PDA

View Full Version : Question about ROMY-G builds

drclark
01-08-2007, 9:58 PM
I'm just about finished with my AK build using a Romanian parts kit and have a few quick questions.

The rear-sight "range" adjustment seems to be stuck. It is currently in the position marked "P" at the end toward the rear of the sight. The "buttons" on each side appear to be frozen and do not want to depress or extend so I cannot slide the adjustment to any other position. When I sprayed with CLP a brown ooze seeped out. Is this an indication of being too gunked up with cosmoline? If so, what would be the best way to clean now that the rifle is assembled? Worst case, I just zero if for 200m using the sight position its stuck at. Or am I just being really dense and not doing something right?

Also, does the AK bolt/firing pin have the same issues with cosmoline that the SKS is known for? Currently, when I shake the bolt the pin will rattle but sometimes get stuck enough for me to have to tap it lightly with my finger to free it up again.

thanks,
drc

rorschach
01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I spray the parts real good with brake kleen, that seems to get all the cosmo out. Gasoline works ok too.

jumbopanda
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Mineral spirits work too. I think brake cleaner is the cheapest though.

gunrun45
01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
The best method I can find to get the cosmo out of bolt carriers and firing pin holes: get a soldering tourch (not anything too hot here) and heat the bolt or carrier gently with the tourch. Watch out, the cosmo will litteraly pour out of the parts when you heat it.

The soldering tourch doesn't produce wough heat to screw up any finsh that might be applied unless its some aftermarket job. It works great on bare pieces that you might gunkote later...

DV8
01-09-2007, 5:47 AM
Brake cleaner, heat then some more brake cleaner. Number of times depends on how much cosmo there is.

I have an old toaster oven that I "liberated" from the kitchen. Thats what I use in the garage to heat up the parts (placed in heat resistant containers).

You'll have an easier time cleaning the rear sight when removed. But its a pain to do though.

drclark
01-11-2007, 9:13 PM
Thanks to all to helped answer the questions I asked along the way. I was able to dis-assemble the sight and get the adjustment slider freed up. Also got the bold clean enough to hear the firing pin rattle easily by several cycles of heating and then dunking in mineral spirits.

Here is a picture of the finished product.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/drclark1/romyG/img_1006_resize.jpg

I do have one last question though. I think I might be having a problem with the mags I bought. The bottom of the bolt hangs up on the rear of the follower as shown in this picture.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/drclark1/romyG/img_1007_resize.jpg

Normally I wouldn't mind since this acts as a "hold open" after the last shot. However, I thought I read somewhere that this was not a standard feature of the AK47 with the exception of some Yugo models. I am also concerned that the bolt face is damaging the follower. The next picture shows the rear of the follower beginning to dent and peen after racking the bolt and letting the follower "catch" it a few times. I am worried that over time, this will affect feeding of the last round.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/drclark1/romyG/img_1012_resize.jpg

So, is this normal for a romy-G build or did I buy the wrong magazines? The magazines I bought are 10 rnd double stack mags.

Thanks again,
drc

ghost
01-11-2007, 9:34 PM
i want to build a ak with the romy g kit,but the kits i`ve seen have the forward verticle grip on them.i dont care too much about that front grip.where did you get that kit with no front grip from?did you just saw the grip off?thanks.

rssslvr
01-11-2007, 9:39 PM
From the pics that looks like one of the bolt hold open followers to me.

jumbopanda
01-11-2007, 9:40 PM
You have mags that were modified to hold the bolt back, its a good thing. :)

Charliegone
01-11-2007, 9:50 PM
You have mags that were modified to hold the bolt back, its a good thing. :)

True...let me guess cheaper than dirt?:D

morepoop4u
01-11-2007, 9:57 PM
i want to build a ak with the romy g kit,but the kits i`ve seen have the forward verticle grip on them.i dont care too much about that front grip.where did you get that kit with no front grip from?did you just saw the grip off?thanks.

new wood:D
http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=271

mblat
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Just take a saw to it. You have to refinish wood anyway....

PLINK
01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
One of my builds will have some of this wood.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

rorschach
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I dont like the vert foregrip either, so I plan to get a set of black plastic furniture from k-var. Counts as US made parts too.

drclark
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Got the mags from Coldwar Shooters along with the monsterman grip. Glad to hear the mags are OK.

I went for the budget build, so I used a bandsaw to cut the fore-grip off. Then sanded the original finish off using 60 then 150 grit sand paper and re-coated with boiled-linseed oil.

Thanks again. Can't wait to try it out. Anyone have any issues with OL-AK's at angeles range? I've had my AR's out there before with no problems.

drc

69Mach1
01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Got the mags from Coldwar Shooters along with the monsterman grip. Glad to hear the mags are OK.

I went for the budget build, so I used a bandsaw to cut the fore-grip off. Then sanded the original finish off using 60 then 150 grit sand paper and re-coated with boiled-linseed oil.

Thanks again. Can't wait to try it out. Anyone have any issues with OL-AK's at angeles range? I've had my AR's out there before with no problems.

drc

I was there last night with my AK's, and previous nights. They don't care as long as you don't shoot steel core, or rapid fire.

rssslvr
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I like to buy new US made wood for all of mine.These are the last 2 sets I got.One is NATO length and the other is standard length

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/favorate/AKMBGlaminatedstkset2lsv.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/favorate/AKMBGlaminatedstksetrsvpic3.jpg

Rivet
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
That is some nice looking wood! Does it have the hole drilled for the cleaning kit and cleaning rod?

rssslvr
01-11-2007, 11:20 PM
That is some nice looking wood! Does it have the hole drilled for the cleaning kit and cleaning rod?
Yes it sure does:)

PLINK
01-12-2007, 6:34 PM
I like to buy new US made wood for all of mine.These are the last 2 sets I got.One is NATO length and the other is standard length

I like. Where did you get that?

rssslvr
01-12-2007, 6:40 PM
I'll sent you a PM plink

SmokinGun
01-12-2007, 7:09 PM

You can saw them off and use a belt sander to shape it. I would recommed having some pix of a yugo or similar nearby to get the shape correct. You can also get the gripless lower handgaurd for about $10 if you look around.

thedrickel
01-12-2007, 7:17 PM
You can saw them off and use a belt sander to shape it. I would recommed having some pix of a yugo or similar nearby to get the shape correct. You can also get the gripless lower handgaurd for about $10 if you look around.

10$ for a lower handguard? I can only find them for 20-25. Got any links?

SmokinGun
01-13-2007, 7:17 PM
How does $5 sound?

http://www.ak47stuff.com/Sales/Sales_Detail.php?g=sales1158599827

Smokeybehr
01-13-2007, 9:06 PM
The best method I can find to get the cosmo out of bolt carriers and firing pin holes: get a soldering tourch (not anything too hot here) and heat the bolt or carrier gently with the tourch. Watch out, the cosmo will litteraly pour out of the parts when you heat it.

The soldering tourch doesn't produce wough heat to screw up any finsh that might be applied unless its some aftermarket job. It works great on bare pieces that you might gunkote later...

A heat gun used for removing paint would probably be a lot safer than an open flame like a torch. I've used the heat gun to get the cosmo liquid, then sopped it up with shop rags. After that, I used mineral spirits and acetone mixed 50/50 to finish cleaning the cosmo off. Next time I'll use brake cleaner or B-12 in a metal pan.

proraptor
01-14-2007, 9:14 AM
Im in the process of building my AK47 receiver as we speak....I just got done heat treating it....I cant wait!