PDA

View Full Version : CHP academy: any info?

GSwain
07-26-2011, 4:53 PM
I've been done with my process for about 5 months and waiting for my start academy letter or call, and have a couple questions for any that can help. 1, How much warning do you typically get before you need to show up, 2, Does anyone know when the next academy is, how many are waiting for an academy, and how many they are running per year at the moment? Thanks for any help you are able to provide, I have been in process about 3 years now and I sure hope i see the grounds soon. :( Also, any advice is more than welcome!

dad
07-26-2011, 5:04 PM
My wife was a dispatcher for CHP. She had to go threw training in Sacramento. The one thing she always brings up. The officers in training, they run, with their flash lights turned on, "because the sun is not up"! Good luck!

Shellshocker66
07-26-2011, 5:10 PM
I think the CHP academy is on hold for awhile due to the budget concerns. There was an article in the SacBee about it a few months back. Might want to google it.

Andy Taylor
07-26-2011, 7:43 PM
I think the CHP academy is on hold for awhile due to the budget concerns. There was an article in the SacBee about it a few months back. Might want to google it.

This is what I have heard. No new CHP academy class anytime soon.

JS89
07-26-2011, 9:27 PM
You need to get in touch with CHU (Cadet Hiring Unit) in Sacramento. The dept just opened up transfers and promotions, so it looks like things are starting to free up again. Last I heard the department is down 400 officers state wide.

RudyN
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
My nephew who is a CHP officer told me that the Cadet Training Classes are on hold right now. Doesn't know when the classes will start up again.

oldmotor
07-27-2011, 9:29 AM
Have a friend who teaches at the academy. They have been told, it is somewhere between six months and two years before they will start any new classes. They are just not sure.

ankyle62
07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Have a friend who teaches at the academy. They have been told, it is somewhere between six months and two years before they will start any new classes. They are just not sure.

ouch, that sucks. :(

GSwain
07-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I called the CHU yesterday and they said it is all unknown, apparently it depends on the governor and when he wants to start academys again. I was told they are aiming for 1st quarter of 2012 though.

davedog665
07-29-2011, 9:14 AM
GSwain PM inbound. I too have been in the process for over 2 1/2 years applied jan 2009 background passed nov. 2009 completed the entire process April 2010. This year i had to update my physical, written and oral psych. Now currently holding tight. During the written psych i was told the same jan 12 could be the earliest, unless their is a emergency type hiring.

BT JUSTICE
07-30-2011, 2:21 PM
I've got many fun memories as well as life changing traumatic personality injuries from the CHP academy. I hope your wait is short, and I wish I could be there to see your face on "Pick Up Day".

Bobby Ricigliano
08-01-2011, 3:08 PM
Forget that FUD about 'AAA with a gun' and all that. The Chippies that I cross paths with are pros at what they do. Even simple TC's give me a headache and these guys write gnarly multi-vehicle injury TC's like its nothing. They can do a deuce investigation twice as fast as I can. They have the luxury of concentrating their knowledge on a narrower field of law enforcement and they become VERY good at it.

Good luck getting into the academy. It's a great career.

Uhhlexxxis
08-01-2011, 9:35 PM
Forget that FUD about 'AAA with a gun' and all that. The Chippies that I cross paths with are pros at what they do. Even simple TC's give me a headache and these guys write gnarly multi-vehicle injury TC's like its nothing. They can do a deuce investigation twice as fast as I can. They have the luxury of concentrating their knowledge on a narrower field of law enforcement and they become VERY good at it.

glad to see someone appreciates some of the things we do on a daily basis.

OP, keep running, stay in GREAT shape, and stay out of trouble. It can't stay closed forever. It's worth while.

Anti-Hero
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I've been done with my process for about 5 months and waiting for my start academy letter or call, and have a couple questions for any that can help.

Have you received a conditional offer letter? With the back fill of applicants you're looking at possibly years start to finish.

1, How much warning do you typically get before you need to show up,

See above.

