PDA

View Full Version : LASD Helicopter call sign

Tacit Blue
07-28-2011, 5:11 PM
Any of you LASD guys, know of a Chopper called " Sheriff's 6" Just wanted to make sure that is your bird, i heard it on the radio. This was near Palomar airport in San Diego County. I know OCSD uses " Duke".

retired
07-28-2011, 5:25 PM
That's secret stuff you know. If we answer your question, you realize what has to be done right.:D;).

I never heard that nomenclature while I was on and in patrol, but I've been gone for a few years, so who knows if things have changed.

Hilldweller
07-28-2011, 5:42 PM
"Raven 6, Raven 6 this is Scout 3. Target 3 klicks heading one-four-zero degrees from grid Xray-Tango-Three-Niner, Heavy Fire!, repeat Heavy Fire!, Fire for effect, Fire for effect, Over".........(Kshhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

By the way that's a patrol unit asking for aerial support in Lakewood on a traffic stop....

Good code eh?

PS - just kidding

Tacit Blue
07-28-2011, 5:54 PM
That's secret stuff you know. If we answer your question, you realize what has to be done right.:D;).

I never heard that nomenclature while I was on and in patrol, but I've been gone for a few years, so who knows if things have changed.

maybe it was ' air 6' or ' airship 6'

Jonathan Doe
07-28-2011, 5:58 PM
We have Air-5 (Big Sikorsky) for rescue operations. Other ones are just called "air unit" when I was on patrol.

duster1974
07-28-2011, 6:02 PM
Air-5 Is sick. MJ got a nice ride on it, and it saves dozens of dumb hikers and climbers every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrGeSi1lQ0Y

Fastattack
07-28-2011, 6:04 PM
Have you tried http://www.freqofnature.com/ ?
They have lots of info.

retired
07-28-2011, 8:51 PM
"Raven 6, Raven 6 this is Scout 3. Target 3 klicks heading one-four-zero degrees from grid Xray-Tango-Three-Niner, Heavy Fire!, repeat Heavy Fire!, Fire for effect, Fire for effect, Over".........(Kshhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

By the way that's a patrol unit asking for aerial support in Lakewood on a traffic stop....

Good code eh?

So, if you aren't joking, when did did the city owned helicopter in Lakewood stop being called "Skynight." I am probably dating myself by using that name and mentioning the city owned it and furnished a civilian to fly it with a deputy observer.:D

I'd also wonder when Lakewood units had names like Scout 3. When I worked the station I worked unit 135 (Hawaaian Gardens), 132 (Cerritos, I think) and the Paramount car (can't recall car number; too long ago:o).

Ron-Solo
07-28-2011, 9:32 PM
Lakewood's helicopter is still called Sky Knight, and was the first regular "patrol" helicopter began in 1966. Aero Bureau used to have names for their aircraft such as "Argus" but got away from names years ago, with the exception of "Sky Knight", which is a joint operation between the City of Lakewood and the Sheriff's Department.

They now use call signs such as Air-21, 22' 23 for PM shift crews, Air 6, 7, & 8 were day shift crews. Air 5 or Air Rescue 5 is the big Siskorsky H3 rescue helicopter you often see on tv. Crew consists of a pilot, co-pilot, crew chief, and two deputy paramedics. Some days they will also have a doctor (reserve) on board. In the rare event they have multiple Siskorskys in service, the second will use the call sign "Air 5A"

And Retired, they still use the 130 designation for LKD. 132- City of Lakewood, 133- City of Bellflower, 134- City of Artesia, 135- City of Hawaiian Gardens, 136-City of Paramount. When Cerritos was part of Lakewood Station, they used the 131 series. When we had parts of Long Beach they used 138 for North Long Beach and 139 for East Long Beach. 137 designated a county car, which was rarely used because there was minimal unincorporated area and were covered by the local city car.

Cerritos now uses the 230 series call signs.

