PDA

View Full Version : CCW ??

gunner336
07-29-2011, 7:21 AM
Friend of mine got his CCW from San Bernardino S.O. recently. He states he was told in the training session at the Academy that if stopped by CHP that they were to immediately advise the LEO that they were CCW and to expect to be taken out of the car at gun point and proned out. They would be cuffed, searched and then checked. They (CHP) would then check the CCW license.

True ??? This seems a little over the top. Also they were told that it was law that they had to advise all LEO's immediately if contacted that they were CCW even at traffic check point. Is this also true.

One other point was if they had their listed CCW weapon in the center console that they would be arrested as the weapon had to be ON their person at all times. Is this true

Anyone ???

whytea
07-29-2011, 8:43 AM
As a CCW, I have been pulled over a few times by various LEO, including the CHP.

Has never happened to me. I keep hands on the wheel, and when the officer asks for ID or anything else, before moving, I say "I am a CCW, my weapon is on my right hip next my wallet." Never say the word "GUN". The last time a CHP officer pulled me over, he told me no problem, just move slow. Then he wanted to know how I liked my Kimber.

Also, your gun in the console, or glove box, etc, is perfectly legal as long as you have a CCW. In similar fashion, if you did NOT have a CCW, your vehicle interior is considered your person and would be illegal to have a loaded gun in the passenger compartment.

Riverside county recommends to us that we inform LEO's if we are carrying during any interaction with them. During traffic check points, I just hand them my CCW with my license and let them go from there. While I was at an accident scene in Pomona, I informed the responding officer that I was CCW, just in case he or another officer saw it and felt the need to respond. He never even asked to see my permit, just thanked me for letting him know.

BigDogatPlay
07-29-2011, 9:02 AM
Friend of mine got his CCW from San Bernardino S.O. recently. He states he was told in the training session at the Academy that if stopped by CHP that they were to immediately advise the LEO that they were CCW and to expect to be taken out of the car at gun point and proned out. They would be cuffed, searched and then checked. They (CHP) would then check the CCW license.

True ??? This seems a little over the top. Also they were told that it was law that they had to advise all LEO's immediately if contacted that they were CCW even at traffic check point. Is this also true.

That's waaaaay over the top, a gross over reaction, and not how I'd handle it at all. Can't speak for others, but while I am sure whomever said that in training (hoping it wasn't the instructor) means well in saying it, that is hyperbole bordering on FUD, IMO. Given the climate these days an officer who approached the contact in that manner could have some exposure for civil rights violations. At least in my non-lawyerly opinion.

Let's example it a bit here. If I am making an enforcement stop and you, as the driver inform me when I approach that you are carrying and have a permit then that is going to trigger a re-evaluation of the contact. But, and I know this is common sense so it might seem foreign in this day and age, if a person is armed and has a permit, they aren't committing a crime, at least not as relates to their being armed, and would likely be less of a threat to me. I will certainly remain at the heightened state of awareness that I should have on any contact, but dragging the permitee out at gunpoint and into restrained detention is not, given the scenario as I describe, in the cards.

What I'm likely to do is:

** Thank you for letting me know you are armed.
** Ask you where the pistol is located.
** Ask you to keep both your hands on the wheel unless directed otherwise.
** Confirm your permit status as part of the stop.

I may do a few other things as well, but in the interest of officer safety I'm not going to go into tactics. In this scenario it's a very good idea to have your ID and permit in your hands before I get to the window so that way you don't have to reach for them.

One other point was if they had their listed CCW weapon in the center console that they would be arrested as the weapon had to be ON their person at all times. Is this true

Anyone ???

FUD, IMO. No such condition that I am aware of in the law. However...... laying your pistol on the center console is a pretty good way for me to put you at gunpoint... if I see it before you have a chance to tell me why it's there.

Some of us tend to be sneaky and don't always walk up where you think we will.

:D

Notorious
07-30-2011, 5:46 AM
Total FUD. Every but of it. I know some of the instructors of that course, and I will day that SBSD is one of the most professional outfits anywhere.

Fjold
07-30-2011, 6:33 AM
Unfortunately, there are some stupid people teaching CCW courses.

I've been pulled over by the CHP in Los Angeles County and with my hands on the steering wheel I told him that I have a ccw and I was carrying.

He asked me where it was and I told him it was on left hip and that my wallet was on my right hip pocket. After he told me to, I retrieved my wallet and gave him my license and CCW. He wanted to play 20 questions on why I was carrying, etc.

Jonathan Doe
07-30-2011, 6:45 AM
I won't have a problem with people CCW with the license. They may help me someday.

Notorious
07-31-2011, 9:26 AM
Unfortunately, there are some stupid people teaching CCW courses.

I've been pulled over by the CHP in Los Angeles County and with my hands on the steering wheel I told him that I have a ccw and I was carrying.

He asked me where it was and I told him it was on left hip and that my wallet was on my right hip pocket. After he told me to, I retrieved my wallet and gave him my license and CCW. He wanted to play 20 questions on why I was carrying, etc.

I got pulled over by chp near bakersfield before, told him I was packing, didn't have any problems and I don't even have a ccw!:chris::cool2::D:sleeping::cool::rolleyes:

Jonathan Doe
07-31-2011, 9:56 AM
[QUOTE=Notorious;6872869]I got pulled over by chp near bakersfield before, told him I was packing, didn't have any problems and I don't even have a ccw!:chris::QUOTE]

Bragging...

I had a same experience. :)