PDA

View Full Version : is VC 5200 still a "fix-it" ticket?

gotime
07-26-2011, 6:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it varies by city or county, any CHP want to chime in and enlighten me? Thanks.

Ron-Solo
07-26-2011, 7:59 PM
Generally, yes.

JS89
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Depends on what the officer decided to do. All the information is on your citation.

tyrist
07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
It should say on the citation whether it was made fixable or not.

Notorious
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
It is fix it by default but the officer has discretion to check the non-correctable box on the cite if he feels that it is pointless to continue to give fix its because of your violation history, i.e. repeated offenses for the same fix it provision.

ironcross
07-27-2011, 1:15 AM
Generally, yes.

It is fix it by default but the officer has discretion to check the non-correctable box on the cite if he feels that it is pointless to continue to give fix its because of your violation history, i.e. repeated offenses for the same fix it provision.

+200

It's a dynamic situation.

First offense you would be required to go to the station that issued it from and have them sign/stamp it correcting it if an 'Fix-It-Ticket'. That costs around 10-25 dollars.

wrestlingnrj
07-27-2011, 7:19 AM
What would be the legality of having it clearly displayed in the front windshield? I see people doing this all the time and they receive fix-it's for it, but I cannot find in the VC where it states that it must be attached to the bumper, only that they be attached to the front and rear.

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2011, 8:21 AM
Someday I really need to put front plates on my Landrover and my Power Wagon. The problem is that the damn plates block my winch access on both vehicles.

code33
07-27-2011, 8:53 AM
Section 5201 Positioning of Plates
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

What would be the legality of having it clearly displayed in the front windshield? I see people doing this all the time and they receive fix-it's for it, but I cannot find in the VC where it states that it must be attached to the bumper, only that they be attached to the front and rear.

Packy14
07-27-2011, 9:29 AM
In my 16+ years of driving, my cars have had front plates for about 1 year total. I've gotten 1 fix it ticket about 12 years ago. Guess I've been lucky, I just hate how they look. I also hate the camera's at red lights, given that most are run by private for-profit contracted companies that get a large % of all $ collected. I'll continue to take my chances.

mej16489
07-27-2011, 1:52 PM

Typically that wouldn't qualify as 'attached' per VC 5201 (See Code33's link)

Notorious
07-27-2011, 3:27 PM
The provisions require the plate to be securely attached to the front no more than 24" off the ground and just wedging it in the windshield. The first time you get in a car accident and the plate flies off and cuts your head in half, you'll realize the plate is not securely fastened.

mej16489
07-27-2011, 4:56 PM
The provisions require the plate to be securely attached to the front no more than 24" off the ground

I see rear plate height minimums of 12"
Maximums for front and rear of 60"
Higher limits are available for the rear on certain vehicles

Where is the 24" front plate max listed?

The first time you get in a car accident and the plate flies off and cuts your head in half, you'll realize the plate is not securely fastened.

This is the real problem, but I always figured anyone dumb enough to throw a sheet of metal loose on the dashboard might be helping society the most by experiencing the mishap you describe :)

Notorious
07-28-2011, 12:14 AM
The 24" requirement is in subsection 3, subclause (a), sub (ii), in the footnotes and legislative appendices of the historical debates.

In other words... I made it up. I forgot and remembered it was some multiple of 12 and just threw out 24 instead of 12... need to brush up on my CVC since I don't work traffic as my primary duty.

wrestlingnrj
07-28-2011, 2:32 PM
Well, now I know, thanks for education and links. Just saw a car parked at my office that had his front plate zip tied to his sun visor. I guess people will try anything.

mej16489
07-28-2011, 4:43 PM
The 24" requirement is in subsection 3, subclause (a), sub (ii), in the footnotes and legislative appendices of the historical debates.

In other words... I made it up. I forgot and remembered it was some multiple of 12 and just threw out 24 instead of 12... need to brush up on my CVC since I don't work traffic as my primary duty.

Egads, don't do that, someone might get the idea you actually want to work traffic. :)

Notorious
07-28-2011, 5:04 PM
I would work traffic only if they put me on a motorcycle.

retired
07-28-2011, 6:30 PM
I would work traffic only if they put me on a motorcycle.

I never wanted to even do that and they started the MC program for my dept. at my station, so I had a golden opportunity to do so.

When I was 13, I had a neighbor who was a CHP motor and he told me of the following: He was on a fwy and pulled over a car with 4 guys in it for some simple traffic violation. They came out shooting and he had to use the engine of his bike to protect himself. It turns out they had just pulled an armed 211 and the call had not yet come out.

Thankfully he was not hurt, but I decided right then and there that if I ever became a leo, I would never work a motor. My former dept. pays them more money and they get to drive it home, but no thanks.

Notorious
07-28-2011, 6:48 PM
I think almost every department pays hazard duty or incentive pay for motorcycle officers and they get to take the bikes home unless there was a political reason. My buddy in Burbank PD had to leave his bike because people complained about officers having a taxpayer funded ride... so the PD caved and they had to leave their bike at work... which is pretty dumb, but yeah, I get it.

I would still do motors because I love riding and if I get paid to ride, so be it. It gets rid of the itch to ride when I get too busy to ride on my own time.

Besides, chicks dig the britches and boots!