PDA

View Full Version : Barrel life span?

Quickbeam
07-27-2011, 1:14 PM
What do you guys think is the approximate lifespan of a gun barrel, excluding manufacturing defects and inappropriate ammo. With regular cleaning/oiling, of course.

Do you think this length of time might be affected by the duration of each shooting session, or purely round count? Like, will a hot gun be less affected by the stress of a fired round or more stressed?

I find that as I enjoy shooting more and more, I am afraid of wearing out my new(ish) Beretta.

CessnaDriver
07-27-2011, 1:20 PM
My guess is I think it's more about what you consider the accuracy necessary to be considered still useful over time.

It could degrade but to such a degree it's not a big deal.

How often do barrels truly fail from use?

Someone slap me into reality on this.

Quickbeam
07-27-2011, 1:23 PM
I am sure you are right that as the bore wears down incrementally, the accuracy would drop off. To be more pointed, I suppose my question is this, how long does it take for the accuracy to degrade to the point where it becomes a reliability issue?

Splinter
07-27-2011, 1:29 PM
Handguns have an insane lifespan. Rifle barrels that are cleaned regularly and shoot screaming rounds will degrade much sooner. I have seen range guns with 100k rounds through them still shooting fantastic. Dont think you will be hitting that anytime soon.

sammy
07-27-2011, 1:32 PM
You will not wear out the barrel. The frame will wear out quicker than the barrel. The highest roun count gun I own is a 1911 with about 16,000 rounds. Still super accurate, never had to replace a part except the springs. sammy

Dark Mod
07-27-2011, 1:36 PM
Lifespan in round count is probably well over 100k rounds. Im sure some of the berettas we used for training in the Corps had well over 300k. At 25 yards i doubt you will notice any innacuracy even if it is present. Most people will not shoot 100k rounds out of a gun in their lifetime.

If your shooting 9mm your gonna spend at LEAST $20,000 in ammo before you the barrel needs to be replaced. Plan on a replacement barrel costing about $300.

or to put it another way, 100 rounds at the range every single week will take you just over 19 years to wear out the barrell (could even be twice or three times that).

Just shoot the hell out of your gun, its meant to be enjoyed, the barrel wearing out is probably one of the last things you should worry about as a shooter.

MongooseV8
07-27-2011, 1:44 PM
You simply cant afford enough ammo to wear out a barrel.

And if you could, the cost would outweigh that of the firearm itself by many times ;)

Mr. Beretta
07-27-2011, 1:44 PM
My 1985 Beretta 92F barrel has at least 100,000 rds. down the tube.

Shoots good as ever.

oghl888
07-27-2011, 2:19 PM
quality of steel used to make the barrel matters a lot
temperature (operating) matters a lot, a barrel under rapid fire wears much faster
ammo type matters a lot, hot ammo/weak ammo, hard jacket/soft lead, etc. a 357 sig barrel will endure less rounds than a 45ACP in general, for example.
type of powder matters a lot, corrosive vs. non corrosive

It is not possible to generically say that a barrel will last x number of rounds. However, I do agree with the concept that if you can wear out a barrel, the replacement cost shouldn't matter because range time/ammo cost will dorf the barrel replacement cost.

diving_tbd
07-27-2011, 2:27 PM
I owned a Beretta with over 30,000 rounds on it (I bought it new), and it was still going fine when I sold it. In the Air Force, we had range guns for training that had something like 3 to 4 times what I put on my own.

You will wear out before the guns does.

Quickbeam
07-27-2011, 2:32 PM
Good to know, thanks everyone!

9mmepiphany
07-27-2011, 2:44 PM
I suppose my question is this, how long does it take for the accuracy to degrade to the point where it becomes a reliability issue?
This doesn't quite track for me, but it might just be me. How would degrading accuracy of a barrel affect it's reliability?

Did you mean, how many rounds would it take to make the accuracy unacceptable to reliably hit a target?

I think what you'll have to define what you consider acceptable accuracy. If the gun used to shoot 1.5",at 50 yards, when new, I wouldn't be too concerned if it degraded to 2" at that distance. But I'd be a lot more concerned it it opened up to 3"...which would be double what it started at.

