PDA

View Full Version : Blocking your caller ID... Doesn't always work...

Danz la Nuit
07-25-2011, 8:49 AM
I have my cell number "blocked" so that it shows as "private" or "unknown" when I call people.

Yet, when I call my ISP or my bank the automatic phone systems are able to see right through the "block" and instantly know the number I am calling from.

I have always been curious as to what device/technology these companies are using to rip my caller ID off...

Any LEO's or anyone else know much about this?

I know I have had plenty of LEO's give me call backs from blocked/private number cell phones so I am guessing they are in the same boat.

ankyle62
07-25-2011, 8:52 AM
If you have a smart phone I would suggest getting a google voice number to strictly use for private calls if you feel that your personal line's number may be compromised.

Danz la Nuit
07-25-2011, 8:54 AM
If you have a smart phone I would suggest getting a google voice number to strictly use for private calls if you feel that your personal line's number may be compromised.

I do have a google voice number, I am just curious about the technology involved with caller ID, blocking it, & unblocking it.

MaHoTex
07-25-2011, 9:08 AM
It is a program which strips the bits from the caller ID which marks it as private and then rebuilds the datastream without the data indicating it is private. After this script is run, it puts the data back onto the call and presto... you get to see who is calling. Oh, and you could also have a little note that indicates the original caller tried to hide their Caller ID info. Neat huh?

Danz la Nuit
07-25-2011, 9:10 AM
It is a program which strips the bits from the caller ID which marks it as private and then rebuilds the datastream without the data indicating it is private. After this script is run, it puts the data back onto the call and presto... you get to see who is calling. Oh, and you could also have a little note that indicates the original caller tried to hide their Caller ID info. Neat huh?

This tech must be cheap, my buddy just told me that his Veterinarian office uses it... lol wtf

kemasa
07-25-2011, 9:21 AM
If you are calling a toll free number (800, 888, etc.) you can not block your caller-id as that is part of the service that they are paying for.

MaHoTex
07-25-2011, 9:28 AM
Go do a google search for "TrapCall"... I do not know about the legality of all of this though. Kevin Mitnick has talked about this before. I did not know that 888/800 numbers get it for free... Wow...