PDA

View Full Version : For all you "heavy hitter" buffs!

Time of Flight
07-28-2011, 5:51 AM
This is an awesome article.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Ballistics.

Goes over and compares all the heavy hitting pistol calibers in great detail...

460 Rowland, .38 Casull, .40 Super, and my personal favorite the 10mm...theres also a few more in there too...

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/03/lies-damned-lies-and-ballistics.html

21SF
07-28-2011, 7:24 AM
Good read thanks.

starsnuffer
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Um, it's a 6 year old article consisting of a guy babbling mall-ninja theory using a bunch of numbers and no real world information or ballistics testing. No thanks.

-W

VegasND
07-28-2011, 1:36 PM
I thought this thread would be about this guy:
XQ09-girOKc&feature=related

Time of Flight
07-28-2011, 1:51 PM
Um, it's a 6 year old article consisting of a guy babbling mall-ninja theory using a bunch of numbers and no real world information or ballistics testing. No thanks.

-W

Ok I will agree that the part of the article containing the weird "Killing Power Formula" or whatever is kind of dumb, but in contrast of all the loads and there respective power levels are spot on.

Besides it never hurts to to read a different perspective. Even if you don't agree with it or think its correct.

starsnuffer
07-28-2011, 4:29 PM
Ok I will agree that the part of the article containing the weird "Killing Power Formula" or whatever is kind of dumb, but in contrast of all the loads and there respective power levels are spot on.

Besides it never hurts to to read a different perspective. Even if you don't agree with it or think its correct.

I always felt this (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm) article was good and included a lot of real world information (and possibly the only decent thing coming out of arfcom).

-W

-hanko
07-28-2011, 7:02 PM
This is an awesome article.

Goes over and compares all the heavy hitting pistol calibers in great detail...

460 Rowland, .38 Casull, .40 Super, and my personal favorite the 10mm...theres also a few more in there too...
A headache took over about halfway through that "article", but I did get through it. A quick summary...the largest diameter bullet tends to stop the fight soonest, given adequate penetration.

I always felt this (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm) article was good and included a lot of real world information (and possibly the only decent thing coming out of arfcom).

-W

Good article, and by far not the only good arfcom stuff...try building an authentic retro rifle w/o the info on arf. Anyway, that article again reiterates adequate penetration and a big bullet.

stormvet
07-28-2011, 8:35 PM
"Its shot placement", "Its shot placement", my 9mm is just as good. Maybe if I say it enough even I'll believe it.

HA HA, had to have some fun with it before the "ITS SHOT PLACEMENT" crowd get's here.

CK_32
07-28-2011, 8:46 PM
can someone summarize that for me?

too much to read too lazy to bother... whats the out come on them.

CK_32
07-28-2011, 8:53 PM
Seriously someone with a pressure plate and put a piece of steel on the front and take shots with the 9mm 45 and 40 and see what numbers pop up.. Its that simple so we can end this stupid knock down power bs everyone swears by.. If I had the equipment I would have done the dam thing and settled it once and for all.

So someone with a pressure plate and all calibers and a piece of steel do the test so we can end all this 9mm vs 40 vs 45 acp bs. Or give it to me and ill do it.

ElvenSoul
07-28-2011, 8:56 PM
No love for the 44-40...former official gun of Texas Rangers.

JanG
07-28-2011, 11:30 PM
"Its shot placement", "Its shot placement", my 9mm is just as good. Maybe if I say it enough even I'll believe it.

HA HA, had to have some fun with it before the "ITS SHOT PLACEMENT" crowd get's here.

but i'm a horrible shot so i take the biggest bullet and pray i hit something :D

Time of Flight
07-29-2011, 3:28 AM
Seriously someone with a pressure plate and put a piece of steel on the front and take shots with the 9mm 45 and 40 and see what numbers pop up.. Its that simple so we can end this stupid knock down power bs everyone swears by.. If I had the equipment I would have done the dam thing and settled it once and for all.

So someone with a pressure plate and all calibers and a piece of steel do the test so we can end all this 9mm vs 40 vs 45 acp bs. Or give it to me and ill do it.

Dude relax...This is not a 9 vrs 40 vrs 45 thread!

its more like a 10mm vrs .400 corbon vrs. 40 super thread...

CK_32
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Dude relax...This is not a 9 vrs 40 vrs 45 thread!

its more like a 10mm vrs .400 corbon vrs. 40 super thread...

I'm relaxed dude... I was just saying.

21SF
07-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Also that would tell you nothing, we can come up with the numbers without the pressure plate and sensors.

All your going to get is the Pounds per inch, which wound tell you the whole story.

To many variables, that why no one had done that.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
The 'Shot Placement' crowd has arrived.. Those niche calibers are cool and probably great for hunting or bragging rights during show and tell. Utterly useless for self defense. In the absence of a long gun, a 17rd 9mm 92FS or M&P in skilled hands and a cool head will win the day.

Sorry, but I can just envision some Cooter with a big magnum revolver blathering about stopping power who attempts to use it in a HD scenario and is blinded and deafened by the single round he fires, which misses wildly. FAIL.

CK_32
07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Also that would tell you nothing, we can come up with the numbers without the pressure plate and sensors.

All your going to get is the Pounds per inch, which wound tell you the whole story.

To many variables, that why no one had done that.

Well it would obviously show the energy behind the hit... which in turn would be the same as if it would hit you. Yea it will go through you but it still still show which caliber has more energy when it makes contact. pressure is pressure.. Which then can mean how much pressure is going to impact your chest...

The 'Shot Placement' crowd has arrived.. Those niche calibers are cool and probably great for hunting or bragging rights during show and tell. Utterly useless for self defense. In the absence of a long gun, a 17rd 9mm 92FS or M&P in skilled hands and a cool head will win the day.

Sorry, but I can just envision some Cooter with a big magnum revolver blathering about stopping power who attempts to use it in a HD scenario and is blinded and deafened by the single round he fires, which misses wildly. FAIL.

I agree but AGAIN the way to win the argument you have to make an outrageous claim and take it to the extreme.. Any fool with a .50 DE for HD is a hill jack to begin with.. I'm talking smaller more realistic calibers. Yea all of you guys talk big about shot placement and having a cool head.. But when that day comes your going to **** your self. So the day you are in a HD situation and can hit his spine let us know.. Till then its all just talk. And because someone uses a 9mm over a 45 doesn mean his shots are going to be all over the place. Again you must be talking over the internet because i didnt shoot a 45 until 3 weeks ago and all these guys talk about how wild the 45 shots will be over a 9mm... No I actually shot a tighter average group with a 45 at my range than I did with my average 9mm... So stop spreading FUD.

And im not saying the 9mm will not do the job. A bullet is a bullet (for the most part) its going to f you up.