PDA

View Full Version : Got my first 1911! took it the range (Got some grips)

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
I've wanted a 1911 in 9mm for a long time so I picked up the springfield Loaded with target sights. I shot about 70 rounds and so far I'm impressed. It was fitted in the US, not Brazil.
Here's my review of it.

Trigger: Holy smokes. This is the first time I pull the trigger on a 1911 and it breaks so well. I was amazed how well these triggers work. A local gun store (MAYFIELD GUNS IN FRESNO) does trigger jobs for just $55. Should I take advantage of the this?

Grip: Feels good but I think my SP-01 fits my hand a little better. I thought I wasn't going to like cocobolo grips that came with the gun but I actually do. I ordered some custom grips from Larry Davidson so they should be here tomorrow.

Sights: This is the first time I buy a gun that has black/adjustable sights so I need to get use to them. I would lose focus of the front sight because it would blend in with the black target. What do you guys recommend, should I paint the front sight? Or what about the bead? How does it get installed?

Accuracy/Reliability: Not a single jam. Every time I pulled the trigger it went bang. I messed up, I left a piece of plastic in between the take down lever and the frame last night when I was cleaning it. This caused it to not lock back several times. my fault
---How accurate was it? check out the pictures below.
40 ROUNDS @7 YARDS (3INCH TARGETS)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/63477998.jpg
ABOUT 25 ROUNDS @7 YARDS

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/e8d27d22.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/e07944c6.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/98425289.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/8f3b8938.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/f7724a80.jpg

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Any parts or springs you guys/gals recommend I change to make it run better?
More pics
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/9e59bbb7.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/1b8e9e02.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/1e254020.jpg

Brandon04GT
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice gun....but is it just me or is that a lot of slide overhang?

I have an NM Loaded with a bit more overhang than I see on other NM Loaded's so I'm gonna be giving SA a call to see what they can do for me...that and a couple other things

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 10:46 PM

I have an NM Loaded with a bit more overhang than I see on other NM Loaded's so I'm gonna be giving SA a call to see what they can do for me...that and a couple other things

Yup, a lot actually. The slide had two small scratches but I wasn't sure if it was enough to complain to S.A. about. check this one out
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/Onufriyenko/reviews/WCCarry/wilson5.jpg

Brandon04GT
07-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah I'm about to call up SA tomorrow to see what they can do about my slide overhang. The gun also came with a really deep hairline scratch on the grip safety that looks almost like a fracture. I would be happy if they could replace that as well.

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah I'm about to call up SA tomorrow to see what they can do about my slide overhang. The gun also came with a really deep hairline scratch on the grip safety that looks almost like a fracture. I would be happy if they could replace that as well.

How much overhang is acceptable?

jonzer77
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
You are getting more and more steel guns :)

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Thats what it looks like...

As far as upgrades for your new shooter, if it were me, I would get rid of the ambi-safety, I hate those things with a passion lol I would also get an extended slide stop since I have small hands, but those are my preferences...

I wouldn't put any new springs or any other fancy stuff in it until you know it's reliable, otherwise being new to the platform you may deminish the reliability, if you decide you want to do anything to it, get the Kuhnhausen manuals, they will explain everything in detail you could ever want to do.

Also, you said that you liked the trigger, if that's the case, why send it for a $55 trigger job? No reason for that...as far as I'm concerned, I thoroughly enjoy the 10-8 flat triggers, not only do I enjoy the looks, I really like how they feel. I set up my carry piece for 4.5lbs that breaks crisp with minimum pre-travel and minimum over-travel, it's fantastic with a flat trigger :D

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 11:00 PM
How much overhang is acceptable?

the slide should be flush with the end of the frame rails, could be a barrel fitting issue as well, but easy case scenario is they never flushed up the back of the slide, if the gun is accurate it's likely not a barrel fitting issue

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Thats what it looks like...

