PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles County Sheriff accepting applications for DST.

BigKevLA
07-25-2011, 3:23 PM
L.A.S.D is now accepting applications for Deputy Sheriff Trainee as of today. Go to their web site if your interested.

I submitted mines.:cool2:

Ron-Solo
07-25-2011, 5:31 PM
That's good news. I had heard they have three classes scheduled for the new fiscal year. Not a lot compared to when they used to have three classes going at a time.

Good luck. I recently retired from LASD after 32 years.

socalblue
07-25-2011, 6:01 PM
Nephew is waiting for his background to clear. Hopefully it happens in time to get into one of the classes.

BigKevLA
07-25-2011, 7:05 PM
Wow 3 classes at a time. How many would be in a class?

Samuelx
07-25-2011, 8:09 PM
The one for next month is rumored to be around 80ish, with 20 or so of them being recruits for participating (non-LASD) agencies. IIRC, during our last big hiring push, most of our classes started out 100+...

Jonathan Doe
07-25-2011, 8:57 PM
When I was an instructor at the weapons training unit, some classes had about 150 recruits. They had 6 - 9 classes or more per year at times. There were some classes that I had over 20 recruits by myself, It was almost like a nightmare. Now, they have doubled the number of instructors since.

retired
07-26-2011, 1:03 AM
Hey, maybe I'll just have to apply.;)

Jonathan Doe
07-26-2011, 6:40 AM
Hey, maybe I'll just have to apply.;)

Maybe you can come back as a 120 day hire back. Nah!!! You gotta enjoy your retirement. :)

The Bacon Eater
07-26-2011, 1:40 PM
Im still paying off the last of my credit issues now and graduate in December. I will be ready for the next hiring cycle.:)

Unleash
07-26-2011, 1:46 PM
I went and was about to apply because my sister and her husband are deputies but when I saw the application it said you have to be 19 & 1/2 and I turn 19 in 2 weeks. This blows but I'm going to call and see if I can atleast get my application on file

Ron-Solo
07-26-2011, 8:01 PM
Hey Retired, I think we should just go on black Monday and just mess with recruits. ;)

retired
07-27-2011, 3:30 PM
Hey Retired, I think we should just go on black Monday and just mess with recruits. ;)

Are you suggesting that because you don't think I will pass the application process.:D

Hmmm.........mess with the recruits; now that could be fun.:whistling:

Ron-Solo
07-27-2011, 3:45 PM
Are you suggesting that because you don't think I will pass the application process.:D

Hmmm.........mess with the recruits; now that could be fun.:whistling:

Naw....... We both told old and ornery to put up with the mind games, but we could have some fun. :D

BigKevLA
08-03-2011, 3:37 PM
Scheduled for the written on August 13th.

TrailerparkTrash
08-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Naw....... We both told old and ornery to put up with the mind games, but we could have some fun. :D
No, the dept's "core values" says you can't make fun of anybody anymore... :eek::eek::eek:

Ron-Solo
08-04-2011, 1:43 AM
No, the dept's "core values" says you can't make fun of anybody anymore... :eek::eek::eek:

I worked with a lieutenant, now retired, who had the cove values and mission statement printed on toilet paper. He said that was where he did his best thinking.......

I'm retired, so the POE no longer applies to me. :party:

Bobby Ricigliano
08-04-2011, 4:54 AM
Ahh Black Monday....fun to watch on Youtube... not fun when you are a recruit. Confusion, chaos, and everyone's briefcases getting kicked across the grinder like footballs. Good times...

phantomson9
08-04-2011, 8:09 PM
I'm taking the test next Saturday. Anyone else?

Samuelx
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
If anyone needs to drop by the emporium or otherwise visit campus, I think this Monday morning might be a good time... ;)

Ashgrove07
08-06-2011, 1:17 AM
This upcoming monday the 8th? at 7am right? I might just go and check it out! should be fun :D

emvampyre
08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
This upcoming monday the 8th? at 7am right? I might just go and check it out! should be fun :D

Yeah, it's been a long time since the County had a real "Black Monday" with a class full of DST's. I might have to swing by to watch too!

