PDA

View Full Version : Handguns...less is more?

Aluisious
01-09-2007, 7:51 AM
I just finished removing and selling my Crimson Trace grips from my Kimber TLE and replacing them first with spendy Alumagrips, and then stock Kimber grips.

Funny that the 10 dollar grips were more comfortable and less of a nonfunctioning nuisance than the other two, while costing a lot less.

Anyone else get the feeling that at least with handguns, "less is more?"

TannerBoyl
01-09-2007, 8:28 AM
While I've never owned a set of Crimson Trace grips, I do feel that less is more when it comes to pistols. I, generally, keep stock grips on my pistols. The only non-stock grips that I keep coming back to are the Hogue wraparound (for my Beretta 92FS and SIG P239).

Other than my unhealthy love of night sights, I keep my pistols stock. :D

OldWestGambler
01-09-2007, 9:00 AM
Yep, keeping my guns stock, too. I'm not going to add tons of cash into a gun that looks great already. Just be happy with it. I am pimping out my Sigma 9mm, but that's it. 1911's, Glocks, XD's all stay stock and beautiful.

cseabass
01-09-2007, 9:06 AM
while i agree for the most part, i LOATHE plastic guide rods.. they ALWAYS get replaced. and of course night sights. but other than that, they stay stock. (or get stock parts replaced with stock parts... IE glock slide releases with the 3mm extended ones.)

Miltiades
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Anyone else get the feeling that at least with handguns, "less is more?"

I have found that some handguns are just about perfect as they come from the maker, while others seem to benefit from some changes or add-ons.

The two brands that seem to require the least tinkering are Sig and H&K. On these brands, I tend to like the stock grips, sights, magazines, etc. better than any aftermarket items I have seen.

I have done more tinkering on Colt and Kimber 1911s, and S&W revolver grips. On one Colt 1911 I have replaced the grip panels, grip safety, slide stop, mainspring housing, trigger and magazines.

kap
01-09-2007, 10:42 AM
In general "yes" for all guns, but I just go with whatever works best. I went from having a stock Glock grip (gen 3) to a Hogue grip and love it. It just fits my hand way better.

laabstract
01-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Some guns defiantly need a little pimping out.
I have a S&W model 60 with stock grips it just was not very comfortable to shoot so I added some houge compact grips and the thing points so much better.

chickenfried
01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Only about 25% of my handguns have their original grips. The ones with aftermarket grips feel and look better compared to the stock grips. Well except for the rubber Hogues on my CZ, they look like crap.

rorschach
01-09-2007, 1:10 PM
I try to keep my pistols stock for the most part, but on 1911's I like Novak night sights, hex grip screws and Wilson 47 Delta mags. I like flat mainspring housings too, fortunately they are standard equipment now, save for GI-retro offerings.

Most of my grips are stock, save for the aforementioned Hogue condom on my USP, and Hogue grips on my Hi-Power and Springer Ultra Compact.

VeryCoolCat
01-09-2007, 1:14 PM
Unless you're trying to make you're handgun look TACTICOOL!

http://www.backcountryjournal.com/P8110008.jpg

Would you believe that gun is $9000?!

eckerph
01-09-2007, 3:28 PM
pimping out my Sigma 9mm,

you'll pimp out a sigma but wont put new grips on a 1911?:D Half the fun of owning guns is modifying them to our taste, just like cars or bikes.

NextTimeAround
01-09-2007, 6:16 PM
I'd say keep them stock.

zefflyn
01-09-2007, 7:57 PM
I change the grips to make them more comfortable, if necessary. Revolvers are a blessing in that regard, as the grip shape can be extensively changed. On my semi-autos, though, I don't do much. I've never even had night sights installed.

taloft
01-09-2007, 9:26 PM
VeryCoolCat, I demand that you return that firearm to the pimp from which it came.:D That thing takes bling to a whole new level.

I seldom modify my firearms. I tend to be a minimalist in this regard. Most modifications are for functional reasons. Comfort is important. If it isn't comfortable it won't get used. I don't make mods for looks. Not that I'm opposed to modifications solely for looks, some of the most beautiful works of art are custom engraved firearms. I just sit and think what all could I buy with $9000.00.....hmmmm.:cool: Then I get over it.

AJAX22
01-09-2007, 9:37 PM
firearms, like cars have a minimum amount that they cost to be functinal, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing. the cheaper the gun/car the more you'll have to spend to make it work or make it feel good, or make it pretty.

(I think for guns its around 600.. for cars its around 6k.. coincidence?...)