2, Does anyone know when the next academy is, how many are waiting for an academy, and how many they are running per year at the moment? Thanks for any help you are able to provide, I have been in process about 3 years now and I sure hope i see the grounds soon. :( Also, any advice is more than welcome!

No scheduled academy at this time. (last I heard)

See answers inline.

PositiveInfluence
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I know from personal contacts that if the CHP wanted to do another academy ctcle, they could do 10 full cycles without accepting one new application. They have so many apps and qualified applicants that there is almost no point in applying to CHP. Seeing as how you are from burbank, I know LA County and LAPD are both starting up their hiring wheel. Might want to look there.

Tacit Blue
08-02-2011, 10:58 AM
OP try LASD, they're hiring alot. CHP is a good agency, however they are the mercy of the states budget. Seek employment in a County or City.. You gotta understand CHP is stretched out through the whole state of CA, i think they're just trying to operate with the staffing levels they already have.

retired
08-02-2011, 5:35 PM

OP, keep running, stay in GREAT shape, and stay out of trouble. It can't stay closed forever. It's worth while.

I always appreciated what you guys did and still do. I worked a criminal car in the county when I worked Industry and then Walnut. I am so glad I had you guys to handle the T/As as I really disliked working traffic.:)

JS89
08-02-2011, 9:14 PM
I know from personal contacts that if the CHP wanted to do another academy ctcle, they could do 10 full cycles without accepting one new application. They have so many apps and qualified applicants that there is almost no point in applying to CHP. Seeing as how you are from burbank, I know LA County and LAPD are both starting up their hiring wheel. Might want to look there.

This is not true. The figure as of two years ago was 1,000 people shelved. Since that point the CHP has stopped accepting applications and has had 5 academy classes. The figure has dropped immensely, not to mention the amount of people that have given up on the hiring process. Like i mentioned earlier, the state has begun to open up promotions (SGT, LT, ect). They need to fill the void of Ofcr promotions to Sgt, as well as the amount of staff that was lost due to retirement. Keep your head up and nose clean. It's all anyone can do.

1911_sfca
08-02-2011, 9:45 PM

+1 on this. CHP are very professional and when you're as good at what you do as they are, those kind of comments probably just roll right off their backs. I found there are certain areas of the law they aren't that knowledgeable on, but for what they do, they are uniformly excellent at it.

To the OP: take this pause as an opportunity to get in great shape. You will need it.

AR15Kimo
08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I have friends in the same boat. The only difference is they been waiting for about 2 years

Doheny
08-09-2011, 8:56 AM
I've been done with my process for about 5 months and waiting for my start academy letter or call, and have a couple questions for any that can help. 1, How much warning do you typically get before you need to show up, 2, Does anyone know when the next academy is, how many are waiting for an academy, and how many they are running per year at the moment? Thanks for any help you are able to provide, I have been in process about 3 years now and I sure hope i see the grounds soon. :( Also, any advice is more than welcome!

I'm not a LEO, but try CHP Forums (http://www.chpforums.com/forum/index.php). They may have what you're looking for.

davedog665
08-09-2011, 9:16 AM
GSwain forgot to ask you if they have been updating you. I have had my medical, written and oral psych updated since they expire after a year. From what i know some are being updated and some are just sitting idle i would imagine those being updated are going to the academy first.

I also heard we may have to have a quick background update to cover the time since our last background interview.

Hang in there its only a matter of time just don't waste it by not being in shape!

Question: if you applied at another agency and were disqualified could that bring up issues in your current Chp application process? I think so.

davedog665
08-09-2011, 5:04 PM
funny how things work out got a call today to come in and have my background updated :rockon:

oldmotor
08-10-2011, 4:17 PM
Yesterday, I heard, the Commissioner of the CHP state that there is no date set for a class to start. Only that the earliest it could be is after the first of the year.

Rm7pr
08-11-2011, 2:09 AM

Amen brotha. Keep fighting the good fight.

ODJR1
08-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Second that stay in shape and out of trouble. It may or may not be a while before classes start running again, but it is quite possible to get a phone call on Friday to report on Monday