PDA

View Full Version : Is there an AR pistol FAQ somewhere??

ILVSMOG
07-28-2011, 9:17 PM
I've spent the last 30min searching, but I've only found bits and pieces of info. I need to educate myself! Is there a FAQ specific to building AR pistols in CA??

Thanks!!

smokingloon
07-28-2011, 9:43 PM
That should get you started.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

You can build a lower from an 80%.
Private party purchase a stripped lower. More likely from a LEO or possibly from someone getting rid of their 80% build
The intrafamiliar route
Single shot route

in your searches, I have better luck with google. Just: "type what you are searching for" (add) site:calguns.net

ILVSMOG
07-28-2011, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the link and the google search tip.

I already have a 80% lowered AR rifle (it's my truck gun) but I wasn't aware that we could do 80%-based pistols. If so, can I just plop a short upper on my current 80% lower w/o a buttstock and give it hell??

Thanks again!

ILVSMOG
07-28-2011, 9:59 PM
Ok, after doing a little reading, it looks like I would have to use another 80%, specifically built with the sole intention of being used as a "pistol" lower. Is that correct, or an over-interpretation?

Baconator
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Ok, after doing a little reading, it looks like I would have to use another 80%, specifically built with the sole intention of being used as a "pistol" lower. Is that correct, or an over-interpretation?

Once a rifle, always a rifle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ILVSMOG
07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Yup, I'm slowly piecing this together. It looks like my options are:

1) Build another 80% lower
2) Find a "pistol" lower to buy via PPT
3) Purchase a complete AR pistol via SSE

One of my favorite things about ARs is the ability to build a completely unique piece of equipment, exactly as you want it, so Option 3 is least appealing to me. Looks like 1 or 2 are going to be my best bets. Am I missing anything obvious?

speedjunkie
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Got another question regarding the AR lower. Assuming that the lower has never been "sold" to any "normal individual/non-FFL", but merely held in possession or transferred from one FFL to another FFL (middleman FFL), can it be any AR lower or does it specifically has to be marked as a PISTOL lower? There's a particular stripped lower that I would like to use for the AR pistol build, but will need to have the middleman FFL assemble into AR pistol with SSE configuration before sending it to my receiving FFL in CA and was not sure if any generic AR lower would work. Please advise on this. Thanks.

djleisure
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Got another question regarding the AR lower. Assuming that the lower has never been "sold" to any "normal individual/non-FFL", but merely held in possession or transferred from one FFL to another FFL (middleman FFL), can it be any AR lower or does it specifically has to be marked as a PISTOL lower? There's a particular stripped lower that I would like to use for the AR pistol build, but will need to have the middleman FFL assemble into AR pistol with SSE configuration before sending it to my receiving FFL in CA and was not sure if any generic AR lower would work. Please advise on this. Thanks.
I don't think a CA FFL can take any lower and assemble it into an SSE config. It certainly doesn't matter if the lower is marked PISTOL or not (mine isn't) but I think when they get the lowers from the manufacturer they are designated as pistol (they would need to enter the lower into their books as a pistol) or long gun. I know in other states, any lower can be built into a pistol, but I'm not sure if FFL's can do that here.

Sorry, I guess that's not very helpful, but at least I know they don't need to be marked as PISTOL. :)

speedjunkie
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I guess I should have clarified a little more. What I was planning to do was buy a stripped AR lower and have it assembled into an AR pistol in single shot status out of state. Then have it shipped into to CA and DROS'd at my local dealer.