PDA

View Full Version : a quieter AR15 muzzle accessory?

Socal858
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
no not a silencer:p

still working on my first build (paychecks are clearing, then purchasing m4gery upper with samson MFRS, tangodown forward toilet paper dispenser, prince50, CAR stock)

sooo . .

i will be spending time in indoor ranges (and some outdoor). i hear everyone talking about how loud some models of muzzle brake are.

out of all the accessories out there, which are the quieter ones? id rather hvae a little less boom when im in doors.

btw my builds will be fixed mag so it doesnt matter if you recommend a flash hider or a brake

thanks!

EDIT: disclaimer: i am only talking about devices that project the sound AWAY from shooter & pals, not resulting in a modification of pitch or reduction in total decibels. because that is whats legal.

Aluisious
01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Damn...I saw the title and I was going to say silencer.

IMO, isn't a target crown going to be the least noisey option for the shooter? It makes the noise go over there. Anything blowing gas out the sides will also blow noise out the sides.

naimad
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
noveke kx3 flash suppressor www.noveskerifleworks.com

bwiese
01-08-2007, 12:28 PM
My 16" carbines are loud.

The Noveske KX3 "piggy brake" would help you - sound pressure thrown forward.
It does not reduce sound, just redirects it - important legal consideration.

Socal858
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
id love to use the fire breathing pig accessory but unfortunately i dont have hte right rails, mine will be carbine length . . . maybe sometime down teh road i will grind down my FSB, trade someone for longer rails, and cut & pin my barrel wtih the KX3

megavolt121

This is a flash hider, correct?

Socal858

thanks bill!

sooo out of your 16" carbines, which accessory, besides the KX3, redirects sound the best away from you and fellow shooters

taquito971
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
You could look at the Levang linear compensator from Brownells...

Though I don't understand what part of your rifle prevents you from using the KX-3.

Brian

ARRRR-15
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I've been thinking about trying this out, though I have'nt heard much about it.

http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDtls.aspx?id=101396

Sorry Taquito971 didn't read your post before I posted.

bu-bye
01-08-2007, 1:22 PM

Though I don't understand what part of your rifle prevents you from using the KX-3.

Brian

+1
I have one on my Keltec and it works great. There is a noticeable drop in DB's when you use it. I fired 10 shots without ears (by mistake) and It didn't hurt my ears after. I didn't even notice I had forgot my ears until my buddy reminded me. I was caught in the moment of having fun bump-firing but still, normally I would have felt the pain in my ears after the first shot. I really like the Levang and found that it has not affected accuracy at all. Pulled a sub-MOA group with my SU-16CA with it on the end.

AJAX22
01-08-2007, 1:28 PM
In theory a 10 (or so) inch empty tube with a 1.5 inch or 2 inch inner diameter threaded on the end of your rifle would focus all the sound in a tight cone out the end of the gun towards the target.

I think they make something like this called a brush guard for hunting in dry areas.

of course I could be totally wrong, its happened before.

Socal858
01-08-2007, 2:11 PM

Brian

the only thing stopping me from using hte KX3 is how it would look with a lot of exposed barrel behind it. i will have a carbine/m4gery type samson rail with a ton of barrel popping out

taquito971
01-08-2007, 2:30 PM
the only thing stopping me from using hte KX3 is how it would look with a lot of exposed barrel behind it. i will have a carbine/m4gery type samson rail with a ton of barrel popping out

10-4. I think it would look fine, but looks are subjective in nature. And I don't worry about looks much. The Levang is supposed to be a good product.

Brian

Fjold
01-08-2007, 3:11 PM
10-4. I think it would look fine, but looks are subjective in nature. And I don't worry about looks much. The Levang is supposed to be a good product.

Brian

I'm going to have to look at the levang, the YHM muzzle brake that I put on is a real brake. Recoil is nothing but the noise is awesome.

megavolt121
01-08-2007, 4:43 PM
The Noveske KX3 is listed on this page (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=21) as a "Flash Suppressor".
The other ones on that same page (including the standard A2 brake) are all listed as "Flash Hiders".

Note CPC 12276.1 (1) (E) prohibits "Flash Suppressor" but makes no mention of "Flash Hider".

DOJ stated (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/fsor.pdf) back in 2000 that a "Flash Hider" was considered a "Flash Suppressor" but a "Muzzle Brake" or "Compensator" was not. They also said it doesn't matter what the product is called, only what it physically does. Note this document is the only one that mentions a "Flash Hider" anywhere on the DOJ site.

I believe SB23 revised the definition of "Flash Suppressor" to mean "any device that perceptibly reduces or redirects muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.”

Nice and clear? :p

Oh yea nice and clear [/sarcasam].
I know that the DOJ only classifies based off operation, not the naming convention. Thanks to the well written laws, I was never sure how the KX-3 is classified. I knwo it directs muzzle blast forward, but what about flash and fire? I mean techincally forward of the barrel is still in my field of vision.

Powersauce
01-08-2007, 7:42 PM
id love to use the fire breathing pig accessory but unfortunately i dont have hte right rails, mine will be carbine length . . . maybe sometime down teh road i will grind down my FSB, trade someone for longer rails, and cut & pin my barrel wtih the KX3Whats that? Sounds interesting.

pklin1297
01-08-2007, 7:45 PM
I've read several threads on ARFCOM about how loud the Levang was for their users, so maybe you should stay away from that one as well...

