PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&Pc vs XDc vs Glock 26?

Shiloh13
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I am looking for a new concealed carry / home / vehicle defense pistol for all around use. I am considering the three listed above in 9mm. I like the 9mm for lighter weight and a more surgical controllability over the larger calibers.

I am familiar with the G26, and I like it but it is a little big grip wise for my hand. I like the build of the S&W, and the full grip / compact grip option of the Springfield XD. I will rent and shoot them all at the local range, but I am looking for overall opinions on each of the options.

For the record, a Ruger LCR is next in line after this purchase as a quick "throw in the pocket" option, but I want more rounds for this purchase.

What say you.

If you have experience with these pistols, or just opinions, let me know.

jhaselton
07-26-2011, 10:22 PM
:lurk5:

Ron-Solo
07-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I have the M&P 9c and it love it. It will take the 17 rd mags from my full size. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I also have the Ruger LC9, which I also love.

I don't have any experience with the Springfield, so no comment on that one. The Glock is also a nice choice.

Ackrite
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I've shot all three but in 40. You can't go wrong with whichever you choose. If I was to go a different route than what I have, it would be the M&P. However, I am what one would consider a Glock Fanboy, so my vote is for the Glock.

mif_slim
07-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Anyone, although I have to say the xd40c is fat IMO and wouldn't carry that as a ccw. I think I would rather look into LC9 or kahr pm9 since their thinner but, it all depends on what you wear etc etc. Of the 3 you mention, I would go glock 26, m&p, XD. In that order.

Ultimate
07-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I've shot the glock and the XD. I prefer the XD.

It's trigger is single action and in my opinion much more crisp than the glock though it comes a little heavy from the factory. Put some new springs on it and enjoy.

Ksmash01
07-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I can use full size mags in my M&P9c.

If you're that torn, get em all(or just go shoot em) and pick the one you like best.

Cheers.

integraracer157
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I went through this about six months ago. i searched every review, i found a local indoor range that had all three models including the Ruger SR40. I was told by everyone to go XD. Others said Glock. I had my heart on the SR40. But I rented them at the indoor range, shot them all. and it was love at first shot with the G23. It started as my least fav. Now i have the Glock addiction. I bought a G23, Wife bought me a G19. and am looking into the competition full size 45 after i finish my wife's AR build next month. I had 3 failure to feeds with the SR40.

What i learned is if you can, go to a range that rents guns and try them, You can take other peoples word, but its your life your protecting and you should choose reliable, and what fits you comfortably.

Best of luck and keep us posted what you get.

ironcross
07-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, to each to their own.

I've shot the .40 baby and it was okay. I rather shoot my G22.

It's basically whatever works for you and you alone.

zfields
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
XD grip is very fat, just an FYI.

Love how they shoot, but harder to conceal IMO.

JanG
07-27-2011, 1:16 AM
to throw a wrench in your gears, have you considered the ruger sr9c? i've shot a friends full size sr9 and its 2nd to my m&p as far as ergonomics.

Shiloh13
07-27-2011, 9:58 AM
Thanks to everyone.

As mentioned above, I do intend to shoot each before buying. I am just making sure there are no unknown to me issues on any of these pistols. Things like being ammo picky, problematic malfunctions, unusually poor accuracy, durability, etc. Concealed carry is also in a very limited,but necessary capacity.

I had an XD compact many years ago - pre melonite finish - and it rusted like an old plow. Sold it because of that. Shot well though.

I have a G17, and have shot all 9mm Glocks in GSSF matches. But for defense, the grip is a little big. I need to be able to really settle my hand in to shoot it accurately.

The Ruger feels ok, just not as refined or polished as the other three. The trigger seems hit or miss as well.

I do like the Kahr as well, but with them I start giving up on number of rounds and the price is higher.

I appreciate all input.
Thanks.