As far as upgrades for your new shooter, if it were me, I would get rid of the ambi-safety, I hate those things with a passion lol I would also get an extended slide stop since I have small hands, but those are my preferences...

I wouldn't put any new springs or any other fancy stuff in it until you know it's reliable, otherwise being new to the platform you may deminish the reliability, if you decide you want to do anything to it, get the Kuhnhausen manuals, they will explain everything in detail you could ever want to do.

Also, you said that you liked the trigger, if that's the case, why send it for a $55 trigger job? No reason for that...as far as I'm concerned, I thoroughly enjoy the 10-8 flat triggers, not only do I enjoy the looks, I really like how they feel. I set up my carry piece for 4.5lbs that breaks crisp with minimum pre-travel and minimum over-travel, it's fantastic with a flat trigger :D
to make it better, that's all:D

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM

you could feel better about it and learn to do it yourself, all it takes is a couple tools, but the knowledge you gain is priceless :D

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 11:08 PM
you could feel better about it and learn to do it yourself, all it takes is a couple tools, but the knowledge you gain is priceless :D
I guess I could learn how to do it my self. I've seen videos of how to completely disassemble a 1911 and so far I wouldn't dare doing it my self. Seems like a complex job:o

peopleofthesun
07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Good shooting! Some day I'll shoot that good..haha. Thank again for letting us try out your collection. I think you adjusted the sights on the Beretta cause I was actually able to make a ragged hole with it for once.. :)

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Good shooting! Some day I'll shoot that good..haha. Thank again for letting us try out your collection. I think you adjusted the sights on the Beretta cause I was actually able to make a ragged hole with it for once.. :)

Hey what's up
like I told you earlier, any time, just let me know. I'm still thinking about that trigger on your Beretta. It felt awesome. I might have to put that on my shopping list for the future.

Black Majik
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Nice grab! The only thing I'd probably swap out would be the MSH to get rid of the ILS. Ya know, no need for any fancy lockwork, maybe drop in a 19# main spring.

Twiggz
07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Run better? It sounds like its running well to me. I'd suggest putting 500 to 1000 rounds through her before doing any upgrades. But thats just me.

Some people say removing the ILS cleans up the trigger. I just installed an S&A magwell and standard spring on my operator, to get rid of my ILS. But I noticed no change to my trigger feel. YMMV

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Nice grab! The only thing I'd probably swap out would be the MSH to get rid of the ILS.

Yeah, I always forget about Springfields having that...

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I'll look into that for the future thanks
Nice grab! The only thing I'd probably swap out would be the MSH to get rid of the ILS. Ya know, no need for any fancy lockwork, maybe drop in a 19# main spring.

I agree. They told me the same thing at Mayfield.
Run better? It sounds like its running well to me. I'd suggest putting 500 to 1000 rounds through her before doing any upgrades. But thats just me.

Some people say removing the ILS cleans up the trigger. I just installed an S&A magwell and standard spring on my operator, to get rid of my ILS. But I noticed no change to my trigger feel. YMMV

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 11:41 PM
I guess I could learn how to do it my self. I've seen videos of how to completely disassemble a 1911 and so far I wouldn't dare doing it my self. Seems like a complex job:o

it's very easy, a couple pins and it's all apart, the only thing semi-difficult is lining up the disco/sear to pin it, but that's easily remedied by using a toothpick...I also use golf tees to pop out frame pins as they would never mark up metal and they're a great size for it :D

Blackhawk556
07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
I forgot to ask, I picked up a Mecgar mag at the gun show last week for $27 bucks. Is that a good price for them?

PRCABR4Christ
07-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I forgot to ask, I picked up a Mecgar mag at the gun show last week for $27 bucks. Is that a good price for them?

Thats pretty steep for them, although they should be good to go...I prefer WIlson Service Mags ($20 at Brownells/Midway) and Chip McCormicks/WIlson 47d's ($30 give or take)

JanG
07-28-2011, 1:03 AM
9mm mags tend to cost a bit more than 45 acp mags.

i had the same epiphany when i shot my nm mil spec last week. i've had rocks, kimbers, an sa gi before. but this feels just right. i was planning on turning it into a meusoc clone, but it feels so good i might just leave it as it is.