Tacit Blue
07-28-2011, 9:53 PM
Lakewood's helicopter is still called Sky Knight, and was the first regular "patrol" helicopter began in 1966. Aero Bureau used to have names for their aircraft such as "Argus" but got away from names years ago, with the exception of "Sky Knight", which is a joint operation between the City of Lakewood and the Sheriff's Department.

They now use call signs such as Air-21, 22' 23 for PM shift crews, Air 6, 7, & 8 were day shift crews. Air 5 or Air Rescue 5 is the big Siskorsky H3 rescue helicopter you often see on tv. Crew consists of a pilot, co-pilot, crew chief, and two deputy paramedics. Some days they will also have a doctor (reserve) on board. In the rare event they have multiple Siskorskys in service, the second will use the call sign "Air 5A"

And Retired, they still use the 130 designation for LKD. 132- City of Lakewood, 133- City of Bellflower, 134- City of Artesia, 135- City of Hawaiian Gardens, 136-City of Paramount. When Cerritos was part of Lakewood Station, they used the 131 series. When we had parts of Long Beach they used 138 for North Long Beach and 139 for East Long Beach. 137 designated a county car, which was rarely used because there was minimal unincorporated area and were covered by the local city car.

Cerritos now uses the 230 series call signs.

Thanks for the clarification Ron! Mystery solved.

http://verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=16147

" SAN DIEGO – (January 20, 2011) – Hangar One Avionics, a division of Schubach Aviation specializing in repairs and installation services for government and private aircraft, has been awarded a multi-million dollar contract by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) to transform its new fleet of 14 Eurocopter AS 350 B2 helicopters into mission-ready aircraft."

retired
07-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ron for the correct unit numbers for the cars. I at least got the HG car right since I trained in that beautiful city.;) I was there in 1982 and just couldn't recall the rest of numbers.

geeknow
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I'd also wonder when Lakewood units had names like Scout 3. When I worked the station I worked unit 135 (Hawaaian Gardens), 132 (Cerritos, I think) and the Paramount car (can't recall car number; too long ago:o).

Retired,

It still is skynight. see him everynight around 6 ;). BTW, those guys fly the MOST predictable pattern that you can imagine.

I can tell you, exactly, where that helo will be later today. In fact, you want to stop by, we can wave at him together.

:cool2:

g

Hilldweller
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
So, if you aren't joking, when did did the city owned helicopter in Lakewood stop being called "Skynight." I am probably dating myself by using that name and mentioning the city owned it and furnished a civilian to fly it with a deputy observer.:D

Just messin'. Skynight was the bird I remember also, from a LONG time ago.
Have a bud who used to fly for LASD. Many a fun ride in the 4-seater NOTAR's. We used to joke on the intercom with stuff like I posted. Only downside to the rides were the endless circling, could get a bit queasy at times.

TrailerparkTrash
07-30-2011, 2:30 AM
AERO BUREAU vs. SKYNIGHT:

Skynight is also referred to as "SkyFRIEGHT" by many within the department because they can never go outside of Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos and Artesia. Nowa days, they call the county ships every time a call for air support goes out for Paramount and Hawaiian Gardens. They also call a county ship every time they need a FLIR search. It gets old. The Skynight program is NOT, nor has it ever been associated with the department's own "Aero Bureau." Both programs don't even share the same hanger, building, office space or maintenance crews. Aero Bureau has their own full time mechanics dedicated soley on the A-Stars and Sikorsky's. The A-Star mechanics cover 21 hours per day with their varrying shifts. The last two mechanics leave in the early morning hours when the big crew shows up at 5 or 6 in the morning to start the day all over again.

Skynight is owned by Lakewood city and has contracts for patrol with Bellflower, Cerritos and Artesia. They have a civilian pilot and a sworn deputy from Lakewood station. Skynight flys in a little gold fish bowl like most small agency airborne law enforcment helicopters do. They fly a big circle around the city and that's it.. Aero Bureau crews fly "County wide." From the deserts of Palmdale/Lancaster, to the sea (Zuma Beach on down the coast) to Catalina and San Clemente Islands (Yes, that Navy island is part of Los Angeles County).

