PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Pin Assembly Tip!

FUSE
01-07-2007, 9:35 PM
Following the guide over on http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

At first I thought I would have to get that pivot pin tool because it seemed impossible to get it in without it! After playing around with some tools in my tool box I came up with this idea and it worked like a charm, with no special tool needed! (Just an Allen key) Hope this helps people out with installs if you're having trouble.

Installing the pivot pin (This is perhaps the hardest part of the lower assembly, so if available, install the installation tool.)

If you do not have an installation tool, I found it usefull to stick a decent sized allen key through the holes and use the end of the key to fill up the hole. This makes it easier to use your thumb to push down on the detent spring without it popping in the holes when you press down (it gives it a back). Once you get it down far enough push the allen key all the way through and it will hold the spring and detent in place. Then take the pivot pin and line it up flush against the end of the allen key and carefully push the pin over the detent and spring. Twist the pin so it locks in the groove and you are done! No special tools required! :D

-FUSE-

Aluisious
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I just put the detent pin in by hand, and then used one of my punches, slid the opposite way through the holes where the pivot pin goes, to hold it in place. Then I pushed out the punch with the pivot pin.

762cavalier
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
i used a 1/4 inch clevis pin. works just like the tool. then push clevis pin out with pivot pin

Scarecrow Repair
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I did it once with a whittled down dowel with a hole drilled thru it, once in the first try by hand with no tool, and once with a flat bladed jeweler's screwdriver (ie, very thin) coming thru the lower receiver to hold the detent in while I put the pivot pin on top and then pulled the screwdriver out. That was the least nerve racking.

James R.
01-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I did it once with a whittled down dowel with a hole drilled thru it, once in the first try by hand with no tool, and once with a flat bladed jeweler's screwdriver (ie, very thin) coming thru the lower receiver to hold the detent in while I put the pivot pin on top and then pulled the screwdriver out. That was the least nerve racking.

I put that thing in using an x-acto knife. You put in the spring, put in the detent...then push it all the way down using the side of the blade. Move the pivot pin into place, slide out the blade...SNAP you're done. I'm amazed they make a special tool for such a simple task. Now removing the bolt catch, that's another story...had to make my own custom punch for that today. If you don't mind bashing up your receiver have at it. Otherwise you can make a nice tool out of an allen wrench and a little time with a dremel sanding wheel.

Regards,

James R.

madjack956
01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I use a feeler gauge..

zrunr
01-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I put that thing in using an x-acto knife. You put in the spring, put in the detent...then push it all the way down using the side of the blade. Move the pivot pin into place, slide out the blade...SNAP you're done. I'm amazed they make a special tool for such a simple task. Now removing the bolt catch, that's another story...had to make my own custom punch for that today. If you don't mind bashing up your receiver have at it. Otherwise you can make a nice tool out of an allen wrench and a little time with a dremel sanding wheel.

Regards,

James R.

I like the x-acto knife idea. I just wish I tried it before spending about a hour getting that detent in. It was not a simple task for me.

five.five-six
01-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I use a molex plug tool.. and I can remove then with it as well. but I always do it in a trash bag and I always order an extera spring and detent caus if I don't send one flying, I always know some one who did and those things are good as gold at 9:00pm the night befor a shoot :p i think they are .75 and .50 each

Fjold
01-08-2007, 5:44 AM
I use a feeler gauge..

Me too, twice last week as a matter of fact

Mike 56
01-08-2007, 6:18 AM
I used a extra take down pin worked great

Mike

pklin1297
01-08-2007, 8:51 AM
I used the pivot pin itself, using the front part to hold down the detent then slide the pivot pin all the way in. Only time I need to use a tool is when I need to remove the pin.

chiefcrash
02-20-2007, 9:05 PM
I used the pivot pin itself, using the front part to hold down the detent then slide the pivot pin all the way in. Only time I need to use a tool is when I need to remove the pin.

speaking of which...

how in the hell do you remove the damn pin???

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 9:12 PM
speaking of which...

how in the hell do you remove the damn pin???
Separate the upper from the lower.

With the front pivot pin out, insert a paper clip or small allen wrench into the small hole in the pivot pin that's conveniently placed over the pivot pin detent. Insert it until the detent pin is depressed far enough to clear the groove in the pivot pin.

Rotate the pivot pin far enough that the groove is clear of the detent pin.

Remove the pivot pin.

Be careful the detent pin doesn't fly off in to limbo.

chiefcrash
02-20-2007, 9:22 PM
Separate the upper from the lower.

With the front pivot pin out, insert a paper clip or small allen wrench into the small hole in the pivot pin that's conveniently placed over the pivot pin detent. Insert it until the detent pin is depressed far enough to clear the groove in the pivot pin.

Rotate the pivot pin far enough that the groove is clear of the detent pin.

Remove the pivot pin.

Be careful the detent pin doesn't fly off in to limbo.

i don't know if i got some sort of defective pivot pin, a really old one, or what because mine doesn't seem to have a hole....

this is gonna get interesting...

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 9:26 PM
i don't know if i got some sort of defective pivot pin, a really old one, or what because mine doesn't seem to have a hole....

this is gonna get interesting... Alternative method is to bend a paper clip at a 90 degree angle with a short leg. Slide the short leg into the groove on the backside of the extended pivot pivot until the tip pushes the detent down. Then rotate the pin and paper clip until the curved side of the pivot pin holds the detent in the hole.

ETA: Attached a jpg of the Army prefered tool for pivot pin removal