Blackhawk556
07-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Anyone done any custom serrations on their 1911 grip? What's the price for this type of work?

Thats pretty steep for them, although they should be good to go...I prefer WIlson Service Mags ($20 at Brownells/Midway) and Chip McCormicks/WIlson 47d's ($30 give or take)
i looked around and it looks like $27 is about right once you count shipping charges.

nbkvig2
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
May I ask where did you get the gun? I am looking for the same one but in .45 caliber, also with NM prefix serial.

biloutkast
07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Beautiful pistol!

Blackhawk556
07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
May I ask where did you get the gun? I am looking for the same one but in .45 caliber, also with NM prefix serial.
there's one here but it says you may or may not get one with NM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243904559

Beautiful pistol!
:D

1lowluv
07-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Damn nice!

Freq18Hz
07-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Here's my 1992 NM

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq184/freq18hz/1dec0c54.jpg

-Freq

redcliff
07-29-2011, 9:12 AM

First, I'd contact SA about the slide overhang and see what they say. If they want you to send it back then you might inquire about them doing a trigger job and front strap checkerring at the Custom Shop.

Front strap checkerring usually runs $150-200 and since your pistol is stainless it wouldn't require a refinish.

For pure target 1911's I like 3lb trigger pulls, but I don't know how low SA will go due to liability issues. I would not go lower than 4lbs on a home defense/carry pistol though.

In regard to the front sight, if you want to stay with all black have the front sight serrated; that gives you something to focus on; i.e. making sure you can see the serrations. However fiber optic front sights and gold bead sights are faster and easier to pick up.

The rest is up to you; if it fits you well don't change anything. If the grip is too thick get slim grips and bushings. If the trigger reach is too long have a short trigger installed while having the trigger job done. For my average size hands I personally prefer slim grips/short triggers/flat mainspring housings but many like standard grips/long triggers/arched mainspring housing.

Don't install an extended slide stop; they're not needed or desireable. The slide stop can be operated easily with your support hand thumb or just sling shot to release from slide lock.

Malmon
07-29-2011, 9:42 AM
I have two of these, the target and the tactical version. The target version with the adjustable sight is US made with the NM prefix serial number. Just like yours it has a noticeable slide overhang, I sent it back to springfield and according to them since it does not interfere with function, they will not touch it but can send it to their custom shop and it will not be considered as warranty work. In other words, I have to pay for it. I opted just to use it the way it is

The second one which I bought earlier this year has the three dot fixed sights with the made in Brazil stamp. The slide and frame fit is perfect. Based on my experience, contrary to what some people are writing about, having a Brazil stamp is not a disadvantage at all.

Ninja45
07-29-2011, 1:16 PM
" I messed up, I left a piece of plastic in between the take down lever and the frame last night when I was cleaning it. This caused it to not lock back several times."

Are you talking about a shock buff? Remove it as you don't need it and like you said will cause slide to not lock back. Also, hard to slingshot the slide to battery.

Blackhawk556
07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
First, I'd contact SA about the slide overhang and see what they say. If they want you to send it back then you might inquire about them doing a trigger job and front strap checkerring at the Custom Shop.

Front strap checkerring usually runs $150-200 and since your pistol is stainless it wouldn't require a refinish.

For pure target 1911's I like 3lb trigger pulls, but I don't know how low SA will go due to liability issues. I would not go lower than 4lbs on a home defense/carry pistol though.

In regard to the front sight, if you want to stay with all black have the front sight serrated; that gives you something to focus on; i.e. making sure you can see the serrations. However fiber optic front sights and gold bead sights are faster and easier to pick up.

The rest is up to you; if it fits you well don't change anything. If the grip is too thick get slim grips and bushings. If the trigger reach is too long have a short trigger installed while having the trigger job done. For my average size hands I personally prefer slim grips/short triggers/flat mainspring housings but many like standard grips/long triggers/arched mainspring housing.

