PDA

View Full Version : so cal shooting range issues

Hkfanatic
01-09-2007, 3:14 PM
anyone here get a strong talkin to after bump fireing at a range??

last saturday i was at fireing line in lytle creek and a buddy of mine wanted to see it done, i did 10 rnds out of my registered olympic ar15 and they acted like i had just shot at 30 people

i understand that they may not want that kind of thing done on their range but please put up a sign saying not to do so. if there was one i didint see it.

anyone else encounter this kind of hassle?

-HK

Prc329
01-09-2007, 3:20 PM
Did you check the rules? Angeles has the rules posted stating no rapid fire. Most ranges have the rules clearly posted as well as a no rapid fire policy.

proraptor
01-09-2007, 3:24 PM
Go to burro canyon and get yourself a tac range....They are located away from the regular ranges and you are pretty much left alone

USP
01-09-2007, 3:27 PM
thats funny, because last time i saw the ranges web site it said rapid fire was permitted.

Heavy_Grinder
01-09-2007, 3:34 PM
anyone here get a strong talkin to after bump fireing at a range??

last saturday i was at fireing line in lytle creek and a buddy of mine wanted to see it done, i did 10 rnds out of my registered olympic ar15 and they acted like i had just shot at 30 people

i understand that they may not want that kind of thing done on their range but please put up a sign saying not to do so. if there was one i didint see it.

anyone else encounter this kind of hassle?

-HK

Lytle Creek is still open??? I remember going there when I was a kid.
Do you still have to yell out SETTING UP TARGETS!!!.

I remember that place being a trash dump. People use to bring out all kinds of crap to shoot at (old tv's, appliances, refrigerators, propane tanks).

As for your bump firing. Yeah its cool to bump fire, but rules are rules. Common sense would tell you that bump firing isnt allowed at any public range unless you get a green light from the range master to do so.

Hkfanatic
01-09-2007, 3:39 PM
lytle creek isint just a open shooting wasteland any more it's and actual range with tables and rso's
it's ok but i think for now on i'll stick to the middle of nowhere

Hkfanatic
01-09-2007, 3:48 PM
like most of the doj's wording i think it's all subjective in the eye of the beholder, grossly negligent to me is swinging the gun in all directions screaming like a mad man in some unknown dialect.

if pointing a rifle downrange at the hip during open fire, useing a belt loop to hold your thumb against the trigger is considered grossly negligent by the DOJ.

then banning an H&K91 just because it looks evil when a M1A will put the same effect on the same target more accurately at a greater range (depending on model) is grossly negligent.

not flameing anyone just venting on the futility of these laws which im sure all of you can agree on

-clinton: "can you define is??"

laabstract
01-09-2007, 3:53 PM
I actually dont know of any range where bump firing is allowed

eviioiive
01-09-2007, 6:59 PM
im sure the rules also dont say anything about shooting apples off your buddies head but you just dont do some things at a range....

salvageland
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
burro canyon lets you shoot as fast as you want as long as its form a shoulder drawn weapon, although on weekdays they donn't have a range officer supervising so you can do pretty much anything you want except shoot other people :-)

Spiggy
01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Burro canyon still frowns on rapid-rapid firing... I got scolded for fanning a Ruger Mk1 once... Never done it again-

however, fingering my SKS, I've managed to pull some fast shots(3-4 rounds), and the ROs were ok with it as long as it's fired from the shoulder and not bumping from the hip.

photog
01-10-2007, 9:12 AM
I actually dont know of any range where bump firing is allowed

Ya can at my range, Bishop Gun Club. Of course there is no RSO either...

DRH
01-10-2007, 9:33 AM
I asked at Lyle Creek and the RO said that he would not have any problem with me bumpfiring, but they would prefer that I did not because they did not want newbies trying it and having an aciddent.:rolleyes:
Another time, I was bumpfiring at a private range off the 118 and the regulars all came over and told me I had an illegal machine gun. :eek: Once the process was demonstated to the group they asked that I not do it as the noise might scare their neighbors?? Unfortunately when on private property you must obey the rules even if they are not logical.

Sydwaiz
01-10-2007, 9:43 AM
I've been asked at lytle creek to not bump from the hip but shoulder is okay. things might have changed since then though

SixthChameleon
01-10-2007, 9:59 AM
In my experience, the ROs at Lytle Creek are open to just about any shooting scenario as long as safety is not compromised, although some may not agree that bumpfiring is unsafe. Last time I was there, a couple of buddies and I were rapid firing from the shoulder in unison and they didn't care. In fact, one time when the range was mostly empty, we were doing some practical shooting scenarios, and they were cool with it. If there is anything that may be perceived as sketchy at first glance, chances are, that if you notify them in advance, they aren't likely to frown on it. I'll take the ROs at Lytle Creek over the tightwads that run Angeles any day.

FNC80
01-10-2007, 9:26 PM
Should have checked with someone before pulling that stunt. Common sense.