PDA

View Full Version : Sig e2 grip install question

protoolsnerd
07-27-2011, 5:00 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a new P226 and i want to install the e2 grip kit that i have . I've only found one set of instructions on the web and they leave much to be desired .

Now it def is thorough but not exactly clear .

this is the set of instructions i have already so as to not get repeats :

http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf

All sig has is for removal of the grip not installation.

thanks

paladin4415
07-27-2011, 5:09 AM
The new grip just snaps in place. Push it in as you push it up under the slide lock and de-cocking lever.

Malmon
07-27-2011, 6:38 AM
Here's a link for installation and removal:
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/Modular%20One%20Piece%20Grip%20Removal%20&%20Installation.pdf

code33
07-27-2011, 7:46 AM
I did okay with the instructions. It would help further if you find instructions on detail stripping the frame.
The only thing I needed to do was use the removal tool to help pop grip in place.

rareair
07-27-2011, 12:16 PM
The new grip just snaps in place. Push it in as you push it up under the slide lock and de-cocking lever.

The E2 grip requires installation of the E2 compatible decocking lever & slide release controls. NOT just R&R a set of plastic grips :rolleyes:

protoolsnerd
07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
According to sig, you still need to replace the parts to use the grip correctly even if your gun is brand spanking new. That's what i figured. Really it's that decocker replacement that bugs me out with that spring. Hammer spring / decocker spring whatever it is .... not sure how to replace that part. The hammer spring and rod on the backstrap seem to be fairly easy.

so still no one with instructions.

the instructions from sig don't really help because it deals with installation and removal if you already have the grip

code33
07-27-2011, 2:07 PM
Search youtube. You may find a video on the decocking lever and spring.

On my P229, I reinstalled the old decocking lever after trying the new one. I like the size of the old one better. Fit without any interference with the E2 grip.

According to sig, you still need to replace the parts to use the grip correctly even if your gun is brand spanking new. That's what i figured. Really it's that decocker replacement that bugs me out with that spring. Hammer spring / decocker spring whatever it is .... not sure how to replace that part. The hammer spring and rod on the backstrap seem to be fairly easy.

so still no one with instructions.

the instructions from sig don't really help because it deals with installation and removal if you already have the grip

9mmepiphany
07-27-2011, 2:17 PM
Really it's that decocker replacement that bugs me out with that spring. Hammer spring / decocker spring whatever it is .... not sure how to replace that part. The hammer spring and rod on the backstrap seem to be fairly easy.

Did you even read through the instructions that you posted? They seem pretty clear and I'm not understanding which portion is confusing you...the de-cocker replacement couldn't be much simpler. With the grips off, you unhook the decocker spring from the decocker and install the new decocker before replacing the spring as you found it.

According to sig, you still need to replace the parts to use the grip correctly even if your gun is brand spanking new.
That you find this less than obvious and the random way you refer to parts is a bit troubling. The hammer spring and the decocking spring are two separate parts and pretty hard to confuse as they look completely different. That rod contained in the backstrap is the mainspring strut...as it holds the mainspring.

Perhaps you should get the Armorer's DVD to understand how the Sig is disassembled and study the names of the parts involved to both ask accurate questions and understand the answers. Another route to follow would be to take this to a Sig Armorer to have installed...remember that if you create a problem while installing this, that you have voided the warranty

rareair
07-27-2011, 8:28 PM
Visit www.midwayusa.com The currently have a "R&Ring the SIG Auto Pistols" in DVD for $10.26 I have the DVD and is very informative & helpful when working on your P-series pistols (P220, P226, P228 & P229).
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=111696

Verboten
07-28-2011, 1:56 AM
Actually you don't need to replace the decocking lever and especially don't try to remove the slide stop if you're not sure how. It requires disassembly of the trigger group and it's pretty tricky for the inexperienced. The difference is only the shortened lever face and it's only aesthetic. In fact, some of the earlier E2 kits carried the regular decocking levers and I have seen some of the actual E2 pistols with the regular decocking lever.

The trickiest part will be removal of the E2 grips. I have never been able to remove the grip with just the tool alone. Basically I use the tool to pry one side off the frame enough to wedge a qtip between the frame and grip. Then rotate the tool the opposite way to pop the other side of the grip. I know that's not the info you're looking for but this info may come in handy later on.

When you install the grip, don't go from the bottom up. Follow the instructions and go from the rear to forward. Going from the bottom can cause the decocker spring to release and seriously scratch the hell out of your brand new grips. Also make sure that the trigger bar spring (other side) is still secure. Firing and test firing the pistol with a poorly installed trigger bar spring will cause damage to the frame.

Good luck and hope you like your new grips.

unltd
07-28-2011, 2:11 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a new P226 and i want to install the e2 grip kit that i have . I've only found one set of instructions on the web and they leave much to be desired .

Now it def is thorough but not exactly clear .

this is the set of instructions i have already so as to not get repeats :

http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf

All sig has is for removal of the grip not installation.

thanks

Those instructions are pretty good. I used them to install my e2 grips, and I'm no armorer or tinkerer. It may seem hard, but it is actually super easy. The hardest part is compressing the hammer spring and seating the strut, which may take a few tries to do it right, but it really is simple. The grips make the gun 100x more comfortable, imho.

Also, when I installed the grip I had a little gap on the sides, so I took a rubber mallet and gave each side a few gentle taps and it sort of finished snapping into place. You may have the same issue, but the mallet is the cure :)

protoolsnerd
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=9mmepiphany;6850628]Did you even read through the instructions that you posted? They seem pretty clear and I'm not understanding which portion is confusing you...the de-cocker replacement couldn't be much simpler. With the grips off, you unhook the decocker spring from the decocker and install the new decocker before replacing the spring as you found it.

That you find this less than obvious and the random way you refer to parts is a bit troubling. The hammer spring and the decocking spring are two separate parts and pretty hard to confuse as they look completely different. That rod contained in the backstrap is the mainspring strut...as it holds the mainspring.

I appreciate the information sir. Being that i'm completely inexperienced with sigs and that this is my first sig all those things are true, but shouldn't trouble you in the least. This was my second step after finding the manual online talking to someone at sig.

Mostly i just wanted other information or videos to inspect before i did anything . Really i wanted to see it all done before going with instructions that were mostly text based in nature with a few pics interspersed .

As the obviousness of the need to replace certain parts, if you read up someone stated that it could just be snapped on. I didn't think so , so i called sig and they confirmed.

So worry not my concerned friend

protoolsnerd
07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Verboten;6854454]Actually you don't need to replace the decocking lever and especially don't try to remove the slide stop if you're not sure how. It requires disassembly of the trigger group and it's pretty tricky for the inexperienced. The difference is only the shortened lever face and it's only aesthetic. In fact, some of the earlier E2 kits carried the regular decocking levers and I have seen some of the actual E2 pistols with the regular decocking lever.

I think that's what a previous poster was referring to. Right now i'm toying with some hogue grips. Not sure if i want the thinner profile with the new grip i'm trying out . But , i'll prob end up getting the aforementioned sig armorer dvd.

protoolsnerd
07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Those instructions are pretty good. I used them to install my e2 grips, and I'm no armorer or tinkerer. It may seem hard, but it is actually super easy. The hardest part is compressing the hammer spring and seating the strut, which may take a few tries to do it right, but it really is simple. The grips make the gun 100x more comfortable, imho.

Also, when I installed the grip I had a little gap on the sides, so I took a rubber mallet and gave each side a few gentle taps and it sort of finished snapping into place. You may have the same issue, but the mallet is the cure :)

Thanks i have just the nice little rubber mallet for such a job.