The Skynight observer deputy DOES NOT attend any formal TFD/TFO (Tactical Flight Deputy) training, unlike the Aero Bureau TFD's do. The Aero Bureau TFD's have a one week ground school, followed by 6 months of intense TFD training all over the county. The Skynight pilot is a civilian pilot compensated from the city of Lakewood, generally with zero law enforcement experience and very limited pilot experience in the professional world. Aero Bureau pilots are full time sworn deputy sheriff's that had to put their "time" into formerly being assigned to patrol, custody and some other specialized unit or position (detectives, FTO, etc...). Also, all Aero Bureau pilots were at one time Aero Bureau TFD's. They only promote from within their unit.

LASD AERO BUREAU CALL SIGNS:

Sheriff-6 is a call sign used loosely for transportation flights or "other" missions not associated with the "patrol" mission. Photo flights would be categorzed along those lines too. To the OP, you're hearing "Sheriff-6" going to and from Long Beach airport, down to Palomar because of Hanger-1 doing the retrofitting of the new fleet. There are other call signs used in addition to Sheriff-6 for the flights down into San Diego county.

Here's the basic line up with Aero Bureau's call signs:

Sheriff-1, (When the Sheriff himself is on board)
Sheriff-2, (Undersheriff on board)
Sheriff-3 (any Assistant Sheriff on board)

Sheriff-4 (Trans flights, admin mission flights etc...)

Air-5 (Rescue)

Sheriff-6 (trans or generally photo flights)

Sheriff 7 (day shift patrol)
Sheriff 8 (day shift patrol)

Sheriff 9 (pilot training ship)
Sheriff 9E (pilot training ship)
Sheriff 9K (pilot training ship)
Sheriff 9M (pilot training ship)
Sheriff 9T (pilot training ship)

Sheriff-11 (special missions)
Sheriff-19 (secondary north county patrol ship)

Sheriff-21 PATROL (Swing Shift, AKA: PM'S)
22 PATROL " " " " "
23 PATROL " " " " "
24 PATROL (GRAVEYARD, AKA: EARLIES)

Sheriff-29 (Primary north county PATROL ship)

Sheriff-109 Malibu/Zuma beach PATROL
109A Malibu/Zuma beach PATROL

Also, on aircraft frequencies, the term "Sheriff-???" is used for air traffic control purposes. For the police radios and the deputies on the ground, the call sign is switched from ther term of "Sheriff-?" to "Air-?" For example, "Sheriff-21" to Long Beach Tower is "Air-21" to ALL of the ground units etc... To get more confusing, the rescue helicopter uses the term "Air-5" for both ground units as well as air traffic control..

All of the fixed wing aircraft also have their own department call signs used for air traffic control that I didn't mention.

Also, this list above isn't listing every single call sign that is formally "registered" with Southern California TRACON (aka: SoCal) air traffic control and Los Angeles Center ATC for LASD Aero Bureau. I just gave you the most prevalent call signs used 98% of the time.

SIKORSKY H3's:

Those rescue helicopters will be in the grave yard by next year. The department just recently purchased three Eurocopter "Super Pumas" for all future Air-5 operations. They are getting outfitted for their mission as we speak. The Sikorsky's are flying coffins, barely hanging on to life with duct tape and bailing wire.....

geeknow
07-30-2011, 3:33 AM
Wow. Thats a lot of info right there. Heck of a report. Well done.

Tacit Blue
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
I was waiting for trailer trash to chime in. Thanks for all the info! I knew it was a LASD A350, maybe ill go by hanger 1 and snap some pics.

556fmj
07-30-2011, 5:03 PM

TrailerParkTrash is legit!

retired
07-30-2011, 7:02 PM
Just messin'. Skynight was the bird I remember also, from a LONG time ago.
Have a bud who used to fly for LASD. Many a fun ride in the 4-seater NOTAR's. We used to joke on the intercom with stuff like I posted. Only downside to the rides were the endless circling, could get a bit queasy at times.

