PDA

View Full Version : PO Boxes on drivers license's? Other private options?

Danz la Nuit
07-25-2011, 9:00 AM
I have recently noticed that more & more people seem to be listing PO boxes on their drivers license's (have to check ID's @ my work)

Here is the question; does anyone know of any privately run mailbox companies out here in CA that serve the same function as having a PO Box? (I would prefer to support a private company instead of the federal govt.).

Assuming I find a private company that offers this mailbox service am I correct in assuming that it would be okay to list it on a drivers license?

Can anyone recommend a company out here in CA? I have never used such a company before but I have been doing some reading on how to increase your personal privacy without going off the grid into the trees lol.

Some of the reading talks about how many of these companies will "forward" your mail that comes to their box, so that you don't actually have to constantly drive to their location to check your mail.

Danz la Nuit
07-25-2011, 9:11 AM
Found

http://www.postalannex.com/services/private_mailbox_rental.html

any other companies I should compare?

prc104
07-25-2011, 1:30 PM
UPS Store

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Yugo
07-25-2011, 1:35 PM
its called physical address mail box NOT PO BOX

tom2
07-25-2011, 4:22 PM
Mailbox Express

http://www.mbe.com/Pages/home.aspx

G-forceJunkie
07-25-2011, 6:51 PM
I plan on doing the same thing. My reasoning is if I loose my wallet, or get mugged, i dont want anyone else to have my home address. Along with the gunrelated cards in there, it would be a tip off there are guns in my home, come steal them. On a related note, does anyone know if California will issue a DL (to a po box) and a Ca I.D. card (with my home address) to the same person so I can use the I.D. to purchase firearms?

nick
07-25-2011, 6:58 PM
I have recently noticed that more & more people seem to be listing PO boxes on their drivers license's (have to check ID's @ my work)

Here is the question; does anyone know of any privately run mailbox companies out here in CA that serve the same function as having a PO Box? (I would prefer to support a private company instead of the federal govt.).

Assuming I find a private company that offers this mailbox service am I correct in assuming that it would be okay to list it on a drivers license?

Can anyone recommend a company out here in CA? I have never used such a company before but I have been doing some reading on how to increase your personal privacy without going off the grid into the trees lol.

Some of the reading talks about how many of these companies will "forward" your mail that comes to their box, so that you don't actually have to constantly drive to their location to check your mail.

Drive around your neighborhood and you'll likely find 5-10 of them. Theyr'e everywhere. If you see a company that offers shipping services (UPS/Fedex/USPS), chances are they also have mailboxes for rent.

Jonathan Doe
07-25-2011, 9:01 PM
I have seen some addresses of private mail boxes that look like apartment addresses, such as 123 Broadway St. #101, City, CA XXXXX. No one would know if it was mail box address. Many of them also forward the mail to a forwarding address.

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2011, 9:12 PM
Back in the late 80's, when I was finishing my senior project at Poly, I decided to live out of a motorhome for a while and use my rent money to help finance my project. I ended up needing to renew my DL and DMV said that I could only use a PO box IF I gave them a physical address. They said that they would be happy with something like "the 500 block of Main street". I told them I don't park in the same town always let alone the same block. I also argued that a DL was a license to drive and I was carrying 100K/300K insurance, had a clean driving record, am a native Californian, have always paid Ca. state income taxes and was not going to impose on someone else by asking to use their address. In the end, a stupidvisor finally pulled out a canned affidavit and had me sign it stating that I did not have a permantent address. So, I know that DMV does not like to do it because, big brother wants to know where you are at all times but, it is or was possible to only use a PO box and not give the state any other address.

Those were the days. I was able to party anywhere I wanted and I never had to drive home afterwards.

Bigtwin
07-25-2011, 9:54 PM
Back in the late 80's, when I was finishing my senior project at Poly, I decided to live out of a motorhome for a while and use my rent money to help finance my project. I ended up needing to renew my DL and DMV said that I could only use a PO box IF I gave them a physical address. They said that they would be happy with something like "the 500 block of Main street". I told them I don't park in the same town always let alone the same block. I also argued that a DL was a license to drive and I was carrying 100K/300K insurance, had a clean driving record, am a native Californian, have always paid Ca. state income taxes and was not going to impose on someone else by asking to use their address. In the end, a stupidvisor finally pulled out a canned affidavit and had me sign it stating that I did not have a permantent address. So, I know that DMV does not like to do it because, big brother wants to know where you are at all times but, it is or was possible to only use a PO box and not give the state any other address.

