PDA

View Full Version : anyone try or have Russian POSP scopes?

ask80
01-08-2007, 6:00 PM
I'm interested in them since they range from $100 -$150. I'm thinking about getting a russian rifle and would like to get a russian scope on it. :o

any first hand experience with them? i'm sure it's no leupold...

QuickOnTheDraw
01-08-2007, 6:14 PM
I'm interested in them since they range from $100 -$150. I'm thinking about getting a russian rifle and would like to get a russian scope on it. :o

Try doing a search by typing in "POSP", there are many threads in regards to these scope's, many members have purchased them from 10%. The Search is your friend, try it you'll like it!

C.G.
01-09-2007, 3:18 AM
For a Russian rifle, they are probably OK, since they have the proper mounts. Glass quality is not great, but passable. I bought one with a weaver mount (part of the scope) and the mount broke in few months use.

Nefarious
01-09-2007, 5:04 AM
Bought this from Wes 4-8x42
After some minor adjustments ... works like a charm.

Edit: Had to block out the GF kids face.. dont think she would want me blasting his pic out there
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/nefarious619/edit.jpg

juha_teuvonnen
01-09-2007, 9:42 AM
The more expensive scopes have better glass than POSP, but it's acceptable quality. The POSP variants that attach to AK/SVD/PSL side rail are very rugged. The body is magnesium alloy. These scopes are nitrogen purged, so should not fog up. Stay away from variable-power POSPs. If you want a POSP - get a fixed power, choose the power and reticle based on with what you want to do with your rifle (hunt, target practice). Power options available are 4x 6x 8x. The reticle options are "german post", "SVD style" and mil-dot.

The POSP/PSO family of scopes has 3 manufacturers that I know of (Novosibirsk - Russia, Zenit - Belorus, IOR Valada - Roumania). The mil-spec scopes are PSO-1M2 and Roumanian 4x for PSL. The POSPs are civilian versions, which have nice features like diopter adjustment and AA battery sockets that mil-spec scopes are lacking.

grammaton76
01-09-2007, 5:49 PM
For a Russian rifle, they are probably OK, since they have the proper mounts. Glass quality is not great, but passable. I bought one with a weaver mount (part of the scope) and the mount broke in few months use.

Interesting - never heard of that happening. My buddy and I are using our 4-8x42WD's (Weaver mounted) on 50 beowulf uppers, and haven't had any problems.

ask80
01-09-2007, 9:12 PM
The more expensive scopes have better glass than POSP, but it's acceptable quality. The POSP variants that attach to AK/SVD/PSL side rail are very rugged. The body is magnesium alloy. These scopes are nitrogen purged, so should not fog up. Stay away from variable-power POSPs. If you want a POSP - get a fixed power, choose the power and reticle based on with what you want to do with your rifle (hunt, target practice). Power options available are 4x 6x 8x. The reticle options are "german post", "SVD style" and mil-dot.

The POSP/PSO family of scopes has 3 manufacturers that I know of (Novosibirsk - Russia, Zenit - Belorus, IOR Valada - Roumania). The mil-spec scopes are PSO-1M2 and Roumanian 4x for PSL. The POSPs are civilian versions, which have nice features like diopter adjustment and AA battery sockets that mil-spec scopes are lacking.

hey is there a difference in quality between the manufacturers, specifically Belorus? I'm looking into fixed maybe up to 400m? i only have .223 in 16" barrel so don't know how accurate is goes up to.

mr2.0
01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
How is the POSP lens quality compare to Bushnell Elite 3200?

juha_teuvonnen
01-10-2007, 6:47 AM
hey is there a difference in quality between the manufacturers, specifically Belorus? I'm looking into fixed maybe up to 400m? i only have .223 in 16" barrel so don't know how accurate is goes up to.

Novosibirsk is supposed to be a bit higher quality than Zenit (Belorus). At least that's what many russians tend to believe. The difference in quality is minimal - both factories used to make scopes for the soviet army "back in the day". They used the same spec, same machninery etc. As you are planning to use .223 up to 400 meters, I'd go with lower magnification (4x or 6x) and mil-dot. Lower magnification scopes give you better FOV which is better for hunting. If you plan on using the rifle only for punching holes in parer - go with 8x.

laabstract
01-10-2007, 1:26 PM
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/

I bought a reddot PK-AS from them and love it

xenophobe
01-10-2007, 1:35 PM

Any Simmons or Bushnell in the same price range is going to be an optically superior rifle scope.

icormba
01-10-2007, 3:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting a russian rifle and would like to get a russian scope on it

Any Simmons or Bushnell in the same price range is going to be an optically superior rifle scope.

But if he is getting a Russian rifle, a Russian designed scope would look "more" the part I'd think? :)

The russian scopes are fine for russian rifles or other former eastern block rifles.

xenophobe
01-10-2007, 7:55 PM
Well, if you want it for the look, then get it for the look.

And it wouldn't be "more correct" or look more the part. If you're going to put one on a SVD, RPK, PKM, fine, but if you're just going to put it on a Saiga or AK, then it won't look right anyways...

icormba
01-11-2007, 7:00 PM

And it wouldn't be "more correct" or look more the part. If you're going to put one on a SVD, RPK, PKM, fine, but if you're just going to put it on a Saiga or AK, then it won't look right anyways...

just an fyi...
The PSO & POSP scopes look a whole lot better than the standard issue night scope systems DESIGNED for the Russian AKM & AK74 (the reason why many come with the matching compatible rail attached):
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media2/mpk204.jpg
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media/74wpn51.jpgnight scope systems
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media/pso1slr1.jpg

Any other scope, other than the PSO, POSP or night vision device, on a AK would be the scope that wouldn't look right.

More info on Tantal's site:
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/opticsap.html

As for their look or function? Yeah... the Russian designed stuff does look funny, but it's still the "correct" look and the best possible scope mounting system for the AK platform, which really shouldn't use a scope in the 1st place... but I don't think anyone is arguing that.

ask80
01-11-2007, 7:31 PM

hmm i think it looks right for a saiga at least... IMO

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/063403000/63403145/pix3437934220.jpg