Okey dokey.:D I recall when working patrol there, that it seemed at least once a week you would hear a call from the pilot saying, "We're going down, we're going down." One of the deputy observers who had worked in it for awhile finally decided he had had enough when it went down for the 3rd time in a short period of time.:eek:

TPT, thankfully when I rode on one of the Sikorsky's over to Catalina, it was not in that shape (circa 1982).:D Two of us rode over to pick up a couple of prisoners and we got to watch the annual 52 mile skiing race below us for a bit. The door was open, the observer was sitting on the floor dangling his legs outside (probably just to scare us) and we just kept tightening our restraint belts so we wouldn't get sucked out.:eek::D

Ron-Solo
07-30-2011, 8:51 PM
Hey TrailerPark, good summation.

I was a SkyKnight observer back in the early 80's. That was before any TFDs got any formal training. Then, all of the SK pilots were all very experienced pilots. Most were instructors and all but one was a military veteran with combat experience. Two had the DFC from Vietnam. Last I heard even the SK observers were attending Aero Bureau's training program. As a SK observer I went as far north as Malibu on a 998 when Aero was not available and we would often respond to Norwalk and Lynwood and Firestone areas on hot stuff. Just needed W/C approval then. The Hughes 300 was a good aircraft for the mission it was tasked for, and LKD units had better air support than any other station.

Retired, you must be talking about Doug Dunford and Air 140 out of Industry Station. He went down three times in six weeks in old aircraft that should have been retired. After the third time, Aero replaced all their remaining piston helicopters. Last time I talked to Doug he was the Chief of Police in Escalon, CA in the central valley.

TPT, the original "Sky Knight" in 1966 was totally LASD both pilot and observer and was a test program out of Lakewood Station. The City of Lakewood, the original contract city, was very involved in the program and assisted with funding. When they moved control over to Aero Bureau (formerly Aero Squadron) the City of Lakewood kept the name Sky Knight and its operation remained at LKD with a civilian pilot and the observer out of LKD. Aero Bureau used the call sign of Argus and eventually upgraded to larger and faster aircraft.

While I have the utmost respect for aero bureau, and there are many excellent deputies there performing outstanding missions, Sky Knight will always have a special place in my heart. Following the Northridge earthquake, I was the observer in the first LE air unit airborne, including Aero Bureau and LAPD. My call sign that day......Sky Knight. We beat aero by about 10 minutes due to fog. Long Beach airport was still closed due to fog and Sky Knight spent the night on the pad at Lakewood station. The fog lifted earlier and the pilot was waiting at the station as soon as the fog lifted. Ah.....the memories.

TrailerparkTrash
07-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey Ron,

Oh I know that the former pilots for SK were great people and still carry good reputations. It's just lately, the program has been lacking since the old school pilots retired out. (Wes and the female I can't remember her name). One SK pilot was fired over a year ago and he was there for only a hot cup of coffee. He claimed to be an ex-military pilot and "Special Forces Medic" (his words), yet he choose to land at Los Alamitos AAF without permission when the base was closed. His reasoning??? He claimed that he wanted to go to "church".... then it was "no I gotta use the restroom...." All pilots both professional and hobbiest type ALL learn early on in flight training school that landing on a military base is a big NO-NO. (Unless it's an emergency). One CAN NOT ever land on a military base without prior approval and red tape paper work completed! Why the guy did that was a bone-headed move.

Plus, he's had several "priors" of incidents elsewhere. DOHHHHH! H.U.A.!!!!! So, the City rightfully fired him to get rid of the liability. Right now the program has a new guy (been there about a year or so) and from what I've heard from the fellas there, he's a good humble guy and a great pilot too. I met him once at one of our training days, he was invited over.