Those were the days. I was able to party anywhere I wanted and I never had to drive home afterwards.

Funny you say this my uncle has "lived" out of his fifth wheel for some time.(retired and from what I can tell loving it). He had a problem with Ca DMV wanting his physical address, he told them it was parked right out side!
Shortly after that confusion from the CA DMV , he simply went to Arizona and all was well.
Good job CA for not getting the revenue, now a different state has it...and cheaper for him.

CA dmv could have had the money but they wanted an address that did not exist.

jeep7081
07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
delete

ironcross
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM

It's smart to have a P.O. Box listed on the card. Reasons as follow: Wallet stolen/lost, shady people who check your CID/CDL, if you live in a apartment complex and don't trust people who have spare keys/prone to mail theft, ETC.

My complex has 4 locked sections for mail that once unlocked you have access to all the boxes of that section. We've had thefts before.

Ex:
http://www.xpblocker.com/images/vertical%20mailbox%206%20door%20surface%20mounted. jpg

A guy I knew had used a Mailbox ETC to get an Arizona DL. He had told me that the address looked like an apartment address and they issued him an AZ DL.

Mailbox ETC EX:

John Doe
1234 Any Street Suite 123
Any City, CA Zip

I plan on doing the same thing. My reasoning is if I loose my wallet, or get mugged, i dont want anyone else to have my home address. Along with the gunrelated cards in there, it would be a tip off there are guns in my home, come steal them. On a related note, does anyone know if California will issue a DL (to a po box) and a Ca I.D. card (with my home address) to the same person so I can use the I.D. to purchase firearms?

Yes, if you don't already have a CID you can go apply for one and put the same address for the section of Mailing and Physical addresses and confirm it with the DMV clerk that is what you want to be read on the card.

If you already have a CID you'll have to wait till you need to renew.

Same applies for CDL.

sima09
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Montana Mail
1112 Montana Ave Ste 3
Santa Monica, CA 90403

BEST place ever! Have had a box there for years and the owner is hillarioussssssss (and a gun owner!)

Other advantage is that it is technically a street address (but you have your own personal mail box) so you don't get any issues with some companies that say they won't ship to PO Boxes.

PS Tell the owner Sima sent you (his name is Garo) :)

oldmotor
07-27-2011, 10:31 AM
I use work address

CapnHawk
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
CDL - USPS P.O. Box
CID - Physical (home) address

I've had this set-up for quite awhile and it works nicely.

TrailerparkTrash
07-31-2011, 2:16 AM
I had on just one or two instances where I stopped a car for some vehicle code violation and contacted the driver. I noticed that their CDL had a P.O. BOX listed instead of a home address. For whatever reason, if a ticket was necessary (i hate writing tickets generally) I'd ask the driver for his/her "real" street address, just to see where the contact was gonna go. This one time, the driver said something to the effect of "You're not getting my real address, that's why I have a P.O. Box!!" and... "don't you have anything else better to do!!!?" Well, out came my pen because a "warning" apparantly just wouldn't do. :D:D Time for "letter of the law" enforcement....

The driver in that case didn't realize that cops have the EASY capability of getting the "real" address on our little MDT (police car computer) with just the stroke of one key.

So when I returned to her car with a cite in hand, she about flipped out when she saw that I had used her "real" home address on the ticket and not her PO Box. ;);)

freonr22
07-31-2011, 2:31 AM
politely, for a vc infraction, what difference does it make to force her to tell you her address?
i am wondering what purpose it serves for your stop? i do learn new things every day to be sure. just kinda missing it in this case, politely.

ironcross
07-31-2011, 3:30 AM
I had on just one or two instances where I stopped a car for some vehicle code violation and contacted the driver. I noticed that their CDL had a P.O. BOX listed instead of a home address. For whatever reason, if a ticket was necessary (i hate writing tickets generally) I'd ask the driver for his/her "real" street address, just to see where the contact was gonna go. This one time, the driver said something to the effect of "You're not getting my real address, that's why I have a P.O. Box!!" and... "don't you have anything else better to do!!!?" Well, out came my pen because a "warning" apparantly just wouldn't do. :D Time for "letter of the law" enforcement....

