PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory Loaded MC Operator- Joke or not?

stilly
07-25-2011, 9:54 PM
So I went in to Bright Spot Pawn today and checked out my Equinox and my Operator that they are holding for me. I drosed the Operator but I had to have a look at the magazines.

Are you kidding me?

Maybe I am seeing things wrong but someone please correct me here if it is so. It looked like the Operator came with 2 shiny black GI mags. Hey wait a second, I have about 25+ GI mags and most of them shoot like crap. I was hoping for the SA equivalent of the Wilson 47-D or the ETM mags but NO.

Actually I expected the case to glow when it was opened like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction but then I realized that I did not pay for the Loaded MC glow package since it was another $1200.00...

SO, are the Operators such awesome guns that they can shoot just about any GI type of mag and function flawlessly or am I supposed to toss those mags (or at least upgrade them with the tripp research mag kits) and get some Wilson 47-Ds?

Anyone have any experience on these?

I am hoping for the SA Operator to restore my faith in the SA guns since the XD 40 tac has pummeled the crap out of the SA reputation everytime I load up a truncated cone from Fiocchi...

Heiko
07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Those SA mags are pretty cheesy. I don't use mine anymore, not even for range use. It is unfortunate that they come with cheaper looking and feeling magazines but the few times I have tried them out when I first got my Loaded Champion, they worked fine so I suppose that's good enough for SA. Start stocking up on 47Ds, Chips, or Tripps.

I wouldn't compare the XD experience to your Operator. All will be well.

stilly
07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Those SA mags are pretty cheesy. I don't use mine anymore, not even for range use. It is unfortunate that they come with cheaper looking and feeling magazines but the few times I have tried them out when I first got my Loaded Champion, they worked fine so I suppose that's good enough for SA. Start stocking up on 47Ds, Chips, or Tripps.

I wouldn't compare the XD experience to your Operator. All will be well.

My friend and I are gonna actually start shooting guns rather than buying them from now on. We are going to the Ontario gunshow to stock up on ammo at the end of the month.

Until now we have bought guns, taken them out, put a few rounds through them and then came home and accessorized them and what not. Also, now that ammo has come down in price a bit and there is actaully ammo out there to buy we are wanting to go shooting more. i told him I was gonna shoot the sh*t out of the Operator and make it jam cause that is what all 1911s do eventually... I hope it proves me wrong.

Plisk
07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
My MC came with the standard GI 7rd mags like all the other 1911s come with.

Malmon
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I might have remembered it wrong but I have bought and sold an MC OP and I think it came with stainless mags with slam pads.

JTROKS
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
What is up with SA providing crappy mags with their pistols? The two mags that came with my 1911 Loaded/Target 9mm were crap. I lost one at the range (maybe I chucked it towards the tall grass due to my rage). I ended up sending just one back, then a package finally came from SA and to my surprise the mag looked like it was nickel plated and had .40 stamped on the side. Huh!? Do they expect this to work with my 9mm pistol? Even the invoice had it listed as sending me a magazine for 40S&W 1911. Luckily I had some blued Metalform mags arrive earlier that week. But to make things right I called SA Customer sevice. The guy looked over the invoice record and he said he'll have the right magazine sent to me ASAP. I asked him what he wanted me to do with the 40 mag and he said, "Sell it on Gunbroker". LOL! It doesn't work for my 10mm, but I can easily convert my 10mm 1911 to 40. Hopefully it will work. BTW, the new mag from SA worked as well as the Metalform mags I bought. The SA mags are Metalform.

PRCABR4Christ
07-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I recommend Wilson Service mags...I've had as much good luck with them as I have Chips and 47d's, and they're about $20 a pop from Midway and Brownells...beware though, they're "GI style" :eek:

Twiggz
07-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Mine came with two GI mags, exactly like my friends Kimber. Only issue I've ever had was fail to feed on the last round. But that was before the gun was broken in.

Mine are still used for range duty, but I wont feel bad chucking them when they malfunction.

vincentk
07-26-2011, 2:00 AM
i've had 5 FTF's within 40 rds using the mags that came with my MC Operator.

cmoore
07-26-2011, 2:24 AM
Although I never had issues with my SA mags, I've been running Chips 8's and 10's for years now without issues.

fullspeed1
07-26-2011, 6:40 AM
Weird, My stock 7rd Kimber mag has been flawless through my "MIM"ber Custom II.

