PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider removal

flooby
01-08-2007, 7:50 PM
I just got my RRA 9mm upper today. I was wondering how to take off the flash hider. Do I need a vise? Thanks.

hoffmang
01-08-2007, 7:53 PM
I used two tricks, but YMMV.

I put my upper on a lower with a stock, set down on it, and then used a crescent wrench with black electric tape on its jaws to get the flash hider off.

-Gene

Aluisious
01-08-2007, 7:55 PM
Real men twist with one hand on the barrel and one on the flash hider.

naimad
01-08-2007, 8:29 PM
I used two tricks, but YMMV.

I put my upper on a lower with a stock, set down on it, and then used a crescent wrench with black electric tape on its jaws to get the flash hider off.

-Gene

I have used this method it works

rocknut
01-08-2007, 9:18 PM
Its not a 14.5" barrel with the permanent flash hider is it? I assume not and the method mentioned above will work.

grywlfbg
01-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I just swapped out my RRA muzzle brake for the AK Concepts brake tonight. To remove the old one, I left the rifle together, stuck some electrical tape on the flats of the old brake, tightened down onto the flats w/ a crescent wrench, held the rifle between my legs (was sitting on the floor) and it came right loose.

However, installing the new one wasn't so easy. W/ the new crush washer I could only tighten it down to 1/2 turn away from properly installed. So I had to make a vise (I'm a freak and wanted it done tonight). I took a couple 3.5" pieces of 2x2 placed them in my bench vise, and drilled a 3/4" hole into the middle. Then I placed the barrel into the space left by the drill, cranked down on the vise, and finished tightening the new brake. Worked like a charm. I would recommend hardwood 2x2's if you have them. I only had pine and I broke 2 sets before I was finished.

Chris

proraptor
01-09-2007, 10:09 AM
The best way to do it is a set of barrel block for a vise...Ask around Im sure people will let you borrow theirs

rocknut
01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Sounds to me like it was the barrel he was grabbing with the wood blocks. If thats the case it would be fine. Otherwise...