PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Law Enforcement On Private Property?

oldsmoboat
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I didn't get a ticket. :D I was just certified as a "Defensive Driving Instructor" and part of the literature I was given is an "FAQ" sheet and I'd like to conform a question/answer before I use the FAQ. The "generally" statement in the answer is throwing me off.

The private property is assumed to be a shopping center/mall.

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Q. Can you get a violation for running a stop sign in private parking lot?

A. You generally will only get a minor traffic violation in a private parking lot if there’s a sign that reads “patrolled by the police jurisdiction”. In a private parking lot, most traffic signs aren’t up to the vehicle codes specifications. However, if a traffic cop sees that you are running a stop sign and about to cause a collision then you may be cited because this could be viewed as reckless endangerment. Keep in mind, that when exiting a parking lot, make sure that you stop at the stop sign and adhere to the no right hand or left hand turn signs because these signs are generally up to the vehicle code.

JS89
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
If the owner of the property recognizes the vehicle code and allows for it to be enforced on the property, then any violation is fair game. There are however, a few laws that apply ANYWHERE in the state, such as DUI and hit and run.

oldsmoboat
07-27-2011, 2:34 PM
If the owner of the property recognizes the vehicle code and allows for it to be enforced on the property, then any violation is fair game. There are however, a few laws that apply ANYWHERE in the state, such as DUI and hit and run.
Thanks.
“patrolled by the police jurisdiction”
Is this how the mall owner recognizes it?

BigDogatPlay
07-27-2011, 6:51 PM
Sign posted at all entrances, black letters on a white background, that all VC sections are enforced on that private property is the standard. I see it at many local strip malls and larger malls.

There a good number of specific sections in the VC which authorize peace officers to enforce things such as disabled parking, vehicle registration, suspended or revoked licenses on private property. DUI, as noted above, is enforceable anywhere.

Far as I know, a citation issued on private property under authorization is going to carry the same weight as any other citation for the same violation on a public roadway.

Roddd
07-27-2011, 6:52 PM
Another misconception is a stop sign that leads to a public road from the parking lot. That one is citeable.

bill_k_lopez
07-27-2011, 6:55 PM
There a good number of specific sections in the VC which authorize peace officers to enforce things such as disabled parking, vehicle registration, suspended or revoked licenses on private property. DUI, as noted above, is enforceable anywhere.

Interesting...you know this for sure?

Just wondering - DUI while on my 40 acre property is enforceable?

Digital_Boy
07-27-2011, 6:58 PM
Tangental question: on private property does painted signage on the blacktop have the same validity and enforcability as a posted red octagonal stop sign? One mall nearby has a mixture, with the posted signs being on the corners at the intersections leading to the entrance/exit to the public road, and a "STOP" painted in white with a limit line on the blacktop everywhere else.

Digital_Boy
07-27-2011, 7:00 PM

I'd guess that a shopping mall parking lot falls into the "publically accessible private property" category, whereas your 40 acres is probably fenced/gated so that you need an invite to gain access.

bill_k_lopez
07-27-2011, 7:01 PM

Just looked it up myself.

Only if "the land is accessible to the public and is not within the immediate control of the owner"

Now I'm wondering what "within the immediate control of the owner" means...any ideas?

hitman13
07-27-2011, 7:08 PM
AZ = only DUI, hit and run, and handicap parking are enforceable on private property.

Fine with me, leaves more time for real police work :D

(in before all the traffic nazis)

BigDogatPlay
07-27-2011, 7:16 PM
Just looked it up myself.

Only if "the land is accessible to the public and is not within the immediate control of the owner"

Now I'm wondering what "within the immediate control of the owner" means...any ideas?

My understanding is that the owner has to control access; locked gates, security checkpoints etc. That sort of immediate control. There is case law around it. Brief overview here. (http://www.dui.com/dui-library/california/related/vehicle)

If someone is driving drunk on my 40 acres, I'm more than happy for the police to arrest them. I don't drive drunk so I think I'm safe.

Notorious
07-28-2011, 6:40 AM
If I was rich enough to own 40 acres in LA, I'd be drunk all the time on it.

psango
07-28-2011, 9:34 AM
If I was rich enough to own 40 acres in LA, I'd be drunk all the time on it.

This is the best response I've read! :)

chiselchst
07-28-2011, 3:09 PM
Another misconception is a stop sign that leads to a public road from the parking lot. That one is citeable.

FWIW...when I was a teen (decades ago [riding passenger]) we were cited for that...

oldsmoboat
07-28-2011, 3:09 PM
Thanks for the input/help.

Dr Pete
07-28-2011, 3:27 PM
Makes no sense.
If someone hits me in the mall parking lot & I call the police they WILL NOT respond.
Someone has to be injured for a response, just get insurance & info and carry on.

My guess is, it's about the money? :)

Ron-Solo
07-28-2011, 3:48 PM
Makes no sense.
If someone hits me in the mall parking lot & I call the police they WILL NOT respond.
Someone has to be injured for a response, just get insurance & info and carry on.

My guess is, it's about the money? :)

It varies by jurisdiction. A response or report is not required under many circumstances. My old department, LASD, responded and took reports in parking lots all the time when there was no injury. I know first hand, I took hundreds over the years.