Ryman211
07-26-2011, 6:44 AM
My SA Loaded came with the cheap mags also, I think they are in a box as my chip power mags and wilson 47D/ETM is all I use.

zfields
07-26-2011, 7:04 AM
looks like the only good mags SA has are the made in croatia ones...

: P

joe_sun
07-26-2011, 7:31 AM
The GI mags that came with my SA Loaded have been flawless.

Paper Boy
07-26-2011, 7:38 AM
The GI mags that came with my SA Loaded have been flawless.

I have the GI mags along with some pachmayr mags I got a at gun show and they both seem to work fine.

Martin_B
07-26-2011, 7:45 AM
The mags that came with my springfield have worked flawlessly which is better than can be said for the Wilson Combat ETM mags that I've had to replace twice thus far.

Killawhale415
07-26-2011, 7:48 AM
Its a shame they include cheapo mags with a not so cheapo gun.
A more affordable mag option would be chip mccormick "shooting star" mags, all the ones I have used work perfectly and the price is very good.

HPGunner
07-26-2011, 7:56 AM
I had a Springfield Loaded Target Black Stainless and it came with two 7 rd stainless mags with slam pads. they worked fine. They even fed JHP's where as Chip Power Mag+ did not. I know invest in Wilson mags as I've yet to have one failure with. Wilson mags works on all my 1911's and feeds anything I put in it.

high_lander
07-26-2011, 9:13 AM
I ran my two stock mags in a pistol course and and had no FTF, no FTE, or any other FTwhatever.

Ricky808maui
07-26-2011, 6:14 PM
Yeah the mc mags are kinda crappy..... I just use chip power 10 works so good

map
07-26-2011, 6:37 PM
I have a loaded champion and the factory mags are bad. It stovepipes the last round quite often when using jhp. Never had any issues with chip 8 round power mags.

tuna quesadilla
07-26-2011, 6:42 PM
The 7rd GI mags that came with my Loaded functioned fine with ball ammo but tended to choke on JHPs. YMMV.

giants_fan24
07-26-2011, 6:44 PM
That sucks about the mags but I've been using the Kimber Tac Pro mags and they work great and there cheaper than the Wilson 47D mags. The only draw back is that Wilson will replace mags if they brake and I'm not sure that Kimber will do the same.

cprieto
07-26-2011, 6:49 PM
Never had any problems with the mags that came with my loaded...

slick_711
07-26-2011, 9:54 PM
looks like the only good mags SA has are the made in croatia ones...

: P

Actually the 9mm 1911 mags SA sells/provides are just about the best 9mm 1911 mags you can get. I've never had a single mag related malfunction in thousands of rounds. But yeah, their GI .45 mags are useless.

JanG
07-27-2011, 1:36 AM
i told him I was gonna shoot the sh*t out of the Operator and make it jam cause that is what all 1911s do eventually... I hope it proves me wrong.

it's actually the opposite, 1911s get better with age :D

the mags from that came with my mil spec functions just as well as my chip mags. even feeds hornady and remington umc hps, and i'm still on the 300 rd mark.

socal425
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
My stock mags that came with my MCO have been just fine with no issues with ball or JHPs. However my go-to mags are my Wilson 47D 8rndrs.

FCOD
08-22-2011, 8:34 PM
I just picked up my TRP Operator and it came with what I thought at first were Chip mags or something nice because they're stainless with slam pads, but upon closer look noticed they're kind of a cheap knock off. They've got this annoying bump or rivit on the follower that makes the first round a pain in the ***.

They've functioned 100% at the range, but Im going to have to buy a few more 47Ds just because I love the design and reliability of those.

Cyc Wid It
08-22-2011, 9:48 PM
If you want to keep the cost down, you accept the crappy mags and buy different ones after, although Springfield's 9mm 1911 magazines are decent. Magazines are the most common point of failure anyway on 1911's, you'll be buying several and/or replacement internals anyway.

NiteQwill
08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
The only GOOD magazines SA provides are the ones that come with the EMP series.