The driver in that case didn't realize that cops have the EASY capability of getting the "real" address on our little MDT (police car computer) with just the stroke of one key.

So when I returned to her car with a cite in hand, she about flipped out when she saw that I had used her "real" home address on the ticket and not her PO Box. ;);)

:chris: You don't have anything better to do :p

Yeah, a push of the button on either you're radio either PTT on primary "Whats the listed RO address?" or a click to Inquiry or few clicks on the MDC.

Yeah, me personally I rather have anything official either a cite or my reg go to my PO rather then my Apt... Too many mail thefts.

Back when I was a minor, was stopped VC 21212(a) (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21212.htm) believe it or not on my way getting a new one... He didn't say anything about the PO, even though I was the only one with a CID and the others had middle school ID's and he requested addresses from them.

It was kind of funny how he filled out the cite looking at it today. LOL (Ill scan you a copy if you want a laugh)

I asked the Deputy what the fine would be and he said "How should I know, I just give them out." Per VC 21212 first offense is a warning/court dismiss.

Funny though, the two Deputies that stopped me, today would say “In the old days, my partner and I used to bust kids all the time for not wearing helmets, but today the kids won’t wear them, the parents don’t care if they don’t wear them or they won’t buy the kids a helmet, and even if they do they won’t make the kids wear them.”

:D

G-forceJunkie
07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
One thing I noticed today, if you own a house in your name in LA county, thats public record. A simple google search of your name and city will pull up your (and all your neighbors) addresses. This somewhat thwarts my idea to only carry a CADL with a post office box on it so if it is stolen or lost, my home address would not be know to them. I guess I'll have to get a post office box in a different city.CDL - USPS P.O. Box
CID - Physical (home) address

I've had this set-up for quite awhile and it works nicely.

jeep7081
07-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I had on just one or two instances where I stopped a car for some vehicle code violation and contacted the driver. I noticed that their CDL had a P.O. BOX listed instead of a home address. For whatever reason, if a ticket was necessary (i hate writing tickets generally) I'd ask the driver for his/her "real" street address, just to see where the contact was gonna go. This one time, the driver said something to the effect of "You're not getting my real address, that's why I have a P.O. Box!!" and... "don't you have anything else better to do!!!?" Well, out came my pen because a "warning" apparantly just wouldn't do. :D:D Time for "letter of the law" enforcement....

One thing I noticed today, if you own a house in your name in LA county, thats public record. A simple google search of your name and city will pull up your (and all your neighbors) addresses. This somewhat thwarts my idea to only carry a CADL with a post office box on it so if it is stolen or lost, my home address would not be know to them. I guess I'll have to get a post office box in a different city.

Best to just get a "mail box etc" type box and put "ste or apt" on it. No one knows any different.

sumdood
07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Any reason to even have a CDL when this mail box thing should work in other cities? Like, say Phoenix?

TrailerparkTrash
07-31-2011, 2:42 PM
politely, for a vc infraction, what difference does it make to force her to tell you her address?
i am wondering what purpose it serves for your stop? i do learn new things every day to be sure. just kinda missing it in this case, politely.
I understand your question. I was just making a point that some people think a PO Box gives complete privacy. In the case of having your I.D. lost/stolen, it does protect one's privacy. The bad guy can't come to your house and have his/her way with your stuff. On the other hand, PO Boxes don't offer complete privacy. Actually, nothing does. I was just going off on a tangent of a funny memory of mine regarding PO Boxes and how one person incorrectly thought that "not even the police will have my home address" mentality.

I agree with others here that it's wise to have either a POB or a mail boxes etc... type address instead of your actual home address on your Cal I.D or CDL. Vehicle registration alternate address is also very important to help protect your privacy.

:):):)

Danz la Nuit
07-31-2011, 3:01 PM

I don't understand...

If I change my address on my drivers license to a private mail box & then move, how would local law enforcement have any idea where my "real" home address is...?

jeep7081
07-31-2011, 3:45 PM
I don't understand...

If I change my address on my drivers license to a private mail box & then move, how would local law enforcement have any idea where my "real" home address is...?

Good question.