Bobby Ricigliano
08-07-2011, 4:48 AM
Does the RTS object to folks showing up to watch Black Monday? I'd love to see that (again)...

Samuelx
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
You know I'm not sure (which means I probably spoke out of turn there). We haven't had a decent sized class in awhile and I haven't been around for the last bunch of Day 1's so I'm not sure if they are running things the same...

retired
08-07-2011, 5:36 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that I live so far away from the academy, I would love to be there that first day. I could use some big laughs, but I'd have to rent a room someplace nearby to make it at that time.:D

Perhaps it will find its way on You Tube and I can just laugh at home.;)

Ron-Solo
08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
At one point they sent out a JDIC that they didn't want people hanging out because it got too distracting. Black Monday watching became popular when the show "The Academy" was aired.

It was fun to watch.

Samuelx
08-08-2011, 7:34 AM
Guys, I apologize - FUD. Black Monday is next week and is more like Gray Monday now. Nothing like the youtube video and no filming allowed, didn't get final word on kibitzing (probably wouldn't be worth the drive anyway)...

Samuelx
08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
JFYI, standing orders are no kibitzing (spectating) - directly involved personnel only...

Code3TacticalGear.com
08-12-2011, 1:46 PM
Our LASD Academy class #374 was one of the last ones before the hiring freeze. We had over 120 recruits. Good luck if you are in the process.

retired
08-12-2011, 6:48 PM
Our LASD Academy class #374 was one of the last ones before the hiring freeze. We had over 120 recruits. Good luck if you are in the process.

OMG, Class #374:eek: I was #180 in the middle of the summer. We were in one of two portable classrooms at Biscauliz. The air conditioning at the rear where the DIs sat always worked and the AC for the cadets always failed after lunch every single day mysteriously. Ah, the good old days.:D

Ron-Solo
08-12-2011, 8:09 PM
Class 190 here.........

Retired, we had air conditioning too.......it was called November. It didn't work at all in August. :D

Samuelx
08-12-2011, 8:41 PM
Class 190 here.........

Retired, we had air conditioning too.......it was called November. It didn't work at all in August. :D

hahahahaha

jfyi, current class is # 385 and I'll have to remember to check and see how high employee numbers are now...

Ron-Solo
08-12-2011, 10:15 PM
hahahahaha

jfyi, current class is # 385 and I'll have to remember to check and see how high employee numbers are now...

Mine was 004XXX. :cool:

retired
08-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Everyone in my class had the first three as 105xxx. Mine was 104xxx because I was a part time county employee prior to being hired as a cadet.

I don't recall the reason why they returned to 00 numbers to begin the employee number.

BigKevLA
08-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Written passed. Oral interview tomorrow.

retired
08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Written passed. Oral interview tomorrow.

Congratulations! They conduct interviews on Sundays now.:eek:

phantomson9
08-13-2011, 1:48 PM
My oral is tomorrow was well! Good luck bigkev!

BigKevLA
08-15-2011, 11:23 PM
The Sheriff has the fastest process I've ever seen!
From application to Background interview in less than a month!

Bobby Ricigliano
08-16-2011, 1:01 AM
The Sheriff has the fastest process I've ever seen!
From application to Background interview in less than a month!

Your results may vary, but I did the application turn in, written test, and oral interview all on the first day. I started the academy 14 months later. I hope it is faster for you.

DavidRSA
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
How did you guys get your notification to take the written? I submitted my application online and the status today is simply "referred to examination process".

I hope the notification is via email since I am away from home and not getting US mail right now.

Jonathan Doe
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
OMG, Class #374:eek: I was #180 in the middle of the summer. We were in one of two portable classrooms at Biscauliz. The air conditioning at the rear where the DIs sat always worked and the AC for the cadets always failed after lunch every single day mysteriously. Ah, the good old days.:D

Class 190 here.........

You guys are old and must use a cane for walking or something. Or, did you ride a horse to go to a call? :D

Clsss 234, 1986, here. I am newer and fresher. :) 1,307 days and 15 minutes (3 years 6 months and 29 days) to go to join you gentlemen in the rank of retired.