With that said...

Keep the crappy magazines and upgrade the internals/guts to Tripp components and you will be gravy.

Or just buy better magazines... Tripp, Wilson, Chip, etc.

RolinThundr
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I had no problems with my SA mags for my MC Operator. I usually use Wilson Combat mags now because they are so much smoother to load.

Dhena81
08-23-2011, 3:40 AM
1911 magazine follower designs are different for different purposes for example GI mags are for a controlled feed 47D's don't control feed then there are tons of hybrid follower designs each has a trade off. Just like ammo not all 1911's will work flawlessly with just one type of magazine design.

If you have time check these articles out or save them for when you do have time there is some great info in these.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

Bakerloo
08-23-2011, 4:42 AM
My friend and I are gonna actually start shooting guns rather than buying them from now on.

Until now we have bought guns, taken them out, put a few rounds through them and then came home and accessorized them and what not.

I thought I was the only one...

Nordschleife
08-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I tossed the gi mags when i purchased my Springfield loaded and used chip mccormacks right off the bat. I personally don't know anyone who has had a good experience with those SA mags at all!

ELIXIR
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I hooked up my Operator with Wilson Combat ETM mags....

john.t.singh
08-23-2011, 1:30 PM
doesnt the TRP come with crappy mags?

stilly
11-15-2011, 8:36 PM
Wow that is a lot of info. I did not know the Operators were so popular. I took it apart looking for its Soul but did not find it. It felt great. If I had to shoot someone I would be proud to use it as it had a TIGHT pop when it cycled and all of the mags that I put through it I ONLY had an issue with two mags jamming but it was the mags because I did not notice until too late that they had a weird piece of plastic on the bottom that did not jive with the funnel magwell that I put on it as well. but even the crappy ones taht came with it were just as good as my novaks as my Taurus mags and my 47D mags and my chip mccormick power 10 etc. I even used two TRIP rebuilt GI mags with springs and followers with no problems. That gun is awesome with ball ammo. I only need to sight it in now because it tends to shoot UP and to the right about 5 inches. I will check out those other links and read on them a bit. Thanks again!

ns3v3n
11-16-2011, 8:43 AM
I might have remembered it wrong but I have bought and sold an MC OP and I think it came with stainless mags with slam pads.

My loaded came with the same mags, no issues with them in terms of FTF/FTE, only problem is that the slam pad broke off after a month, send them in for repair and they replaced it for free. They do work, just not very durable, well at least the slam pads.

Kodachrome
11-16-2011, 4:11 PM
My TRP Operator came with a Metalform SS mag with bumper.
I usually use some of my old school Pachmyer mags. Have some 47D's for my 38 super.
Want to try some Chip's.
Happy Shooting

hatidua
11-16-2011, 4:25 PM
The Springfield "Loaded" form that comes with all the 1911's when you buy them new, allows for purchasing magazines at a discount - limit 10 pieces. I've bought close to 100 of those $9 mags now and have yet to have a single hiccup using them with any 1911 from the lowly Milspec to the Springfield Pro models, or indeed in a host of 1911's by other manufacturers.

A magazine need not be shiny like a 47D to function properly ;)

cwin
11-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I have an MC Operator and have had no problems with the factory mags after 300 rounds. I did buy a couple of 47d's for it though.

stilly
11-30-2011, 8:06 PM
The Springfield "Loaded" form that comes with all the 1911's when you buy them new, allows for purchasing magazines at a discount - limit 10 pieces. I've bought close to 100 of those $9 mags now and have yet to have a single hiccup using them with any 1911 from the lowly Milspec to the Springfield Pro models, or indeed in a host of 1911's by other manufacturers.

A magazine need not be shiny like a 47D to function properly ;)

REALLY??? Imma go look at it. Anytime I have the opportunity to order more mags for a cheap price I go for it. Thanks.

timmyb21
11-30-2011, 8:14 PM
I've got a bunch of CMCs, some Wilsons, factoy Colt, and factory SA 1911 mags and the only problem any have given me are the CMC 10 rounders in my GI 1911. They just won't feed any ammo reliably. Everything else is gravy, the factory mags that came with my MCO are still in the rotation.