I can shoot cross the course NRA matches with it. I paid 780.00 out the door for it. Now after the sights, jewel trigger, Mcmillan stock, custom sling, bedding, and of course the conversion to magazine,I now have a rifle worth 3000.00 that will out shoot me any day.

RANGER295
01-11-2007, 9:41 AM
Savage 10FP with mcmillian stock is my pick....
+1 I just filled out the DROS papers on mine yesterday. I got it for around $740 which is basically dealer cost. Most of my friends have the 700 but a few of them have the 10FP. I have shot both and have found that the Savage is better out of the box assuming you do not get the regular stock. The guys I know with the 700s have dumped another $400 or $500 into them to make them do what the Savages will do out of the box with one of the better stocks. Having tried them both out of the box, to me the 10FP is the clear choice. It can out shoot me.

CHIGGA73
01-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Ranger 295. where did you get it for that price? pm me details please. i'd love to get my hands on one.

rksimple
01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
For sub $1K, you can't beat the Savage. There are Remington snobs that will tell you otherwise, but don't listen. I have both and for the price, out of the box, the Savage is the winner hands down. Remington has been responsible for putting out some veritable crap recently. Take a look on snipershide for some nice stories.

Here is my sub $1k tackdriver. Savage 10fp in .308, with Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, Bushnell 3200 10x, and Farrel 20 MOA base. Sub $1K with everything in the pic.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/IMG_0037.jpg

Shoots pretty well too.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/Feb-Mar06022.jpg

odysseus
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Since we are on the subject on these models in the price ranges, I would also recommend looking into the CZ 550 varmint kevlar in .308. Comes with a HS Precision kevlar stock and that nice dual position trigger of theirs. It's not bad for the $600 range you can find it for.

Before you go with the 700 PSS, check it out. Lately the fit and finish is not as good on the couple I saw, and see if you like the wide grip on that stock. It's a good rifle, but a lot of hype around it too.

All those and the savage are decent if you are paying the right $ amounts for them.

Alanski56
01-12-2007, 2:20 PM
I'm a little late to this question but I purchased a Savage 10FP-H-S Precision for $799.00 in .308 and I love it. I seriously considered but passed on the Remington. I'm glad I did. Not taking anything away from Remington, just an example of how much I like my Savage.

DrjonesUSA
01-12-2007, 4:01 PM
I'll add, for what it's worth, that pretty much ALL police & military snipers use Remington 700-based guns.

proraptor
01-12-2007, 4:33 PM
For sub $1K, you can't beat the Savage. There are Remington snobs that will tell you otherwise, but don't listen. I have both and for the price, out of the box, the Savage is the winner hands down. Remington has been responsible for putting out some veritable crap recently. Take a look on snipershide for some nice stories.

Here is my sub $1k tackdriver. Savage 10fp in .308, with Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, Bushnell 3200 10x, and Farrel 20 MOA base. Sub $1K with everything in the pic.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/IMG_0037.jpg

Shoots pretty well too.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/Feb-Mar06022.jpg

awesome groupings....how do you like that stock? I was thinking about getting one

Whitesmoke
01-12-2007, 5:08 PM
I'll add, for what it's worth, that pretty much ALL police & military snipers use Remington 700-based guns.

Thats true.....but the police just use the 700's because the military does. And the military choose that platform in the late80's, early 90's.

The remington is a more proven rifle though....and would still be choosen today by the military. The main things the Savage has going for it is it's a little cheaper.....and it has a better trigger out of the box.

DrjonesUSA
01-12-2007, 5:29 PM
Thats true.....but the police just use the 700's because the military does. And the military choose that platform in the late80's, early 90's. [/b]

So? The AR-15/M4/M16 was invented in the late 50's/early 60's and it's the most popular rifle in America among police and civilians, as well as (obviously) being the service rifle for our armed forces.

The FAL, M14 and G3 were all invented in the mid to early 50's, and all are excellent weapons.

What does age have to do with this?

The remington is a more proven rifle though....and would still be choosen today by the military. The main things the Savage has going for it is it's a little cheaper.....and it has a better trigger out of the box.

Yep, as I and others have said, the Savages are fine guns. It just depends on what you are looking for.

The Remington has a better fit and finish, and is higher quality overall. The Remington also has scores of reputable gunsmiths who know how to work on it and do just about anything you want to it. There are aftermarket parts and accessories galore.

Not so much for the Savage.

Both are more accurate than most people who will ever own them.

The Remmy's trigger is easily adjustable too, just maybe not quite as easy as the Savage with their accutrigger.

To each his own, but I loooooooove my 700P. :D

CraigC
01-12-2007, 6:01 PM
Absolutely happy with my 700P (almost) right out of the box. Only thing I didn't like was the 10 pound trigger. Got it lightened, and it easily shoots dime-sized groups at 100 yards.

OTOH, my friend's Savage setup cost only about 2/3s of the 700P setup, but it took him months and months to tune a hand-load so it would get groups better than 2." It needs the tailored loads to get the 0.5" groups

phish
01-12-2007, 6:07 PM
Well, I don't know what kind of loads he was using, but some old 4895 handloads I use in my M1A shot 1/2"-3/4" groups with irons from my out of the box Savage.

Maybe it's the Indian and not the arrow. :rolleyes:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-12-2007, 6:12 PM
For your budget the Savage.
Good glass with rifle. Then bi pod, scope covers,sling,shells.
I have Remington 700P with Leupold 4.5X14-42 and leupold rings and base well over 1k.