Don't install an extended slide stop; they're not needed or desireable. The slide stop can be operated easily with your support hand thumb or just sling shot to release from slide lock.
I'll give them a call and see what they say about the overhang. the grips are fine, I just wanted something new that's all.
.................................................. .................................................

I have two of these, the target and the tactical version. The target version with the adjustable sight is US made with the NM prefix serial number. Just like yours it has a noticeable slide overhang, I sent it back to springfield and according to them since it does not interfere with function, they will not touch it but can send it to their custom shop and it will not be considered as warranty work. In other words, I have to pay for it. I opted just to use it the way it is

The second one which I bought earlier this year has the three dot fixed sights with the made in Brazil stamp. The slide and frame fit is perfect. Based on my experience, contrary to what some people are writing about, having a Brazil stamp is not a disadvantage at all.
From what I noticed, the loaded models with 3 dot novak sights all had Brazil stamped (N serial number) on the frame. The 9mm model with adjustable sights like mine, all have NM serial numbers. I wonder if all the loaded 45 ACP models follow this system.
.................................................. .........................................

" I messed up, I left a piece of plastic in between the take down lever and the frame last night when I was cleaning it. This caused it to not lock back several times."

Are you talking about a shock buff? Remove it as you don't need it and like you said will cause slide to not lock back. Also, hard to slingshot the slide to battery.

No, I literally left a piece of plastic underneath ($ tupid me). I pulled the plastic but it ripped and a piece got stuck underneath. look
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/WP_000190.jpg

Blackhawk556
07-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Is this the standard logo for springfield mags?
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/763ad177.jpg

I got my grips today. They feel more rough than the stock ones but not bad. They are Larry Davidson grips.
Sorry about the lighting
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/d2610a04.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/15a529cb.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/27439bc7.jpg

JanG
07-30-2011, 6:40 AM
nice looking grips. and those mags look like metalforms. they make 1911 mags for everybody, well almost.

den888
07-30-2011, 7:52 AM
Nice 1911!

cprieto
07-30-2011, 9:34 AM
Nice grips, are those Wilson? I'm about to put a SA Loaded in jail next few weeks, thanks for sharing and good luck on the overhang issue.

MrExel17
07-30-2011, 9:41 AM
Cool Grips, its nice to change them out it gives a diff look, and good luck on the issues. I always have a bad day when issues arise with my toys. But at the end it all works out.

Blackhawk556
07-30-2011, 10:02 AM
@@@@CPRIETO....i think Larry Davidson makes the Wilson grips but I'm not 100% sure. Those grips are on the Wilson combat gun on larry's website.

joe_sun
07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm wishing I got the 9mm Springfield instead of my Loaded 45 model. I've got 9mm coming out the wazoo and the 1911 is my ONLY 45acp firearm.

Mine has a slight slide overhang but it's only on one side. Go fig.

Heiko
07-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll give them a call and see what they say about the overhang.

Did you call Springfield about this? I have an "underhang" on my Loaded Champion. The frame rails protrude a bit beyond the slide. The gun is reliable and I haven't had any problems with it over 500 or 600 rounds but it does look a little goofy.

I have read that others have had this issue and SA has written it off as "normal". Just wondering what they might have told you.

Press Check
07-30-2011, 12:41 PM
That's an awesome looking pistol!

