View Full Version : DSA SA 58 - CA Version

01-09-2007, 9:07 AM
I posted some questions regarding a DSA SA 58 carbine I purchased 11 days ago - picked it up last night - and wanted to close the loop so to speak on some of the info I received. Thanks to those who provided some guidance and information.

This isn't meant as a "legal review" of what should or should not be done, I just wanted to cover the mechanics of a few of the questions that came up. Being new to the FAL I'm happy to be corrected on any items below.

First, the 10 rd mag is not welded to the ejector block. Once the mag release is removed the 10 rd mag easily pops out alone. There is a small weld spot on the ejector block which prevents the mag release from pivoting to the rear. Remove this small weld, (its up an inch or so on the block) install a spring & the magazine & its release function normally.

The mag release has a small threaded hole in it. I don't know if this is typical but I do know it makes it easy to drop in the mag spring then use a headless allen screw as a plug. If you want to convert back to fixed mag you can remove the short allen screw (not supplied) and insert a long one thereby locking the mag in place. As mentioned in another thread, during that brief time of switching the rifle could accept a detachable mag, so no FH or pistol grip should be on it, I think.

Regarding removing or replacing the e-block - I chose to not give that a try. I did not use a power tool to remove the weld but instead chose a small metal file. Doing it that way took about 2 hrs of work and it's boring as heck, but I really didn't want to start punching out pins & e-blocks. I'd expect that if you removed the e-block that removing the weld it would take about 5 minutes with a small bastard file.

As an aside, an S & W 11 lb trigger rebound spring (minus a coil or 2) makes the trigger return much softer. Still very positive and complete, just a little easier to work with.

All in all I'm very happy with how things turned out - I was concerned I wouldn't be able to easily convert back & forth but that's not the case.

01-09-2007, 9:28 AM
Good summary.

Go out and shoot it.