Personally, everything goes to my private box (not usps po box) from registration, CDL, cell phone bill, bank statement, etc. Everything.

SVT-40
07-31-2011, 4:32 PM
I don't understand...

Company secret......

Don't ask because we wont tell..:TFH::TFH:

Danz la Nuit
07-31-2011, 6:59 PM
Company secret......

Don't ask because we wont tell..:TFH::TFH:

Yeah... so the answer is that local LEO's would NOT know. Got it.

Triad
07-31-2011, 7:31 PM

In bold.

Am I the only one that caught that?

LOL

jeep7081
08-01-2011, 4:57 PM
In bold.

LOL

Nope :D

TrailerparkTrash
08-01-2011, 6:07 PM
Good question.

Personally, everything goes to my private box (not usps po box) from registration, CDL, cell phone bill, bank statement, etc. Everything.
Actually, you're correct. I was refering to an incident many years ago, where the motorist had a PO Box on her CDL, but the DMV REQUIRES a hard address. For her, it was her home address.

In the event that a person uses a work address, or a mail boxes etc address as their officical "residencial address," the DMV will not know the difference. But, PO Boxes may be used as "mailing addresses" but the DMV requires another permanent address. In the patrol car MDT's (computers), it shows both address that the driver placed on his/her DMV CDL application.

Hope that explains it.

TrailerparkTrash
08-01-2011, 6:09 PM
In bold.

LOL
"Politely" :confused::confused::confused: Huh??? What's the problem with that? You're not nit-picking are you???

retired
08-01-2011, 8:36 PM
"Politely" :confused::confused::confused: Huh??? What's the problem with that? You're not nit-picking are you???

I am sure he will explain it, but I took it to mean that he was joking, not nit-picking. If I had thought otherwise, I would have deleted his post.;):)

freonr22
08-01-2011, 9:19 PM
BTW I was sincere in my question, and I did have some emotion behind it, BUT wanted to be more educated AND keep my ego in check. I am aware sometimes inflection does not comes across through the keyboard. i do appreciate the further explanation and am enlighted because of it ;-)

ironcross
08-02-2011, 1:23 AM
I don't understand...

Actually, you're correct. I was referring to an incident many years ago, where the motorist had a PO Box on her CDL, but the DMV REQUIRES a hard address. For her, it was her home address.

In the event that a person uses a work address, or a mail boxes etc address as their official "residential address," the DMV will not know the difference. But, PO Boxes may be used as "mailing addresses" but the DMV requires another permanent address. In the patrol car MDT's (computers), it shows both address that the driver placed on his/her DMV CDL application.

Hope that explains it.

DTOMSD:When you applied for a CDL/CID on DMV form DL-44, which is used for both CDL and CID.

DL-44 requires;

A) Physical Address (Your APT or House address).
B) Mailing Address (Where you would like your DMV mail to be sent to which is listed on the card).

As trailerparktrash stated. When LE runs your CDL/CID number via MDC or Inquiry and even dispatch for a TS. They can get your Physical Address if needed. As LE needs a Dispo code for the inquiry helps on illegally using the system. As a SDPD Officer down in Southern Division was caught giving info from his MDC's to cartel. As the red flags, No Dispo code, Log's of the NCIC access from their vehicle it didn't mesh with the dispatchers console log's. Lets just say that officer is in prison.

Also it does give somewhat of privacy as the bad guys don't have a straight shot to your house.

Danz la Nuit
08-02-2011, 10:42 AM
DTOMSD:When you applied for a CDL/CID on DMV form DL-44, which is used for both CDL and CID.

DL-44 requires;

A) Physical Address (Your APT or House address).
B) Mailing Address (Where you would like your DMV mail to be sent to which is listed on the card).

As trailerparktrash stated. When LE runs your CDL/CID number via MDC or Inquiry and even dispatch for a TS. They can get your Physical Address if needed. As LE needs a Dispo code for the inquiry helps on illegally using the system. As a SDPD Officer down in Southern Division was caught giving info from his MDC's to cartel. As the red flags, No Dispo code, Log's of the NCIC access from their vehicle it didn't mesh with the dispatchers console log's. Lets just say that officer is in prison.

Also it does give somewhat of privacy as the bad guys don't have a straight shot to your house.

Does DMV require a utility bill or anything these days? Or can you just update your address to w/e you want?