Sadly however, Bellflower and Artesia are considering dropping the program like Paramount did because of budget issues. The city of Lakewood is stressing that they might have to pick up the entire tab for the program which might lead to it's demise. Nobody knows for sure yet with this economy.

Yeah, there were a couple of SK (Lakewood) deps that are observers that went through a 1 week ground school course at Aero but that's it. It's not their fault they don't get the training for 6 months. That's a city budget thing unfortunately. :D:D:D

ironcross
07-31-2011, 2:48 AM
Dam, LA Co. has the most complex call-signs I've seen.

Here in SD Co. for Sheriff's is;

A.S.T.R.E.A. 1 - A Shift (MD 530F)
A.S.T.R.E.A. 3 - C Shift (MD 530F)
A.S.T.R.E.A. 5 - Training (Hughes 500D) IIRC
A.S.T.R.E.A. ~ - Can be taken for whatever shift (Bell 407)
A.S.T.R.E.A. 10 - Firefighting (Bell 205A1++)
A.S.T.R.E.A. 12 - Firefighting (Bell 205A1++)

A.S.T.R.E.A. is an acronym for Aerial Support To Regional Enforcement Agencies

Just seems simple :D

We also got down here A.B.L.E. (Air Borne Law Enforcement) from SDPD.

Most of the county stuff is handed to ASTREA and SDPD keep to their own with ABLE. ABLE will help out on calls for ASTREA when they are refueling and vise versa.

Sad though when USBP's foxtrot is down, they request for Cites or Counties airship they can't communicate due to USBP's encryption. As they would have to patch with either CLEMARS or an LE CMD Channel. Dispatchers worst day. As they are working primary and LAW CC to pass/receive info

TrailerparkTrash
07-31-2011, 1:54 PM
Ironcross,

Yup, I know what you mean. Soooo many call signs. LAPD air support is very similar to LASD. "Here are some very simple call signs for surrounding agency air units:

Basic LAPD call signs, (not inclusive): "Police-3, 11, 16,18" etc.... Several more numbers for them that usually do not mix with LASD's numbers and vice-versa. "Police-24 & "Police-25" are pilot training aircraft IIRC and their numbers/mission changes, just like LASD ocassionally.

Anaheim: "Angel" or "Angel-1"

OC Sheriff: "Duke", "Duke-1", "Duke-2"

Costa Mesa: "Eagle" or "Eagle-1" (Program disbanded about a month ago due to budget cuts).

Huntington Beach PD: "HB-1"

Riverside Sheriff: "Star" or "Star-?" (with a number). (I once heard them call themselves "Star-98" like the radio station!!!! :) )

San Bernardino Sheriff: "40-King"

El Monte PD: "Police-44", "Police-45"

Long Beach PD: "Police-26", "Police-28", "Police-29"

South Bay part time contract helo (serving Torrance, Redondo, Manhattan, Hawthorne, etc...): "Police-55"

Pasadena: "PD-1"

Glendale/Burbank: "Air-1" (IIRC, I'm drawing a blank with those guys :confused: )

Pomona PD (part time) : "Pomona police-1"

CHP (For LA & Orange counties) "CHP-50" or "CHP-55"

Ontario has an air unit and I can't remember what they call themselves.

Corona PD: "Crown-1" (seasonal unit, not flying at the moment IIRC due to no $$$$. Never hear them on the air anyway.)

I'm drawing a blank at the moment for others right now..... I need more beer. :D:D:D

retired
07-31-2011, 7:24 PM
Ron, it wasn't Doug and I'm pretty sure it was at Lakewood with SkyKnight. The deputy's first name IIRC, was Al, but I can't recall the rest. I checked the 1981 dept. photo album for both Lakewood and Industry stations, but couldn't find his picture at either station.:shrug:

Ron-Solo
08-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Trailer, I flew with Wes, Monica McIntyre (she still instructs) and Conrad Drummond mostly. Conrad died of cancer a few years back he was an amazing pilot. I loved flying with all of them.

