PDA

View Full Version : ??? Leaving the "complete" handgun in jail for the 10 wait period??

NewGuy1911
07-26-2011, 4:50 PM
The serial numbers are on the frame of the pistol, therefore must I leave the slide, barrel, magazines, and what ever else comes with a pistol at the Gun Shop?? I do not like leaving a new pistol for someone to "play" with or show off for ten days and I also do not like leaving the gun store after spending lots of $$$$ with nothing to show for it!!

If this has been covered before please aim me at the posts. Many Thanks

morrcarr67
07-26-2011, 4:52 PM
That's a good question.

I hope someone comes along with a good answer.

RollingCode3
07-26-2011, 4:57 PM
Just leave the frame behind. I usually take the slide and the mags with me home.

corcoraj2002
07-26-2011, 4:58 PM
That's a good question.

I hope someone comes along with a good answer.

Hmmm,

some have talked about locking the box and I know the shop I use have no problem with that. But not sure what pleasure you will gain from just bring the slide, barrel and magazines back home for 10 days.

J.

NewGuy1911
07-26-2011, 5:30 PM
Knowing that if something "goes" wrong I have some of the pistol. If something "goes" south your out the deposit (maybe 50% of the price of the pistol).

zfields
07-26-2011, 5:31 PM
Its in there for a backround check.....I dont think they want you running off with everything but the frame.

Granted the BC takes 2 minutes, but they dont get the report right away.

Lc17smp
07-26-2011, 5:34 PM
I was going to ask to do this with a slide on a used gun I bought a while back so I could send it out to be refinished. Ended up not asking as I didn't want to complicate things. In the future I will ask.

Hmmm,

some have talked about locking the box and I know the shop I use have no problem with that. But not sure what pleasure you will gain from just bring the slide, barrel and magazines back home for 10 days.

J.

Briancnelson
07-26-2011, 5:36 PM
The gun dealers I've dealt with usually want me to leave it all in the box, but let me lock the pistol with a cable lock so noone can fire it.

I would think they'd want to keep all of the parts in their possession even if they got back a DROS on you instantly, until you could buy it. Then they can say they delivered a complete product to you and you took possession on day x. I don't know that the law distinguishes any part of the handgun from the other and I wouldn't want to take that chance if I were an FFL.

Magazines and accessories that came with the gun I could see letting walk, if the gun is fully paid for, none of those are really as problematic legally.

tangent
07-26-2011, 5:40 PM
Id like to know this as well. I wouldn't do it, I just want to know out of curiosity.

Bakerloo
07-26-2011, 5:42 PM
That's a good question. What if you wanted to send the slide out for new sights during the 10 day wait?

redcliff
07-26-2011, 8:30 PM
Your dealer may balk at this if you're required to do a handgun safety demonstration at time of delivery. There are some exemptions to that requirement though.

jingerale
07-26-2011, 8:45 PM
well, I guess the question is when you actually legally own the firearm. Yes you paid for it, but without passing the BC, do you legally own it? If I was the shop, I would not let you take anything from the box. You can lock it and take the key.

I was going to ask what happens to the gun's value if you take any parts of it and do not pass a bc. When you return the slide and barrel, how does the shop know it's un-used.

drkphibr
07-26-2011, 8:45 PM
Based on paste experiences and what shop I'm doing business with, I now do one of the following:

If the shop is fine with me locking the box (I always ask, as it's a shop thing and NOT a DOJ/BATF requirement to leave it unloced unless a BATF agent request the case be opened if it's locked - then the shop may/will cut it)

If I can't lock the box (or forgot to bring a lock) and it's a semi, I'll ask if they have issues with me taking the slide. Haven't been turned down yet, but have been reminded to bring it back to do the safe handling demo

If it's a wheel gun and I can't lock the case, I'll put a cable lock through either the barrel (depending on length) or the cylinder. My goal is to prevent playing with it.

Most shops are pretty cool about the fact you own something that you don't want anyone else playing with, especially if it's a higher value firearm.

NewGuy1911
07-26-2011, 9:13 PM
My understanding once the serial #s recorded it"s a "used" pistol. I have been asked for at least a 50% deposit (no refundable, if this goes south, tough).

If someone buys a high $$$$$ pistol what's the chances someone in the shop will be taking your gun out of the cardboard box? If the gun store does not carry that brand, what do you think?

CK_32
07-26-2011, 9:52 PM
Just leave the frame behind. I usually take the slide and the mags with me home.

I doubt that....

Its in there for a backround check.....I dont think they want you running off with everything but the frame.

Granted the BC takes 2 minutes, but they dont get the report right away.

Thats exactly why I doubt it.... If you dont clear then wtf are they going to do... Ive already asked and they said the whole gun must stay.

Dannicus
07-26-2011, 9:56 PM
It's funny; I just don't get why u guys are so paranoid about shops messing with your gun. Nobody's gonna force your new baby to lick peanut butter off their dangly bits. It's a gun. The worst anyone would probably do is shoot it. If the shop has a range, there are likely rentals that they'd use before yours.

Dannicus
07-26-2011, 10:01 PM
(double post)

Japsican
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I once bought a pistol online and I had the seller send everything directly to me except the frame, which was sent to my ffl. Dealer and seller had no issue with it.

BlackRain17
07-26-2011, 10:35 PM
It's funny; I just don't get why u guys are so paranoid about shops messing with your gun. Nobody's gonna force your new baby to lick peanut butter off their dangly bits. It's a gun. The worst anyone would probably do is shoot it. If the shop has a range, there are likely rentals that they'd use before yours.

Ummmm... Maybe because it happens? I don't know about you but when I purchase something new, I'd like to get it that way. :rolleyes:

CK_32
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I once bought a pistol online and I had the seller send everything directly to me except the frame, which was sent to my ffl. Dealer and seller had no issue with it.

There is a difference of having a PPT and a new gun. Good luck trying to tell the FFL your taking your gun home during the 10 day wait.

PPT is all what they want to do. But if you give the shot the full gun.. then good luck again trying to tell them your taking the rest of the gun.

But if all the shop gets is the frame then what are they going to do about it.. Its not their responsibility to say hey we want the whole gun. They just cover their a** and what they get stays.. But if the never get it.. It never happened.

Bobula
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Safe handling demo?

NiteQwill
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I've taken everything but the frame home many times before, no problems. The key is being exempt from the HSC (demonstration and/or bringing the parts back on pickup).

Safe handling demo?

osxgp
07-27-2011, 8:31 PM
My dealer puts the guns I buy in his giant safe he calls his incubator. 10 days for perfection he says. It's kind of a way to add a little bit of humor to the 10 day waiting period. What makes no sense to me is why do you have to wait if you already own several guns? The 10 days is considered a cool off period right? If you already own guns, doesn't that defeat the purpose? Anyway, back to the topic. He doesn't let anyone play with the gun once it's in the safe, so I don't worry about someone checking it out until it's ready for parole.