BigKevLA
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Testing notification comes via good ol snail mail.

DavidRSA
08-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Testing notification comes via good ol snail mail.

Hi Big Kev.... any idea how much time I would still have to respond to mine? I am back in LA on sunday....

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

BigKevLA
08-16-2011, 1:55 PM
It will have your test date and time on the notice.

BigKevLA
08-16-2011, 1:57 PM
I just received a phone call informing me that the VPAT has been cancelled until further notice. I was scheduled for tomorrow morning. On to background interview next week.

phantomson9
08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Just got a call to tell me my vpat is canceled too. I wonder why?

BoJackUSMC
08-17-2011, 4:31 PM
Me too, but they told me my background investigator meeting is good to go. I wonder why they cancelled the vpat????
Hope nothing bad happens to all of us.

phantomson9
08-17-2011, 5:39 PM
According to the person I talked to the are just moving the vpat to later in the process.

BoJackUSMC
08-17-2011, 5:43 PM
Is this mean our written test and oral boards are still good?
The lady I talked to told me that I will be getting my results in the mail, but I already received the results the day I took those test.

phantomson9
08-17-2011, 7:47 PM
Well your background interview is still scheduled right? So your still moving forward. Who knows what's going on. Just keep positive.

capo
08-17-2011, 8:10 PM
Here is how stupid I am. When I was 21 (IIRC) I tested for it. I blasted through testing and got to my backgrounds. At the time I was a at like 25% BF. You have to be at 22% to get into the academy. My background investigator said she would continue my application because I was just over the limit and she said the background and the rest of the process would still take another 6 - 10 months.

Well, from start to finish...initial written test, to the day I sat down with the shrink and also had medical it took me 6 months total. The shrink said, and I quote "Capo, thank you for coming down here to talk to me, you are going to make an outstanding law enforcement officer!" Later that day, medical...and I was like 1.5% over BF. I got a letter stating I was DQ'd but had 18 months to lose that teeny bit of weight, and then I would be slotted for the academy.

I was like "ehh, oh well..."

Dumb****ingidiot21yearoldretard.

Could have been on for almost ten years now, lol...

EBWhite
08-17-2011, 8:29 PM

Too bad, the new brass thinks that a non-stress academy suits the new boots better.....They keep flip flopping. I was scared as hell going into my "stress" academy but looking back on it, I would hope for nothing but that. They new guys are really going to get screwed with the college like, no stressful environment. :chris:

EBWhite
08-17-2011, 8:31 PM
BTW a tip for people taking the psych. Do not make gun ownership a big deal, etc. The psychs will DQ people who own excessive guns or have CCW or progun ideas. Its too bad, many on the dept love guns but the liberal psychs will not let you through the process. My best advice is transfer guns to a parent if you own a lot of stuff...

DavidRSA
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Did my written yesterday (56/60) and PIQ. The PIQ was much less detailed than SDPD one I did, 10 pages as opposed to something like 70 pages. Oral Board today which went well. On to background process in about 6 weeks. Got an exercise regimen printout from them along with the background paperwork so it looks like the VPAT will be sometime after the background.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-29-2011, 12:13 AM
What is a VPAT?

Gnome
08-30-2011, 4:40 AM
Glad to hear the department is hiring again. One of my new LTs just got promoted out of Headquarters (go figure). She told some of us that the Dept. is looking to hire anywhere from 500-600 DST by the new year!

Academy classes are supossed to be at full steam come new year. From her lips to Baca's ears. My sincere wish is that everyone who makes an academy, successfully completes it. Then they can fill in behind me, and I can get my @ss to patrol and start earning my paycheck.

I've been stuck in Custody for a little over five years now. No extensions, and have in for a Region 2 station. The kicker? I would be out to every station in Region 2, except the one I have in for. Oh, and several of my classmates are already out to my station, and off training. Nice. FML. :banghead:

So, to those that have applied, I wish you nothing but the best of luck. Albeit for my own selfish reasons;)

And if you are fortunate enough to make an academy, here's some free advice (take it for what it's worth) to help you through...

Just make a decision! Any decision! And stick with it. Right or wrong.