PDA

View Full Version : ? Buying Glock frame without slide. ?

DannyInSoCal
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Since I shoot my G21 with the 50GI slide and mags -

I've got the .45 slide and mags.

There are a few bare G21/G20 frames for sale without slides -

So for a few hundred bucks I could have another sidearm.

What are the legalities of buying and having one shipped to CA...?

Would the FFL allow me to install the slide for the DROS...?

Do I have to ship the slide to have it installed before it's shipped...?

Or is this a non-issue...?

Thanx, DISCo

RoundEye
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
If pistols are anything like rifles, than it's the lower receiver or frame that is considered thr firearm, and requires the 10 day wait and background check.

I would like to believe that you will not have any problems, but it might be at the FFLs discretion.

rromeo
07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
A pistol frame is a firearm. A pistol frame is also a handgun that is not roster compliant. Yes, even if the complete pistol is on the roster.

DannyInSoCal
07-26-2011, 10:45 PM
A pistol frame is a firearm. A pistol frame is also a handgun that is not roster compliant. Yes, even if the complete pistol is on the roster.

So I'd have to ship the seller my slide and have them ship it to my FFL as a complete pistol - Correct...?

rromeo
07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes.

MA2
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
^^Yep that will work, in that case it has to be the CA approved model.

The same reason we can not buy 1911 frames only.
Cant pass the safe handling test with only a frame???

I guess you can ask a type-7 FFL(allowed to manufacturer)<-putting that slide on a incomplete frame...think, along the terms of our single shot conversions :)

Probably more cost effective (don't forget the out of state transfer fees most FFL charge) going the the other way of buying another G20/21, then selling the slide.

good luck

S dot
07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Probably more cost effective (don't forget the out of state transfer fees most FFL charge) going the the other way of buying another G20/21, then selling the slide.

This is what I was thinking too when i read the OP

HighLander51
07-27-2011, 5:43 AM
So I'd have to ship the seller my slide and have them ship it to my FFL as a complete pistol - Correct...?

No, I just bought a G17 frame off GunBroker from South Carolina. The guy shipped the frame to my FFL, but I had to bring an extra slide assembly to my guy so it could be DROS'd as a complete gun.

Oceanbob
07-27-2011, 6:59 AM
Danny.....I bought a GLOCK 20 off of a man on the GLOCKTALK.COM classifieds, who lived in Arizona. I had him send me the Upper/spare barrels/ etc to my house here in Orange County. And he had his FFL shipped the FRAME in the glock box to ON TARGET in Laguna Niguel.

After the frame arrived I went to ON TARGET and did the DROS. I brought the slide with me and assembled the Glock.

You should have no problem.

(I know GLOCKMEISTER will ship you a frame to ON TARGET for instance)

Bob

spdrcr
07-28-2011, 6:02 PM
No, I just bought a G17 frame off GunBroker from South Carolina. The guy shipped the frame to my FFL, but I had to bring an extra slide assembly to my guy so it could be DROS'd as a complete gun.

Danny.....I bought a GLOCK 20 off of a man on the GLOCKTALK.COM classifieds, who lived in Arizona. I had him send me the Upper/spare barrels/ etc to my house here in Orange County. And he had his FFL shipped the FRAME in the glock box to ON TARGET in Laguna Niguel.

After the frame arrived I went to ON TARGET and did the DROS. I brought the slide with me and assembled the Glock.

You should have no problem.

(I know GLOCKMEISTER will ship you a frame to ON TARGET for instance)

Bob

Anyone know an FFL in NorCal (San Jose area) that would do this?

I contacted Valkyrie Arms but they said they would charge $100 and have to mark the receiver because it's considered manufacturing.