Swift Justice
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I carry a G26 everyday, I also own a G17 which I carry when I can. At first it was kind of hard to get used to the short grip of the 26, but now I shoot it nearly as well as I do the 17 at self defense ranges. I carry the 26 with the standard mag and one of my pre-ban G17 mags as a spare - 28 rounds should solve most problems I come across.

I also owned an LCR and was going to add it onto my CCW, but I sold it soon after buying it. I really wanted to like it; nice, light, well made, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with anything but target load wadcutters and its painful to shoot after about 50 rounds. Hats off to the guys who can (or say then can) hit something with regular or +P ammo.

The LCR is roughly about the same size as a G26, so its a little too big to throw into a pocket, unless you have big, deep pockets.

For me it was Glock 26 uber alles.

DaveFJ80
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks to everyone.

I have a G17, and have shot all 9mm Glocks in GSSF matches. But for defense, the grip is a little big. I need to be able to really settle my hand in to shoot it accurately.

That alone is one of the main reasons why I would go with a G26, as the full size mags are interchangeable with the sub-compact version. If you had a full size XD or a full size M&P, I would have said the same about the sub-compact version of that same gun, in the same caliber.

But besides that, there are also other things to consider like the overall feel of the gun and how it shoots for you. To me, the G26 shoots well for me and I can use my pre-ban G19 & G17 mags in it.

Shoot all 3 sub-compact guns and then decide from there. However, it's always nice to have the same manufacturer gun in the same caliber, as a lot of parts are interchangable between the guns.

integraracer157
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Op mentioned picky ammo, So sounds like Glock for sure, the reason Glocks have a looser chamber is so it will feed any round variation. Ive shot every brand threw my glock, it shoots them all, some don't group like others, but will shoot and function. I shoot mostly reloads, rarely buy ammo. and never had a problem ever. But shoot them all. i would use any ruger sr series as last resort. there P series were great. love the p95 decock only, so if you pull it its never on safety. just decocked. Allot of raves about the new Beretta px4, But look at barrel specs. its chamber and rifling is same as Glock. A gun shop once told me, he wasn't a Glock fan. But the fact that others in its category are always comparing, mentioning Glock like there holding it as the standard to compete with. And fact most le agencies use it. Tells you something.

mif_slim
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
That alone is one of the main reasons why I would go with a G26, as the full size mags are interchangeable with the sub-compact version.

Well, the XD full size mages are interchangeable to the compact too, but like I said earlier, I wouldnt carry a XDc..too fat for my style of clothing.

Festus
07-27-2011, 1:00 PM
I have fired the M&P 9c and really like it. Wish I could find one locally! I'm picking up my Glock 26 this Friday, so I'll know more about that after this weekend. I have a G19 and like that gun quite a bit, so I don't imagine it'll take much to get used to the G26.

edgalang
07-27-2011, 2:22 PM
I am looking for a new concealed carry / home / vehicle defense pistol for all around use. I am considering the three listed above in 9mm. I like the 9mm for lighter weight and a more surgical controllability over the larger calibers.
If you have experience with these pistols, or just opinions, let me know.

Hi there,

I was in the EXACT same situation a few months ago. At the time my front runners were a little different than yours [CZ 2075 RAMMI], [S&W M&P 9c], & [Ruger SR9c]. I didn't want a Glock or an XD since my friends already had em and I wanted to try something different (I have the same mentality with owning cars too). Anyhow, it took me months to decide and a few trips to the range to determine the Ruger SR9c was for me. In stock form, the SR9c trigger felt best and provided me with the smallest groupings even with the limited experience.

From your list however, you can't really go wrong. BUT...maybe I can help persuade why you should put the SR9c on that list as well (at least shoot it).

The Ruger SR9c was specifically designed for 10 rounds and from your list, also has the smallest grip circumference (better concealability for CCW?). Also, living in CA, you are limited to 10-round magazines. It annoys me knowing I have a firearm designed for more, but due to politics, I now have a partially empty magazine. To me this is a waste of space (even if you are only loosing 2-3 rounds). With that space, I could of gone with a higher caliber pistol instead. For non-CA owners, there's also the 17 round extended mag option.