The bigger the department, the more complex the call signs. They have specific meanings if you know how to decipher them, then they make sense.

My last call sign before retirement was J421L
J=Court Services Division
4=east Bureau
21= Pasadena District
L= Area Lieutenant

When you know how to break it down, it makes sense for a huge department with 20+ patrol stations, multiple custody facilities, 50+ different court facilities, and countless detective units.

Frequency Clear, KMA628. :D

ALOHA!

TrailerparkTrash
08-01-2011, 8:35 AM
Trailer, I flew with Wes, Monica McIntyre (she still instructs)
Monica!!!!!! Yes, I couldn't remember her name. Seems like everybody really liked her. I met her a couple of times prior to her retireing. I don't think she's flying anymore due to medical issues. :(:(:(

She deserves retirement anyway. I belive she flew for skynight for a long long time.

eltee
08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Back in the day my wife worked in Pasadena in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and flew with the LASD all the time on transports, etc. Based on how she described it, I believe she was in a big Sikorsky. She had nothing but praise for the LASD crews and always felt safe.

Ron-Solo
08-01-2011, 9:44 PM
Monica flew at least 20 years in Sky Knight.

Eltee, Air 5 used to fly Siskorsy S58T helicopters before they got the H3's. The H3 is a very expensive aircraft to maintain, but they look amazing in green and gold. :)

cantcme
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Hey trailerpark, didn't this guy work MCJ before becoming a LASD pilot?

TrailerparkTrash
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
CANTCME,,,,, Hahaha!!!! Hilarious! I think yer absolutely right!

ironcross
08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey trailerpark, didn't this guy work MCJ before becoming a LASD pilot?

CANTCME,,,,, Hahaha!!!! Hilarious! I think yer absolutely right!

HAHHA... :laugh:

Ron-Solo
08-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Ron, it wasn't Doug and I'm pretty sure it was at Lakewood with SkyKnight. The deputy's first name IIRC, was Al, but I can't recall the rest. I checked the 1981 dept. photo album for both Lakewood and Industry stations, but couldn't find his picture at either station.:shrug:

Possibly "AJ" or Al Johnson?

Tacit Blue
08-25-2011, 1:10 PM
Alright, LASD is becoming quite a nuisance with their new flag ship Astar orbiting my house every other day in the morning... In fact i woke up to the sound of your guys bird rumbling the roof on my house, i think it's time to start complaining........ Cop watch? haha :D

I think it's time for SDSD to send a Bell UH-1 Huey over one of y'all s houses, so you know where i'm coming from.

Noise abatement procedures aren't being follow by your Pilots, ideally if you wana orbit do it over a sparsely populated area. Not over a residential zone. And since i'm on a hill, the difference is like -600 ft from me.

Ron Solo, tell them to come by earlier around 7:00 am and i won't need my alarm clock :P

retired
08-25-2011, 1:35 PM
Alright, LASD is becoming quite a nuisance with their new flag ship Astar orbiting my house every other day in the morning... In fact i woke up to the sound of your guys bird rumbling the roof on my house, i think it's time to start complaining........ Cop watch? haha :D

I think it's time for SDSD to send a Bell UH-1 Huey over one of y'all s houses, so you know where i'm coming from.

Noise abatement procedures aren't being follow by your Pilots, ideally if you wana orbit do it over a sparsely populated area. Not over a residential zone. And since i'm on a hill, the difference is like -600 ft from me.

Ron Solo, tell them to come by earlier around 7:00 am and i won't need my alarm clock :P

Ron can't tell them anything; he is retired.:D

Tacit Blue
08-25-2011, 1:54 PM
Ron can't tell them anything; he is retired.:D

Let me re-direct that back to Trailerparktrash , since he's a flyboy for them i believe. :D

copter976
08-25-2011, 4:25 PM
Gee, I thought there wasn't supposed to be any "Gripeing" in this forum??!!!:confused:

retired
08-25-2011, 5:30 PM
Gee, I thought there wasn't supposed to be any "Gripeing" in this forum??!!!:confused:

Did you happen to notice that he used one of these :D, wrote "ha, ha" before it and used the smilie near the end of his comments also, except that it came out :P instead of the actual smilie. That means his post was made in a humorous manner.