Wes from TenPercent posted the DNTC comp he was thinking about stocking in his store. That comp looked amazing at controlling recoil on the video on the website, and does not sound loud either according to Wes.

http://www.akconcepts.com/default.asp?page_id=174&parent_id=44

grywlfbg
01-09-2007, 12:35 AM
I'll be trying out the DNTC comp tomorrow night at my local indoor range. I'll have it side by side w/ the A2 flash hider on my other AR. Group buy going on at ar15.com - $45 shipped.

I too was impressed w/ the video of the guy one-handed firing an AR on full auto. I'm hoping it'll help me keep the rifle on target for tac rifle competition.

Chris

tenpercentfirearms
01-09-2007, 6:28 AM
I've read several threads on ARFCOM about how loud the Levang was for their users, so maybe you should stay away from that one as well...

Wes from TenPercent posted the DNTC comp he was thinking about stocking in his store. That comp looked amazing at controlling recoil on the video on the website, and does not sound loud either according to Wes.

http://www.akconcepts.com/default.asp?page_id=174&parent_id=44
This is not accurate. I have never used the DNTC so I have no idea what it sounds like. I did order some and I they will be on my website when they come in. I will probably do a flash hider/muzzle brake/fake suppressor review in the next couple of weeks sometime.

slingshot
01-09-2007, 6:55 PM
+1
I have one on my Keltec and it works great. There is a noticeable drop in DB's when you use it. I fired 10 shots without ears (by mistake) and It didn't hurt my ears after. I didn't even notice I had forgot my ears until my buddy reminded me. I was caught in the moment of having fun bump-firing but still, normally I would have felt the pain in my ears after the first shot. I really like the Levang and found that it has not affected accuracy at all. Pulled a sub-MOA group with my SU-16CA with it on the end.

Little off topic, but do US Army soldiers use any sort of ear protection, perhaps something built into the helmet?

pklin1297
01-09-2007, 8:34 PM
This is not accurate. I have never used the DNTC so I have no idea what it sounds like. I did order some and I they will be on my website when they come in. I will probably do a flash hider/muzzle brake/fake suppressor review in the next couple of weeks sometime.

Sorry Wes, it was your RRA tactical comp you shot... I was cross eyed for a moment... Looking forward to your review of the DNTC comp and possibly being your first DNTC buyer if reviews are favorable.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit...

grammaton76
01-09-2007, 8:42 PM
Little off topic, but do US Army soldiers use any sort of ear protection, perhaps something built into the helmet?

At least as of the late 80's, there were these dark green plastic earplug boxes that they carried, with dull orange rubber (double or triple flange, forgot) earplugs inside.

mltrading
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd say do not try to make any firearm "quieter" in CA.

I've read this article (http://talonownersgroup.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4414&sid=cf991556bb731c2419106affba303851) of an airgun forum. The owner of airgun silencer got trouble no matter the silencer is for airguns only.

The point is, the BATFE agents put the airgun-only silencer on a real .22 firearm and fired then found the "silencer" indeed reduce the sound level. Although the "silencer" was destroyed after several shots with a real firearm, it still meets the definition of a firearm silencer (according to BATFE agents). The judge wants to charge the owner of airgun-only silencer.

Just think about it before you do any "quietier firearm" experiments, especially we are in nazi-controlled California.......:mad:

arguy15
01-10-2007, 12:55 PM
At least as of the late 80's, there were these dark green plastic earplug boxes that they carried, with dull orange rubber (double or triple flange, forgot) earplugs inside.
For training, somtimes. For combat almost never. Being on patrol in a quiet neiborhood, you need to hear everything.

grywlfbg
01-10-2007, 1:14 PM
Update on the DNTC comp from my indoor range session last night. In a confined space (my local range only has 3 rifle lanes separate from the pistol lines so it's a pretty small space), I deem the noise to be the same as the A2 flash hider on my fixed mag rifle (but due to the size of the space may not mean anything). Recoil feels the same but it's more linear (rifle doesn't try to "climb" like it does w/ the A2 hider).

I'll be out at Chabot doing rifle PPC this wkend and will chime back in on outdoor performance.

In all I deem the DNTC to be a better "compensator" than the A2 hider - I find I can return to target more quickly than w/ the A2 hider.

I may put the RRA tactical brake onto my fixed mag build and compare the two (or I'll just wait for Wes to do it :D ).

One benefit of the DNTC (and all brakes I guess) is that it works like a built-in crown guard for feeding cleaning rods into the muzzle. However I have a problem as I also use a bore snake and the tip gets hung up in the brake to the point I have to use needle nose pliers to get it to feed.

Chris

tgriffin
04-10-2007, 6:54 PM
Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but im looking to purchase one of these. Anyone have further comment on the Linear Compensator?

12voltguy
02-11-2011, 9:31 AM
The Noveske KX3 is listed on this page (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=21) as a "Flash Suppressor".
The other ones on that same page (including the standard A2 brake) are all listed as "Flash Hiders".

Note CPC 12276.1 (1) (E) prohibits "Flash Suppressor" but makes no mention of "Flash Hider".

DOJ stated (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/fsor.pdf) back in 2000 that a "Flash Hider" was considered a "Flash Suppressor" but a "Muzzle Brake" or "Compensator" was not. They also said it doesn't matter what the product is called, only what it physically does. Note this document is the only one that mentions a "Flash Hider" anywhere on the DOJ site.

I believe SB23 revised the definition of "Flash Suppressor" to mean "any device that perceptibly reduces or redirects muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.”

Nice and clear? :p

ATF says the piggy is a "Flash Suppressor"
so don't try it on a featurless build

Merc1138
02-11-2011, 9:39 AM
Holy zombie thread batman!