The Ruger SR9c is made in America. Ideologically this may or may not matter, but if for whatever reason you need to send it back to the factory, the turn around time can be fairly quick (Ruger = Arizona).

The Ruger SR9c is based on a robust design (Glock) but put in better packaging (IMO...better ergonomics). Take the schematics of a G19 and and compare (although I am envious of the Glock/XD/M&P not requiring a removable take down pin...1 less part to drop/loose during a field strip).

The Ruger SR9c is fully ambidextrous. Are you left handed? As long as you don't use the slide stop as a release, no problem.

The Ruger SR9c is suppose to have equal recoil of a full size pistol due to the new double recoil springs (similar concept as Glock Gen 4 double springs).

The Ruger SR9c has a manual safety. This may or may not matter to you, but for me, it's just an added piece of mind in case I ever carry it with a round in the chamber.

The Ruger SR9c has a magazine disconnect that's easy to remove/install. Again this may or may not matter, but it's nice to have an option to remove/install this piece without tools (except maybe a paperclip).

The Ruger SR9c won handgun of the year for 2010. It can't suck that bad if it won right?

Either way, best of luck deciding.

-EDG-

DaveFJ80
07-27-2011, 2:45 PM
Not sure where the OP is located at, but if he's in the SGV area then I'll be at LPFR this evening breaking in my new Gen 3 G26 and new Gen 4 G19 (and letting another Calgunner try out my GSG 1911). You can stop by and check them out so you don't have to pay any rental fees.

luckygunner
07-27-2011, 3:32 PM
Your best bet would be to go to a range and rent all three. Shoot 50-100 rounds through it and the one you prefer the most is the one you should purchase.

There isn't much difference between the major manufacturers polymer pistols.

biker777
07-27-2011, 3:37 PM
G26/:iagree:

Shiloh13
07-27-2011, 5:26 PM
Thanks again to all that replied.

As stated, I will try all.... Ok.... Even the Ruger.

Thanks to DaveFJ80 for the kind offer. I am up in northern CA so no such luck.

I do have a range nearby with all options to rent, and it looks like I won't go wrong in any case. I will let feel and comfort make the decision for me.

Thanks again.

DaveFJ80
07-27-2011, 8:52 PM

I will say this.... I was all set on just selling my G26 (unfired and new) and getting something else small (G36), but after tonight I'm keeping the G26.

The G36 was cool to shoot and nice to hold, but the G26 felt like butter in my hands as it was so easy to control, aim, and shoot. Felt very similar to my G19's I was also shooting tonight. The recoil was very light, and almost easier to control than my G19's (both Gen 3 and Gen 4).

I'm keeping my G26 and I can't wait to put more rounds through it :). But going back to your original question, get whatever works best for you.

d_c_mar
08-07-2011, 5:18 AM
I'll throw in my $0.02. I looked at and fired quite a few concealed carry guns. The one that had the best combination of weight, ergonomics, and controllability was the PM9/CW9 by Kahr (at least for my relatively small hands). I have since fired 300+ rounds out of it and I smile bigger each time. I chose the CW9. The sights aren't as fancy, and it has cut rifling as opposed to polygonal on the PM9, but it's a bit cheaper. With carry guns, the best carry gun is the one you've got on you when you need it. The heavier and less comfortable it is, the less likely you are to carry it all the time. 7+1 is plenty for me. You can always carry another mag if you think you're gonna get into a TV-style shoot-out.

den888
08-07-2011, 6:17 AM
Love my G26, very reliable and accurate. Have not fired the others.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
08-07-2011, 6:34 AM
m&p9c

fullrearview
08-07-2011, 7:19 AM
XD grip is very fat, just an FYI.

Love how they shoot, but harder to conceal IMO.

:confused:

You talking about the XD sub compact, or the XDM compact? Two completely different guns.

To the OP... I conceal a XDM 3.8 full size grip just fine... Even with my shirt tucked in.

