PDA

View Full Version : Drama at the RV Park

mr.precision
07-28-2011, 6:23 AM
My wife and I recently spent a night in an RV park in Utah. We parked our 38' motorhome in the evening and spent a quiet night there. Next morning I took our dachshund for walk. About 50' from our coach, a pitbull (complete with chrome-studded collar) launched himself through the door of a nearby travel trailer and came full tilt, teeth bared, towards us. I grabbed the dachshund, and prepared to get attacked. At the last moment, the dog's owner appeared and called off the pitbull. Heated words were exchanged. I told the owner of the pitbull that I was getting my revolver from our coach, and that if his dog made any more threats to me or my dog, the pitbull was going to be dead pitbull. More heated words were exchanged, and the dog and his owner disappeared back into their travel trailer.

So, had I shot this dog in fear of my well being, what would be the potential outcome from a law enforcement perspective? I certainly don't take this action lightly. And I would go to jail anyday rather than have myself, or my pet, be attacked under these circumstances.

MaHoTex
07-28-2011, 6:50 AM
Go to jail for your pet? Seriously?

glock_this
07-28-2011, 6:57 AM
A pitbull did this? Oh shock... Say it ain't so :rolleyes:

Oceanbob
07-28-2011, 7:05 AM
Here in Californistan you could get arrested for threatening to get a gun.

I suggest getting some pepper spray and don't mention gun play at all.

Yugo
07-28-2011, 7:08 AM
he said in UTAH not cali...

Falconis
07-28-2011, 9:58 AM
Go to jail for your pet? Seriously?

Well, let's just say I'll do what is necessary to defend myself and my pets. Just my opinion, but that's a bad owner. Some of the best dogs I have seen are pitbulls. That being said, pits are a difficult dog to own, so if a person is going to own one, they better know what the hell they are doing.

As to what would happen to the OP, depends on the story told to the cops.

Don the savage
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Most reputable parks don't allow pits, rotts or other dogs with a history of general attack ( save your "my pit is a gentle giant and rescues kittens and let's them ride on his back" reply) best bet was to let park management know and have the offending party removed. If you have a dog that breaks through doors after a fearsome wiener dog you need to camp somewhere by yourself, not a park because next time your well trained animal may not stop at command.

BigDogatPlay
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Don't make threats to "go get a gun" or threaten to shoot the dog. That's a recipe for no fun no matter what state you are in.

If the dog attacks you or a member of your family, you're lawfully armed and you can do so safely then shoot it, end of story.

As above... park management is your friend on this.

E Pluribus Unum
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Just shoot the dog and tell LEOs you feared for your life.

End of story, no jail, especially in Utah.

TrailerparkTrash
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Best bet is to just "do" and not tell someone what you "might do." You don't want to look like you premeditated a plan to take out the guy's pit bull (in the future.)

However, lets supposse hypotheitically that you alread had your gun with you in the RV park and the situation went down the way you described it exactly.

Here comes "jaws-with-paws" (aka: pitt bull) running full speed getting ready to attack YOU! (Remember, a human life is always more important than an animals life when looking at the law). Look at my "KEY WORDS" in capital letters and you must really emphasize and articulate to the cops your state of mind on why you were FORCED to use your weapon for "SELF DEFENSE" and why you felt so threatened:

You were walking your puppy that beautiful morning/evening when suddenly you heard a loud "BEAST" of a growl and saw this "RAGING, FOAMING AT THE MOUTH" "VICIOUS" dog with "SHARP TEETH" charging at you like a "SCUD MISSILE." Here's only a sample of good reporting to the police:

You saw the dog "TEAR THROUGH" the owner's screen door like a "BAT OUTA HELL", comming right at you. You thought about turning around to run, but you realized that due to your "MEDICAL CONDITION" (you'll have to come up with something good there if it is applicable), you knew you could "NEVER" outrun that "VICIOUS, FOAMING AT THE MOUTH SPOTTED AFRICAN HYENA"

Suddenly, as the dog "RACED" closer to you, "CLOSING THE DISTANCE OF YOUR SAFETY ZONE," you thought you heard the sound of "SMALL CHILDREN" laughing and playing in the park, somewhere behind you. (Doesn't matter if they were there or not, you just "HEARD" them "ENJOYING LIFE.")

You decided that you needed to "RETREAT" to "SAFETY" somehow and you scooped up your puppy, "NARROLY ESCAPING A LUNGING MONSTER-DOG THAT CAME WITHIN INCHES OF BITING OFF YOUR HAND." The vicious animal "APPEARED TO BECOME MORE ENRAGED BY THE SECOND" as you had to "DODGE AND WEAVE" away from the "BEAST" as it's jaws "CONTINUOUSLY SNAPPED" at you.

