PDA

View Full Version : Ability to accept a detachable mag

blastphemind
01-08-2007, 5:35 PM
Guys need some advice for this. Let's say for transportation purposes I had to take out the mag off my stag OLL. I have a Prince 50 kit installed in the mag release button, theoretically once the mag is off what if I screwed in the prince 50 kit all the way flush to where my stag won't be able to "accept" a detachable mag any longer - carrying my stag OLL with the prince 50 kit screwed in all the way without a mag (empty mag well cavity), would this be considered an AW?:confused:

bwiese
01-08-2007, 5:40 PM
Guys need some advice for this. Let's say for transportation purposes I had to take out the mag off my stag OLL. I have a Prince 50 kit installed in the mag release button, theoretically once the mag is off what if I screwed in the prince 50 kit all the way flush to where my stag won't be able to "accept" a detachable mag any longer - carrying my stag OLL with the prince 50 kit screwed in all the way without a mag (empty mag well cavity), would this be considered an AW?:confused:

While there is some handwaving about this, if you remove a fixed magazine from a rifle it should not have any evil features attached. For all practical purposes you should not do this. If there's a moment where a mag could be inserted and gun fired while pistol grip etc attached, you've had an illegal AW for a short period of time.

ORDER OF DISASSEMBLY AND REASSEMBLY IS IMPORTANT.

Thus, if your fixed-mag OLL rifle needs to have a mag removed, it should FIRST have the pistol grip and/or telestock and/or upper w/flash hider removed before fixed mag kit is removed

Upon reassembly, the fixed mag should be attached FIRST. Then, evil features can be added.

Sounds like someone missed the FAQ.

blastphemind
01-08-2007, 5:47 PM
gotcha bill regarding the order. Ok let's say I did do it all in order but my mag well is empty and my prince 50 is screwed in a way where it no longer can accept a mag, would this fall as an AW ? :)

6172crew
01-08-2007, 5:58 PM
Not when the screw is tight but like Bill says you nedd to remove the grip until the screw is tight or it will accept a detachable maG.

Matt C
01-08-2007, 6:15 PM
gotcha bill regarding the order. Ok let's say I did do it all in order but my mag well is empty and my prince 50 is screwed in a way where it no longer can accept a mag, would this fall as an AW ? :)

In a word, No. But why do this? Asking for trouble IMO.

hoffmang
01-08-2007, 6:30 PM
Well, let me complicate this a little.

If you had the prince-50 tightened down and the upper off, you do not have a semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

You have an off list lower receiver with the potential to be a semiatuomatic centerfire, semiautomatic rimfire, bolt action, or single shot rifle.

However, as I said in my post about the bullet tip magazine release - don't complicate your life by transporting an open magwell rifle.

-Gene

blastphemind
01-08-2007, 6:31 PM
In a word, No. But why do this? Asking for trouble IMO.

well you know I'm starting to realize it's not such a good of an idea. If I had a 10/30 mag and it being attached to my stag won't fit the current rifle case that I have. I have to disassemble my upper from the lower receiver (probably the fastest way to take out evil features like flashhider) and change my stock to an A2 or take off the pistol grip....I figured to just go with my bushie 10/20 or get a bigger case. All this for a 10/30 defenitely ain't worth the trouble

Thanks for the input guys, just when I thought I had a light bulb come up and stick it to the man..

blastphemind
01-08-2007, 6:47 PM
Well, let me complicate this a little.

If you had the prince-50 tightened down and the upper off, you do not have a semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

You have an off list lower receiver with the potential to be a semiatuomatic centerfire, semiautomatic rimfire, bolt action, or single shot rifle.

However, as I said in my post about the bullet tip magazine release - don't complicate your life by transporting an open magwell rifle.

-Gene

ok since I don't have your bullet tip magazine release yet (which I plan to have when they are available and i can't waite)....all I need to take out is the upper and I won't have a semi-auto centerfire, then I can' do whatever I mentioned above?

hoffmang
01-08-2007, 7:10 PM
You should feel relatively comfortable with an empty mag well, a 10/30, and an upper in the case - all apart.

Its still not optimal from the perspective of potentially having to explain it to a LEO.

-Gene

blastphemind
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks hoffmang, your input regarding taking out the upper helped me alot!