By the way, "Gripeing" is spelled griping.;)

TrailerparkTrash
08-25-2011, 11:29 PM

This is why I LOOOOVE "F.A.R. 91.119 (d) and (d)(1). "....helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed......" In other words, helos can fly low and slow........ That seems to really tick folks off. :D:D

Tacit Blue
08-26-2011, 1:57 PM
This is why I LOOOOVE "F.A.R. 91.119 (d) and (d)(1). "....helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed......" In other words, helos can fly low and slow........ That seems to really tick folks off. :D:D

Yeah who can forget about FAR 91.119. You guys can go below 500 AGL.

Ron-Solo
08-26-2011, 2:50 PM
Yeah who can forget about FAR 91.119. You guys can go below 500 AGL.

The better to see you with........... :cool:

mej16489
08-26-2011, 2:53 PM
http://celluloidheroreviews.com/images/blue-thunder.jpg

Tacit Blue
08-26-2011, 3:15 PM
The better to see you with........... :cool:

You guys caught me....

http://strackattack.com/gifs/apache%20FLIR%20guy%20pissing.gif haha

Gnome
08-30-2011, 4:07 AM
Trailer,

Maybe you can answer this... I know we are getting rid of Air 5 (sikorsky) soon. I read that we are going with the Super Puma instead. Sweet looking helicopter. But, I have read that it has a troubled past. I have read that they commonly go down. There have been several incidents where they have gone down while transporting oil workers to and from the off shore oil wells. Just coincidence, or faulty equipment? Or not designed for inclimate weather?

copter976
08-30-2011, 6:58 AM
Did you happen to notice that he used one of these :D, wrote "ha, ha" before it and used the smilie near the end of his comments also, except that it came out :P instead of the actual smilie. That means his post was made in a humorous manner.

By the way, "Gripeing" is spelled griping.;)

Wow.... teach ME not to gripe...

Oh, and I can't forget the... :D

infernl
08-30-2011, 7:20 AM
Ontario has an air unit and I can't remember what they call themselves.

When I was a kid, my dad had the scanner on constantly. We lived in Ontario and the patrol helo had a callsign of "40-King".

TrailerparkTrash
09-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Trailer,

Maybe you can answer this... I know we are getting rid of Air 5 (sikorsky) soon. I read that we are going with the Super Puma instead. Sweet looking helicopter. But, I have read that it has a troubled past. I have read that they commonly go down. There have been several incidents where they have gone down while transporting oil workers to and from the off shore oil wells. Just coincidence, or faulty equipment? Or not designed for inclimate weather?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't heard or read up on the incidents you mention. I would surmise that it was probably pilot error during inclement weather, but I'm not up on actually crash data with super pumas. I do know that the super puma is not really used in the USA. It's used in south america and Europe.

One super puma left long beach yesterday to fly up to Canada for paint and equipment retrofitting. The other two will depart next week. They should be 10-8 withing 6-9 months and the Sikorsky H-3's will be dead and outa service forever.

TrailerparkTrash
09-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Trailer,

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't heard or read up on the incidents you mention. I would surmise that it was probably pilot error during inclement weather, but I'm not up on actually crash data with super pumas. I do know that the super puma is not really used in the USA. It's used in south america and Europe.

One super puma left long beach yesterday to fly up to Canada for paint and equipment retrofitting. The other two will depart next week. They should be 10-8 withing 6-9 months and the Sikorsky H-3's will be dead and outa service forever.

When I was a kid, my dad had the scanner on constantly. We lived in Ontario and the patrol helo had a callsign of "40-King".
"40-King" is the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept. call sign for their air unit. They sometimes help Ontario PD, but Ontario PD has their own air unit too.