Kodachrome
07-30-2011, 6:44 PM
Does that magazine have in indentation that runs the length of the mag?
Rob Letham of all those shooting championships was a mojor designer in those mags. The indentation was to keep the 9mm rounds seated towards the back of the magazine to aid feeding.
You said the pistol was new? Does the slide lock forward with out the magazine? It looks like it does in some of the pics with the new grips.
I seems to run OK if you had a firing out of battery I think you would notice by the recoil and the extracted brass somewhat ruptured. I have had this happen granted in a Ruger mark II due to the pistol being a bit dirty.
If the pistol is new maybe it just needs to be broken in some more. If you push the slide forward does it seat properly? I use a piece of plastic by the slide lock to help prevent the almighty idiot scatch.
Congrats on your 1911 9mm I'm still looking for one down here in OC.
Happy Shooting

Blackhawk556
07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Does that magazine have in indentation that runs the length of the mag?
Yes it does, check it out

Rob Letham of all those shooting championships was a mojor designer in those mags. The indentation was to keep the 9mm rounds seated towards the back of the magazine to aid feeding.
You said the pistol was new? Does the slide lock forward with out the magazine?
yes it's new. Do you mean does it lock back without?

It looks like it does in some of the pics with the new grips.
I seems to run OK if you had a firing out of battery I think you would
notice by the recoil and the extracted brass somewhat ruptured.
I have no idea what you mean by this, sorry.

I have had this happen granted in a Ruger mark II due to the pistol being a bit dirty.
If the pistol is new maybe it just needs to be broken in some more. If you push the slide forward does it seat properly? I use a piece of plastic by the slide lock to help prevent the almighty idiot scatch.

I used plastic as well, that's what i left under the take down by accident.
Congrats on your 1911 9mm I'm still looking for one down here in OC.
Happy Shooting

^^^^
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/WP_000194.jpg

osxgp
07-31-2011, 1:47 AM
Overhang like that is sloppy work in my opinion. Nice gun, but that looks like an example of poor quality control. Itdoesn't take away from reliability but looks pretty bad. Personally, I would call Springfield and have them fix it. That would drive me crazy.

Anchors
07-31-2011, 2:51 AM
Awesome looking pistol and nice shooting.

I love those grips (the stock ones are nice too though).

cprieto
07-31-2011, 5:11 AM
@@@@Blackhawk556
Thanks, I'm new to 1911s and it's always hard to keep up on who the OEMs are out there. If you have enough brand recognition you can slap your name on just about anything and up charge a nice profit.

wamphyri13
07-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Historically speaking, (not from history, but of history) the slide overhang will not be taken care of by Springfield. I have read many, many stories of this from the 1911forum. It is a cosmetic issue and does not effect function. Therefore, nothing will be done. It's not right in my eyes either, but I've learned to deal with it. I own several SA's. Both N and NM prefixed guns.
Ryan

Blackhawk556
07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
^^^^well that sucks. Thanks for the info. I have a question for you guys. What do you use to take care of the stainless steel finish? Anyone use wax our other stuff? Or do you guys prefer the brushed look over the shiny look?

Heiko
07-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Historically speaking, (not from history, but of history) the slide overhang will not be taken care of by Springfield. I have read many, many stories of this from the 1911forum. It is a cosmetic issue and does not effect function. Therefore, nothing will be done. It's not right in my eyes either, but I've learned to deal with it. I own several SA's. Both N and NM prefixed guns.
Ryan

Unfortunate.... I have read the same thing many times. I have an "underhang" on my Loaded Champion LW. I don't like the looks of it and while it functions just fine, I'd like it fixed. You can see it in the photo below. It's actually a bit worse in person. I have been contemplating sending it to SA for some custom work and asking them to fix that as a good will gesture while it's getting the other work done. I'm more recently thinking of paying a visit to Jim Hoag as an alternative.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/PNG_x5world/Radical%20Concepts%20Grips/rcgrips07.jpg

^^^^well that sucks. Thanks for the info. I have a question for you guys. What do you use to take care of the stainless steel finish? Anyone use wax our other stuff? Or do you guys prefer the brushed look over the shiny look?

Stainless finish? I don't do anything but wipe it down. On certain guns the shiny polished finish is nicer than other but I sure do like the satin look of a bead blasted finish on a stainless 1911.

Not my guns. :(

http://www.ottgunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1088930874_HkeyY-M.jpg

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/24591_20100702205146_1.jpg

http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/LB4.jpg