PDA

View Full Version : new glock finish

soulfresh
07-26-2011, 12:04 AM
hey guys this has probably been discussed but i couldn't really find it in the forum.

from what i "heard" the new glocks with the matte finish scratch more easily and rust more easily than the glossy finish. is this true? also has glock done or said anything about the complaints people have made?

lastly how is glocks customer service? thanks

al8550
07-26-2011, 5:04 AM
Curious as well, just bought a 21SF

CrazyJeep
07-26-2011, 7:22 AM
G19 born on date of Jan 2011 on Left. G21SF-RTF2 on Right born on date Sept 2010.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/Glock/IMG_2190.jpg

Same guns in the same position.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/Glock/IMG_2193.jpg

G19 on Right, 21SF-RTF2 on Left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/Glock/IMG_2207.jpg

Finish is just that...finish. What sets Glock apart is the Tenifer metal treatment below the finish. The Tenifer treatment protects the metal from rust, not so much the the dull to shiney finish you see on Glocks.

21SF
07-26-2011, 7:25 AM
I fouund the same results with my 21 and 26, I much prefer the old finish which was glossier. The new finish is almost like parkerized finish, its soaks up oil.

Heiko
07-26-2011, 8:18 AM
I also prefer the older "blacker" finish but since I bought my two Glocks brand new recently, there was nothing I could do. Oh well. All we can do is just shoot them and not worry about the finish.

I am curious what the reasons were or what the story is behind the change. I had heard that the soon-to-be made in US Glocks will lack the Tenifer finish due to EPA regulations but that shouldn't effect the color of the black since Tenifer is such a micro layer on the metal.

DaveFJ80
07-26-2011, 9:56 AM
All of my Glocks have the same matte finish....

Gen 3 G19 (Jun 2009)
Gen 4 G19 (Jul 2010)
Gen 3 G26 (Jun 2011.... yes, that recent)

The Gen 3 G19 finish is slightly darker looking, but otherwise the same finish.

BHPFan
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Looks like the reasons are either cutting costs or all that EPA hoopla (new production pistols cannot have certain chemical components used in the finish of earlier productions).

Lumpia is sarap!
07-26-2011, 11:24 AM
It all started when the Gen4s came out: more smoother and slightly greyish. Old ones are blackish and roughish.

RollingCode3
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
hey guys this has probably been discussed but i couldn't really find it in the forum.

from what i "heard" the new glocks with the matte finish scratch more easily and rust more easily than the glossy finish. is this true? also has glock done or said anything about the complaints people have made?

RUST more? NO..... They do scratch more easily though but that gives character to my handgun (battle wounds) :kilt:

kiloechovictor
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
LWD has a refinishing service advertised to be the pre-2003 finish. Anyone ever take a swing? Sounds outsourced.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1154&CAT=3680

SJgunguy24
07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Since when were glocks made in the USA? Everyone I've seen says Austria and the import info is Smyrna Georgia.

slick_711
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Since when were glocks made in the USA? Everyone I've seen says Austria and the import info is Smyrna Georgia.

They've been making some of their frames in the US for years now, these will have the standard 3 letter - 3 number Glock serial number but followed by "US."

I was under the impression they would never do complete production in the US because the EPA won't allow the chemicals the Tennifer process requires and Gaston Glock wouldn't produce a pistol without it. That may have changed though, I haven't paid much attention to Glock lately.

1911Operator
07-26-2011, 1:00 PM
I actually like the Gen 4 texture. it feels better when racking the slide, IMO it gives me more traction then the previous glossy finish which was nice but very slippery.

thefinger
07-26-2011, 3:37 PM
The new finish looks way batter and more importantly gives a much better grip on the slide. From what I've heard, guns with the newer finish still have tennifer in them.

I have a Gen 3 G26 from 2010 and a Gen 4 G35 from 2011-- each with the new matte finish.

I have used guns with both old and new finish and I can say that the new finish DOES wear faster and scratch easier. HOWEVER it looks much better and has shown ZERO signs of rust on my G26 (which I sweat on all the time).

soulfresh
07-26-2011, 3:51 PM
ok cool im not worried so much about scratches...i mean its a glock. rust i do worry about but if no one has had issues then whatever. how is glocks customer service though?

Flying Sig
07-27-2011, 6:18 AM
.... how is glocks customer service though?

Who knows? Nobody has ever had to send one back! :D

de1911
07-27-2011, 7:43 AM
It all started when the Gen4s came out: more smoother and slightly greyish. Old ones are blackish and roughish.

No the first runs of the Gen4's had the older style black finish, it is entirely possible to have a Gen4 with the old finish and a Gen3 with the new finish depending on when they were made.

I agree with the sentiment here that the older finish was better, the new one has a slight advantage in being "grippy" but it doesn't look as good and shows holster wear much more quickly.

locosway
07-27-2011, 9:19 AM

Glock has excellent customer service. They will often replace worn parts for free even when the pistol is out of warranty.

As for rust, the tenifer finish is what keeps the metal protected, not the black coating.