Like others i love my 700.

CraigC
01-12-2007, 6:14 PM
some reason or other, that particular 10FP did not like factory ammo, no matter which nut was behind the trigger.

stevepsd
01-12-2007, 6:37 PM
Another plus for the Savage...if you want to change barrels, it's a piece of cake due to the barrel nut design of the Savage. Buy a barrel nut wrench ($25), a set of go & no-go gauges ($40) and that's it. You can buy pre-chambered & threaded barrels for as little as $90 for Adam&Bennett, $300 or so for Lilja, also Hart, Douglass and Walther make them as well. So for as little as $150 you can change out your own barrel. By yourself. No gunsmith.

If you want to change calibers, no problem, as long as you stay within the action length limits (no 375H&H on a short .223 action). If the case head diameter if different, no problem, Due to Savages two piece bolt design, you can simply replace the bolt face - it's held on with a recessed fastener. The bolt-head design also allows the bolt-head to float, ensuring good bolt locking-lug fit.

You are seeing more and more Savages winning NRA F-Class rifle matches. And with the new LRPV model, which does not have the bottom of the receiver milled-out for a magazine, the stiffness of the action has been increased significantally.

We don't need to talk about the accutrigger. It works. Period.

The Savage synthetic stocks (not the McMillian or H-S) are crap - the forearms are to flexible for any serious use. Bell&Carlson, Boyd's, Richards, H-S & others make lots of different stocks for these. Anywhere from $75 & up. The savage wood & laminate stocks, especially the laminate, are fine. All these, including the synthetic ones come fully pillared from the factory.

Gunsmiths don't like savages, because they can't sell you $600-$1000 worth of mods to your $700-$1000 Remington to make them shoot as well as a $600 Savage. Now the Savage's are not as petty as the Rem's, and thebolts are not as silky smooth, but they are just as reliable. And almost every one I have seen has outshot all the others.

My favorite is a shooting buddy who just bought a new $3000 McMillian tuned rem 700. He has got it to shoot a consistant .5" @100ys & 1.7"@300 3 shot groups. I'm at .3"@100yds & 1.1"@300ys with 5 shot groups, with a Savage 10FLP, unchanged except for a B&C Medalist stock. Both are .308 with custom handloads, tuned to each rifle.

Oh yeah, if you want a selection of left-hand rifles (like me) Savage offers more left-hand rifles than anybody.

I still love my 700's - I have more than several. But the savages are darn hard to beat, especially given the flexibility of the platform. The savage shooters site (savageshooters.com) has a wealth of info on all savages, centerfire or rimfire.

01-12-2007, 6:38 PM
For your budget, I would go with the Savage and an up graded stock.

Lambchop
01-12-2007, 9:07 PM
Savage announced at SHOT they have a new accutrigger adjustable down to 6oz. I dont knwo when it will be released though.

DrjonesUSA
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
My favorite is a shooting buddy who just bought a new $3000 McMillian tuned rem 700. He has got it to shoot a consistant .5" @100ys & 1.7"@300 3 shot groups. I'm at .3"@100yds & 1.1"@300ys with 5 shot groups, with a Savage 10FLP, unchanged except for a B&C Medalist stock. Both are .308 with custom handloads, tuned to each rifle.

IMO, if you spend $3K on a rifle like that and are only shooting at 100 yards, you have waaaaaaaay more brains than both money and shooting skills.

As for the rest of your post, that is very cool info!

stevepsd
01-13-2007, 8:21 AM
If you re-read the post, he is shooting at 100yd & 300yds.

Whitesmoke
01-13-2007, 9:04 AM
So? The AR-15/M4/M16 was invented in the late 50's/early 60's and it's the most popular rifle in America among police and civilians, as well as (obviously) being the service rifle for our armed forces.

The FAL, M14 and G3 were all invented in the mid to early 50's, and all are excellent weapons.

What does age have to do with this?

The point was.....whatever weapon the military uses doesn't mean it's the best or anything else. Look at the M9.....

The point was that the remington was adopted a long time ago (Savages weren't even a contender back then.....but I don't think they would have gotten the contract anyways...)......and the military does not easily change from whatever platforms their using due to logistics and cost alone.....regardless how good a new rifle is. Plus politics have a large role in what the military uses. IF they came out with a decently priced rifle tomorrow that never missed it's target...the military probably wouldn't ever change to it due to some reason either fiscal or political.

Now after all that....I'd still choose the 700 unless the Savage is considerably cheaper.

proraptor
01-13-2007, 10:18 AM
The point was.....whatever weapon the military uses doesn't mean it's the best or anything else. Look at the M9.....

The point was that the remington was adopted a long time ago (Savages weren't even a contender back then.....but I don't think they would have gotten the contract anyways...)......and the military does not easily change from whatever platforms their using due to logistics and cost alone.....regardless how good a new rifle is. Plus politics have a large role in what the military uses. IF they came out with a decently priced rifle tomorrow that never missed it's target...the military probably wouldn't ever change to it due to some reason either fiscal or political.

Now after all that....I'd still choose the 700 unless the Savage is considerably cheaper.

What the military uses means nothing....The whole point is the savage is considerably cheaper and comes with more features (accu trigger, easy barrel/caliber changing, etc etc)