PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt Oakland Ammo Restrictions - WTF?

gamename
01-08-2007, 2:23 PM
Hi,

Cheaper Than Dirt will no longer ship to Oakland (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/restrict.asp). Heard anything about this? Is this a new law?

TIA,
-T

mike100
01-08-2007, 2:29 PM
their list didn't exclude Los Angeles for ammo shipments..it is either incomplete, or perhaps they have been hearing a lot of lawyer speak coming from the east bay city halls.

NextTimeAround
01-08-2007, 2:55 PM
That sucks to say the least.

jumbopanda
01-08-2007, 3:04 PM
That way, you won't have to worry about gangstas bustin' a cap in yo ***. :rolleyes:

megavolt121
01-08-2007, 3:51 PM
That way, you won't have to worry about gangstas bustin' a cap in yo ***.

Like these guys?

QuickOnTheDraw
01-08-2007, 5:08 PM
Like these guys?
That is hilarious! I lived in Oakland for 27 years, that could of been one of my neighbors....those rims cost more than the whole car is worth.

Blue
01-08-2007, 6:42 PM
I wish these morons would stop sending their catalogs to California. Half of the crap in there is "restricted" anyways. I have their catalogs sent to me at my office, at my home, at my parents house, all in my name and in my kids names just to waste their money.

scorpucla
01-08-2007, 7:04 PM
Hi,

Cheaper Than Dirt will no longer ship to Oakland (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/restrict.asp). Heard anything about this? Is this a new law?

TIA,
-T

I was looking for ammo some months back, and noticed there are a couple sites that won't sell to the city of Oakland. Aimsurplus is another site that won't ship to oakland, and they require that you send or fax your DL to them to verify your age and location.

guimus
01-08-2007, 8:27 PM
all ammo shipments are restricted to Oakland. I have all my stuff shipped to my work address in Berkeley.

odysseus
01-11-2007, 1:44 AM
And look at the effect that has had on lowering Oakland's violent crime rate!

...give everyone a ribbon.

hw323
01-11-2007, 6:20 AM
San Francisco is on that list too, but I shouldn't be surprised.

Oh yeah, and that ride is gangsta yo! I like the "26"" decal, like to make sure people would take extra note of the size of the rims as if one wouldn't notice hahaha.

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 6:58 AM
Cheaperthandirt and others are not shipping ammo to certain countieis per the request of the county. So it's not because you are in "Oakland" they won't ship it to you, but because you are in Alameda County!

Sugg: Ship it to a friends house outside of the county!

odysseus
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Strange... is this pretty recent? Because I know people who have recieved orders form Cheaper than dirt in a couple of cities in Alameda county.

And a county just requesting shouldn't be listened to. It needs to be a law passed to the voters, i.e. no shipments of ammunition. The vendor should look to that only.

1919A4
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I live in alameda county and I just recieved a case of 223 and 4 cases of 8mm from cheaper than dirt. They didnt give me any issues.

Lohse
01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
all ammo shipments are restricted to Oakland. I have all my stuff shipped to my work address in Berkeley.

I've thought about shipping ammo to my work, but I think everyone would wonder when a 50+ lb box comes in the door that everyone has trouble carrying around.

gamename
01-11-2007, 1:00 PM
I queried CTD about the policy and got this in reply:

After reviewing Oakland CA ordinance 9.20 Ammunition Sales Registration we do not meet the requirements to sale ammunition to the residents of Oakland CA.
9.20.010 Title.
This chapter shall be known as the ammunition sales registration ordinance. (Ord. 11848 1 (part), 1995; prior code 2-12.01)
9.20.020 Findings and purpose.
The City Council finds that the state of California has not preempted the enactment of a municipal ordinance requiring the registration of ammunition sales in Oakland, and further finds that the availability of such ammunition sales records can aid the police department in investigations of major crimes involving the use of firearms. The intent of the City Council in enacting the ordinance codified in this chapter is to implement a requirement that ammunition vendors within the city record and maintain records with respect to each individual purchase of ammunition, so that the purchaser can be traced in the event the ammunition were used in the commission of criminal activity. (Ord. 11848 1 (part), 1995; prior code 2-12.02)
9.20.030 Definitions.
As used in this chapter: "Ammunition" means a projectile designated to be expelled by force of an explosion, and intended for use in any firearm, including pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns.
"Vendor" means any individual, person, gun dealer, store, firm or corporation selling ammunition within the city of Oakland. (Ord. 11848 1 (part), 1995; prior code 2-12.03)
9.20.040 Record of ammunition sales.
Every vendor who sells ammunition in the city shall maintain a record of ammunition sales as prescribed by this chapter. The record shall be maintained on the vendor's premises, on forms supplied by, or approved by, the Oakland Police Department (OPD). An ammunition purchaser must provide to the vendor and the vendor shall record the following information:
A. The date of the transaction;
B. The purchaser's name, address and date of birth;
C. The purchaser's valid driver's license number or other identification number from a valid photographic I.D. such as a passport;
D. The brand of ammunition purchased;
E. The type and amount of ammunition purchased; and
F. The purchaser's signature and vendor's initials.
The information required to be recorded shall be maintained in chronological order by date of sale of the ammunition and shall be retained on the business premises of the vendor for a period not less than two years following the date of the recorded sale of the ammunition.
Oakland police officers may enter a vendor's premises during regular business hours for the purpose of examining, inspecting or copying records required by this chapter. (Ord. 11848 1 (part), 1995; prior code 2-12.04)

Aaron Dove
Product Support & Information
CheaperThanDirt.com
aaron@cheaperthandirt.com

More idiocy from the Oakland city council. Oh well, I'll send my ammo to a friends address.

-T

guimus
01-11-2007, 1:00 PM
Cheaperthandirt and others are not shipping ammo to certain countieis per the request of the county. So it's not because you are in "Oakland" they won't ship it to you, but because you are in Alameda County!

Sugg: Ship it to a friends house outside of the county!

no, this one is a city ordinance. Look at what I posted. Companies have no problem shipping to my work address in Berkeley (also in Alameda county).

gamename
01-11-2007, 1:02 PM
I live in alameda county and I just recieved a case of 223 and 4 cases of 8mm from cheaper than dirt. They didnt give me any issues.
Yeah, its oakland-specific wussification in action, not Alameda county wussification.

-T

guimus
01-11-2007, 1:02 PM
I've thought about shipping ammo to my work, but I think everyone would wonder when a 50+ lb box comes in the door that everyone has trouble carrying around.

Yeah, thankfully the guy at the front desk here is pretty cool and is a friend of mine. He just beeps me when another heavy package comes in, and then puts it behind his desk until I pick it up on my way out the door. I'm friendly with the regular UPS guy, too, though, so sometimes I'll just meet him outside when there's a big ORM-D package arriving and he'll wheel it right to my car.

odysseus
01-11-2007, 8:24 PM
Sad times and places when people have to feel weird getting ammo sent to them. But this is pretty much the norm now.

flashhole
01-13-2007, 9:07 AM
I have had good success shipping and receiving my ammo and gun supplies through my local UPS Store. I receive my ammo there and pay $5 per package. It works fine different stores behave differently but the one in Berkeley acted as the receiver for competitors ammo for the Richmond Matches.

Any of you Oaklanders need help or details just PM me.

GS

Davidoff
01-16-2007, 3:56 PM

Kind of ironic, no?