View Full Version : Wanted to build an Ar off List fixed mag Varmint gun

01-08-2007, 5:39 PM
I have been doin a little bit of research, but i have not concluded my decisions on purchasing anything yet. I figured i would hit the forums and get some knowledge from experienced people.

A little background. I hunt quite a bit, mainly upland game and large mammals, but recently i have been helping manage varmint and pest control on some local ranches/farms in my area. During my testing of various tools(rifles for varminting) i fell in love with the ar.

I know several chambers exist i.e. .223, .223 wsm, .204. etc... I also understand that there are various makers of parts and kits. Barrel twists and lengths etc...

So if you have some time and knowledge to share please do so, it will not go to waste.

Remember i live in california.

01-08-2007, 5:40 PM
I went with a bull barrel 20" flat top with a scope but I use portable benches to shoot squirrels. If you are going to do any walking get the HBar instead.

01-08-2007, 5:48 PM
ANy brand references as well... accuracy testing, load info is welcome too! Thanks in advance

01-08-2007, 6:30 PM
For my .204 AR I'm running a Fab10 lower Douglas 20" match grade 1/12 twist varmit contour barrel from http://www.compasslake.com.

This is the 100 yard target from the first time shooting it
I must say I'm very happy with it.

01-08-2007, 7:10 PM
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/uppers-match.htmANy brand references as well... accuracy testing, load info is welcome too! Thanks in advance

John Holliger at White Oak.

01-08-2007, 8:23 PM
anyone ever hear of m&a, stag, or Model 1, DSA, DPMS?

What are some opinions if you have any of these companies?

Further what about about barrell twist, any thoughts? I know a little bit about twist ratios. However what is the main difference on the smaller calibers say .204, 223. between a 1:9 twist vs 1:12 or 14 twist? I have heard that some of the lighter bullets say 40 grn or 50 gn varmint will have the tendency to fall apart easier with the higher twist ratios (1:8).

thanks again

01-08-2007, 8:41 PM
I have a stag and DPMS. The stag is a 1-9. The DPMS is a 1-8. I am no expert, but from my understanding the faster twist rate will stabilize heavier bullets. If you are shooting small critters you will probably don't want anything faster then a 1-9 since you will be using a lighter bullet. The way I had it explained to me is you put a light bullet in a 1-7 and you will basically have an Ar-15 shotgun.

01-08-2007, 9:21 PM
40 grn Vmaxes are often fine out of a 1:8, rarely will a 1:7 do damage to them as well.

There are only a few really light 40s that are fragile enough to be damaged by a 1:7(sierra Blitz and Speer 50grn TNTs being most succeptable).

1:7 might not be the most accurate twist rate but you should still be able to manage sub MOA with 40grn Vmaxes and Noslers, you won't know until you try. 1:8s should be safe, my 1:9 slings 40grn Vmax handloads with mixed brass into 3/4 inch for 10 shots(repeated in multiple groups) @ 100.

01-08-2007, 9:45 PM
Thanks for the input. Any others out there with ideas of where and what to buy?

01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I have a DPMS LoPro 24" stainless 1-9 full float bull barrel flat top upper that does pretty well, even though some on here don't care much for DPMS. It is also very heavy, more suited to bench shooting than carrying. I also have an American Spirit Arms 20" Wilson stainless 1-8 heavy barrel flat top upper w/A2 handguards that reliably rings gongs at 500+ yards. American Spirit is no longer in business.

Rock River Arms has a couple of varmint upper lines in 16", 18", 20" & 24" stainless full float bull barrel setups. check out their web site

01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
^^^Nope!!! ASA is still in business, just under differ owner. WWW.Americanspiritarms.net

01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
^^^Nope!!! ASA is still in business, just under differ owner. WWW.Americanspiritarms.net
Cool! I had been told that they were closed - some sort of family dispute - and were out of business. Does anyone know if they are going to build the ASA .308 rifles?

01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
You'd actually trust a 308 from ASA?

ASA is out of business, I don't think the change of ownership occurred.

Good riddance. Generally crap products (except lowers). True bottom feeder a la Oly, Model1, etc. - with a terrible attitude towards customer service.

01-09-2007, 5:08 AM
Here's what I did.

Stag lower
Slightly used flat top upper from arfcom
Slightly used A2 buttstock from arfcom
DPMS 24" 1-8 bull barrel chopped to 20"
Vented free float tube
Bushnell 3-9 scope I had laying around.
10rnd fixed mag and my own maglock since I can drill and tap myself.
Rattle can paint job.

Holds minute of coyote at 100yds with Blackhills 55gr SP. Never did get a chance to really try it on paper yet. I mainly wanted to build it cheap and that's what I did buying slightly used parts and my dealer discount from Midway and brownells.

01-09-2007, 7:01 AM
Where you located? I'm in Chico and have a RRA 18" varmint setup if you wanna shoot it or check it out.

01-09-2007, 7:29 AM
Im here in stockton. That would be cool to check out your rig if you ever had time. I need to know who will do the oll transfer though. I have a lower ready to go.

05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
RRA makes a 20" varmint upper called the predator pursuit, and it's 1-2lbs lighter than their regular varmint upper. but RRA got a long waiting time, fastest i can find is 6 weeks. but what ever you choose, good luck with the built. i'm building one myself. i'm personally waiting for a DPMS LoPro 20 or 24" varmint upper. trying to find out if the extra 4" will make a difference.

05-05-2007, 5:36 AM
I had built a 24" on an RRA varmint barrel. Would probably do a 20" if I had it to do all over, it sure is heavy. But that works great for fast follow-up, the darn thing doesn't move!

No one has mentioned the trigger. Very important. A good trigger will tighten groups and I doubt you will get an argument from anyone on that statement! Whatever you do, ditch the stock trigger from the typical LPK and get a real precision trigger. Bare minimum would be the RRA 'match' trigger. While it is smoother and a little lighter in pull, it's not a precision trigger. I went with the Geiselle; not cheap but it's so sweet it breaks like a glass rod. It's as good as you can get from an AR, and the pull and let-off are adjustable.

Whatever you do for a scope, get a good one piece mount; don't skimp- it's as important (maybe more so) than the scope itself (Larue hint hint). Yea I know, I'm spending your money :o but it's more fun than spending mine :D . My wallet hurt for a while after building mine (over $3g with scope) but now that its been a year, I don't feel the financial ouch anymore. But I do feel that wonderful trigger with every squeeze.

05-05-2007, 6:04 AM
Oh yeah, trigger. I put a Chip McCormick trigger in mine. (couple post above) When I finally got it on paper, it was holding dime sized groups with black hills blue box 55gr SP. I'm not too crazy about the CMC trigger though. I had to work on it a bit to get it to function properly. For some reason, it wouldn't reset properly and I had to push the trigger forward to fire again. I bought two, one for a friend, and his did the same thing. The only thing I want to do to it now is get another Burris FF2 to repace the Bushnell.