G60
08-07-2011, 9:15 AM
I've owned an xd, shot a glock, and currently own two m&p's, a fullsize and compact.

The only thing the xd has going for it is the out of the box trigger.

M&p and glock both have terrible triggers. The m&p is gritty with no detectable reset, and a heavy break.
The glock feels like the trigger group is made of 50 grit sandpaper rubbing together but they do have a nice reset.

I really wanted to like the glock because trigger problems are easy to fix, but being left handed with small hands counts the glock out.

Ksmash01
08-07-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks again to all that replied.

As stated, I will try all.... Ok.... Even the Ruger.

I do have a range nearby with all options to rent, and it looks like I won't go wrong in any case. I will let feel and comfort make the decision for me.

Thanks again.

Where in NorCal are you? I'd let you shoot my M&P9c with Apex DCAEK and RAM if you're close.

The Apex kit is the deal breaker for M&Ps vs everything else. Without it, it's still a good pistol, but together "They'rrrre GRRRRRREEEAAAAAT!!!!!!"(Tony the Tiger voice).

I still have one stock M&P, so you could also see the difference, although my FS M&P9(Early model) had a much better out of the box trigger than my 9L and 9c(bought this year).

I've owned an xd, shot a glock, and currently own two m&p's, a fullsize and compact.

The only thing the xd has going for it is the out of the box trigger.

M&p and glock both have terrible triggers. The m&p is gritty with no detectable reset, and a heavy break.
The glock feels like the trigger group is made of 50 grit sandpaper rubbing together but they do have a nice reset.

I really wanted to like the glock because trigger problems are easy to fix, but being left handed with small hands counts the glock out.

It sounds like someone needs a DCAEK and RAM...they really are easy to install.

rabidmonkey
08-20-2011, 6:12 PM
Shoot them all to get the feel. In my opinion, go with Glock. Basic with little moving parts, easy to armor if something breaks, and is one of the best selling in the market today.

I went through this decision for awhile now, and always lead to glock.

XD is a great gun, and when I first got it, it shot very accurately, but I felt the trigger get a little mushy after I put a few more rounds, and I hate all the safety features it had. Wasn't a bad gun, but wasn't great either.

I have an M&P 40 now. I consider this one like holding a Sig, but like many owners, we have to modify the gun a lot to get it to where we like it. For one, the texture is very slick. Stippling or Grip tape is a must. The trigger is an issue as well, for it is hard to point out the trigger reset. APEX makes great products out there for the M&P, but for the additional cost, smith and wesson should make these design flaws standard. Also, I hate the take down procedures with the extra lever and the magazine disconnect.

Glock has its flaws too, but for me, it was how blocky it feels. The angle of the glock is a hit and miss for some as well. If you shoot revolvers a lot, the Glock is for you, although if you are into 1911 (big fan of the 1911), the XD and M&P are angled in this way. If you are ever at the range/store, close your eye and point the weapon at a safe direction, then open your eyes. If you are on target with sights align, you got your weapon. If you are not, but like it anyway, practice.

Good luck in your choice.

Shenaniguns
08-20-2011, 6:31 PM
I carry a 9c everyday but would carry a G26 if i didnt standardize on the M&P platform.

CK_32
08-20-2011, 6:35 PM
Nothing we say will be of half of use as if you go and shoot them. Go shoot them and you tell us.

I say either xd or glock. Never shot an m&p I like flock for it's reliability record and simplicity. Xd is a good gun just not a fan. I say glock but I'm a Jesuit biased glock fan so take what you may.

Like I said go shoo them and tell us what you think. That's how I became a glock fan and figured I wanted a 17. So I'm not a fan because I bought one and want to justify it. I bought one because I am a fan.

Oceanbob
08-20-2011, 7:49 PM
G26...runs and runs and runs.