My minimum acceptable accuracy would be 4" at 50 yards...but there are guns that won't do this when new

ParanoidCivilian
07-27-2011, 3:33 PM
I believe a novice shooter can expect a barrel to last at least a lifetime give or take a year.

rdmmdr
07-27-2011, 3:39 PM
Real hot rifle rounds will kill a match barrel in a couple of thousand in a 243. I have shoot out varment barrels in a summer. but most are still good for deer up to the 4000 count but after I hit 3 inch groups it is time to change. Backing off on the rounds helps alot and letting the barrels cool between strings. besided you can always rebarrel with a 308 and then never have to worry about the barrel again.

SuperSet
07-27-2011, 3:39 PM
Glock barrel going TU:
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2011/04/shot-out-glock-barrels.html?m=1

CK_32
07-27-2011, 3:41 PM
Heat is the enemy

resident-shooter
07-27-2011, 3:45 PM
With commercial ammo and regular clean ups (once per maybe 1000 shots) it will outlast your lower back ;)

Riodog
07-27-2011, 3:48 PM
This question comes up at least once a month so I'll be my usual rude self and just say, "Don't fricken worry about it", as there is not one person on this website that will wear out a pistol or revolver barrel in his or her lifetime.

Heat and erosion wear barrels. Normal use whether it be with lead, jacketed, rubber, etc., bullets don't make no matter.

A rifle is something different. Velocity is much higher which means that heat and erosion is more severe. This is something that might concern someone shooting a 220 Swift, 22 or 24 378 Wtby mag or any cartridge that may be considered 'overbore' (look it up if you don't know the term). Varmint hunters sometime encounter this when many shots are fired in a very short amount of time without letting the barrel cool between rounds.

The only others than should concern themselves with a barrel wearing out are people shooting machine guns. It's not the barrel that wears out but rather the "throat" that erodes. Heat and gases. Go to arfcon or any other machine gun site and pick their brains.

It would only be an issue here if someone were so stupid as to take and "dump 30-50 30 round mags as fast as their stoopid little fingers could work the controls.

JFYI, I've got a an 1978 Swenson Goldcup with upwards of 100,000 rds with an original Colt barrel that I'll match against anyone and a 75 S&W mod 29 with 30-40 thou rds that will do the job.

Don't believe all the BS that gets posted on this or any other site as it's just that, BS>
Rio

wlltest
07-27-2011, 3:51 PM
I'm glad someone mentioned barrels other than those on handguns :)

This question comes up at least once a month so I'll be my usual rude self and just say, "Don't fricken worry about it", as there is not one person on this website that will wear out a pistol or revolver barrel in his or her lifetime.

Heat and erosion wear barrels. Normal use whether it be with lead, jacketed, rubber, etc., bullets don't make no matter.

A rifle is something different. Velocity is much higher which means that heat and erosion is more severe. This is something that might concern someone shooting a 220 Swift, 22 or 24 378 Wtby mag or any cartridge that may be considered 'overbore' (look it up if you don't know the term). Varmint hunters sometime encounter this when many shots are fired in a very short amount of time without letting the barrel cool between rounds.

The only others than should concern themselves with a barrel wearing out are people shooting machine guns. It's not the barrel that wears out but rather the "throat" that erodes. Heat and gases. Go to arfcon or any other machine gun site and pick their brains.

It would only be an issue here if someone were so stupid as to take and "dump 30-50 30 round mags as fast as their stoopid little fingers could work the controls.

JFYI, I've got a an 1978 Swenson Goldcup with upwards of 100,000 rds with an original Colt barrel that I'll match against anyone and a 75 S&W mod 29 with 30-40 thou rds that will do the job.

Don't believe all the BS that gets posted on this or any other site as it's just that, BS>
Rio

Grinder
07-27-2011, 5:27 PM
For what it is worth I have a 92FS with well over 10,000 rounds that still shoots great.

BookerT
07-27-2011, 6:51 PM
One of the sigs at my local range has 50,000+ rds through it, original barrel still.

locosway
07-27-2011, 8:47 PM
What do you guys think is the approximate lifespan of a gun barrel, excluding manufacturing defects and inappropriate ammo. With regular cleaning/oiling, of course.

Do you think this length of time might be affected by the duration of each shooting session, or purely round count? Like, will a hot gun be less affected by the stress of a fired round or more stressed?

I find that as I enjoy shooting more and more, I am afraid of wearing out my new(ish) Beretta.

I doubt you'll ever shoot enough to wear out a handgun barrel. And if you do, a new one is $100 or so.