PDA

View Full Version : Question for CHP

PositiveInfluence
07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Or any other LEO's that know what is happening.

So my car had trouble passing smog, and therefor has yet to get its new shiny registration stickers. The registration is paid for, just has yet to get re-smogged since I fixed the issue myself(I hope).

I was driving to work this morning and looked behind me to see a motorcycle CHP Officer closing in on my tail and knew that I was most likely getting pulled over, but alas he just stayed there a few seconds them merged over and went past me. Now, I am happy that I didn't get pulled over and all that junk but I am curious to know if when he ran my vehicle it comes back as current registration or what.

Any info would be great.

rgray
07-25-2011, 12:48 PM
While you have paid your fees, your registration is not current. If he ran your plate, it would show fees paid. You may still be cited for not having current reg tabs. Once you get the vehicle smogged and DMV receives the digital notice, they will send you your current reg and tabs.

PositiveInfluence
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Guess I got lucky then. I am trying to get it in by the end of the week.

Ron-Solo
07-25-2011, 3:05 PM
While you have paid your fees, your registration is not current. If he ran your plate, it would show fees paid. You may still be cited for not having current reg tabs. Once you get the vehicle smogged and DMV receives the digital notice, they will send you your current reg and tabs.

This is accurate info!

Roddd
07-26-2011, 4:25 PM
How long has it been expired? If it's longer than 6 months, your car can be impounded, even though you paid your fees. Good luck with smog, our smog laws are about as good as our gun laws.

TheForce02
07-26-2011, 4:34 PM
You may still be cited for not having current reg tabs.

4000a1 still applies. The vehicle is not registered until complete.

Sounds like you just need to go to the DMV to be done, but next time get a temp. registration tag from the DMV. They are those red papers with a white number(month) on them.

E Pluribus Unum
07-26-2011, 4:49 PM

This is accurate info!

The part in bold is not correct.

When smog is required, and that smog is not obtained before the expiration of the current registration, current tags will not be mailed once the smog is obtained. One must go into the DMV where tags will be issued.

Current tags are mailed out when all fees, smogs, and proof of insurance are on file at the conclusion of one registration period. If anything is a miss at that time, tags must be obtained in person.

OP:
Last I heard, tags are on hold. The California legislature is trying to drastically increase reg fees. As a result, no new tags are being mailed out. That is probably why he did not run your tags. There are a lot of people driving around with July/Aug tags that are stuck in this limbo.

34marine
07-26-2011, 4:52 PM
4000a1 still applies. The vehicle is not registered until complete.

Sounds like you just need to go to the DMV to be done, but next time get a temp. registration tag from the DMV. They are those red papers with a white number(month) on them.

Yup, good info, but in my area, people make fraudulant temp stickers, so you may still get stopped. Of course on inspection of ligitimacy, I'd would of course give a verbal, just hope that there aren't any other violations on you car.

TheForce02
07-27-2011, 5:36 AM
OP:
Last I heard, tags are on hold. The California legislature is trying to drastically increase reg fees. As a result, no new tags are being mailed out. That is probably why he did not run your tags. There are a lot of people driving around with July/Aug tags that are stuck in this limbo.

Tags are being mailed out.