Continuing.... Your "ADRENALINE" rush was so high, you felt like you were going to have your "SECOND HEART ATTACK" at any moment because your heart was beating a "MILLION MILES AN HOUR" while "TRYING TO ESCAPE FROM THE RABID AND FEROCIOUS DEVIL-DOG!!!" Then throw in for a second time: "...I THOUGHT ABOUT THE CHILDREN AGAIN AND THEIR IMMEDIATE SAFETY!!!!" (That one really helps out your cause in circumstances like this...)

After trying to avoid this "WALKING LAND-SHARK MAULING MARAUDER" and having complete "TUNNEL VISION", you suddenly felt like you were going to "BLACK OUT" (again, from both FEAR and your pre existing MEDICAL CONDITION" ...wink wink). Simultaneously, you have a flashback of your "CHILDHOOD," growing up on a chicken farm. You then realize and have "SUPPRESSED FEELINGS" that instantly emerge of when you were "MAULED NEARLY TO DEATH" by a pack of "FERAL PIT BULLS". "WITHOUT WARNING", everything starts to go "BLACK" as the pit bull comes within inches of "RIPPING YOUR ARMS OFF" and "LUNGING AT YOUR THROAT."

As you feel your legs "BEGINNING TO BUCKLE AND FALL OUT FROM UNDER YOU," your realize that you're about to be "DEVOURED ALIVE" by this "RABID BABY T-REX." With just a blink of an eye, you have "NO CHOICE" but to save yourself "AND THE CHILDREN PLAYING JUMP ROPE SOMEWHERE IN THE DISTANCE BEHIND YOU", you withdraw your gun and shoot the "BEAST" to stop his "FOOD PROCESSOR" (teeth) from taking out your family jewels.

Then, when it's over, you wet your pants (for visual effects for the police), and if able, you faint right in front of the officer as he's getting your statement. Don't turn down paramedics if offered either. Lastly, ask the officer while you're in and out of conciousness on the ambulance gurney.... "WHAT ....WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN???? ARE THEY OKAY????"

If you ARTICULATE your feared condition, you'll probably go unscathed in that scenario. If you just said, "yeah officer, the dog came at my dog, so I wasted him," it doesn't sound too good as describe above. :D:D:D

***Disclaimer: For entertainment, yet educational purposes only. :D:D

E Pluribus Unum
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
***Disclaimer: For entertainment, yet educational purposes only. :D:D

No educational value at all. When talking to police at the scene of any weapon discharge, even the shooting of a dog, the script is short and sweet:

I feared for my life when this ________ (dog, person, vehicle, et cetera) attempted to harm me.

I presented my firearm, fired it, and called the police.

(If it is a person) I want this person arrested.

I would love to cooperate further with you once my attorney is present.

mr.precision
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Interesting variety of responses. Thanks to all.
Yes I would go to jail in order to save my doxxie's life. She's been an integral part of our lives since retirement. If you don't understand this, nothing I can say will explain.

Pepper spray is a great idea.
Making a threat with a firearm is, as you say, a bad move.
Most good RV parks don't allow big dogs. I did speak with the park managment upon departure. Their response was "yeah we know that guy (permanent resident, obviously) and we'll speak with him" (yeah right).
This could happen anywhere (happened to a friend in Texas this year).
Lesson learned: leave the revolver parked and carry some pepperspray when you walk the dog in public.

llamatrnr
07-28-2011, 2:44 PM
No educational value at all. When talking to police at the scene of any weapon discharge, even the shooting of a dog, the script is short and sweet:

I feared for my life when this ________ (dog, person, vehicle, et cetera) attempted to harm me.

I presented my firearm, fired it, and called the police.

(If it is a person) I want this person arrested.

I would love to cooperate further with you once my attorney is present.

Well done, sir.

Shellshocker66
07-28-2011, 6:45 PM
I understand the protecting the dog part especially if it was a sweet little dachshund! I've had to grab up my Chiweenie (chihuahua/dachshund) and chihuahua a few times with people letting their dogs run loose in the neighborhood without leashes. I always have my boys on harnesses now so I don't choke them if I need to get them up quick. And I always carry pepper spray but little hard to get to when you have your arms full of dogs who are wanting down to play with a new friend (they think every dog is going to want to play with them).

But yeah probably best not to tell them about what you will do, although in the heat of the moment I could totally see why you did it.

S.A.
07-28-2011, 7:57 PM
A non-lethal weapon you might consider is a collapsible compact umbrella. I used these back in my meter-reading days. Pop it open on charging dog and it will stop/scare crap out of dog. To make it lethal/painful on dog followup with a well placed kick.I've stopped many a dog with this.