Will take preban G19 (15 round) mags, preban G17 (17 round) mags and even the G 18 (33 round stick) :D

So reliable you can go swimming with it ;)

http://i54.tinypic.com/23ix7hc.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rcsrkg.jpg

xxxx
08-20-2011, 9:04 PM
I will give you my .02 - it really depends on your body type. If you are a slender guy nothing double stack will fit you too well. If you try to conceal a G19 vs a G26 they will both conceal pretty much the same, the thickness is what really gets you. But the G26 you don't have a full grip or a rail. If your serious about concealed carry I think single stack is the best way to go. The only reason I see going with a G26 over a G19 for concealed carry is if you plan on carrying it on your ankle. I have owned both. Thickness and weight are much more important than length (that's what she said).

l8apex
08-20-2011, 9:09 PM
I have a G17, and have shot all 9mm Glocks in GSSF matches. But for defense, the grip is a little big.

As Dave already stated, here is your answer. G26. Go with what is the same manual of arms and what you are already proficient with.

Kodemonkey
08-20-2011, 9:10 PM
I use a M&Pc in 40 for IDPA compact division. It feeds everything-it's been 100% reliable for me. I recently put in an apex kit for the trigger and it's a very nice shooter. It's my get home gun and what I keep at the office. Pretty comfortable to carry as well.

spmat
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I carry the SW M&P 40c. Very Reliable, comfortable in the hand. Shoots great with Apex kit.

timmyb21
10-05-2011, 1:24 PM
I've shot all three, and of the three, I bought the M&P. My wife picked the XD9c. She just liked the two tone! I was torn between the M&P and the Glock, but the grip on the M&P was way more comfortable, especially with the correct backstrap. Aftermarket for the Smith isn't quite what the Glock is but it's catching up.

Shenaniguns
10-05-2011, 1:48 PM
I've shot all three, and of the three, I bought the M&P. My wife picked the XD9c. She just liked the two tone! I was torn between the M&P and the Glock, but the grip on the M&P was way more comfortable, especially with the correct backstrap. Aftermarket for the Smith isn't quite what the Glock is but it's catching up.

What are you looking for aftermarket wise for the M&P?
Quality >>>> Quantity

timmyb21
10-05-2011, 3:09 PM
What are you looking for aftermarket wise for the M&P?
Quality >>>> Quantity
At this point, nothing. It's fine the way it is. Some other people like to add all kinds of doohickies to their guns. Glock has more available doohickies.

RollingCode3
10-05-2011, 3:15 PM
I have shot all 3. Dont like the XD subcompact. G26 for the win. M&P9c comes in second place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1124.jpg

WW2Buff
10-05-2011, 3:53 PM
The M&Pc is the only compact I would buy. I'm not a compact guy but have shot the .40c quite a few times and have been really surprised of how well I shot with it and how nice it handled and felt. It all comes down to your taste but I would definitely take a serious look at the S&W.

Legasat
10-05-2011, 7:13 PM
I shot all 3 when I was looking, plus a few others.

For me, it was an easy choice: M&P9c

Very comfortable, solid reliability, accurate. Almost 2000 rnds down the pipe, and no problems.

davbog44
10-06-2011, 4:36 AM
Really, among the 3 you mentioned, it's like asking what's better between Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios. In terms of quality, reliability and accuracy, those three are about as equal as you can get, so it really will come down to to which you like / shoot best when you try them out.

The right one for you will let you know.

SDM44
10-06-2011, 5:52 AM
I have a G26, and my good friend has a XD9C. Even though they're close to the same size, the XD just look and feels so much more bulky around the grip and the width & height of the slide.

Me personally, I have better control over the G26 due to the grip angle, since it allows my hands to be up higher and at a better angle to absorb the recoil into my arms better than the XD9C.

zfields
10-06-2011, 5:55 AM
Really, among the 3 you mentioned, it's like asking what's better between Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios. In terms of quality, reliability and accuracy, those three are about as equal as you can get, so it really will come down to to which you like / shoot best when you try them out.

The right one for you will let you know.

Frosted cheerios suck. They must be the glocks in you analogy :p